Bolens QT 16 Drive Shaft ?

/ Bolens QT 16 Drive Shaft ? #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
For the past 6 months I have tried to remove the main drive shaft (motor to hydrostat rear tranny). I had posted a tread before because the u joint closest to the engine snapped. I am now trying to remove the rear most part of the drive shaft as it articulates with the hydrostat tranny. I have tried every form of rust buster including KROIL and even tried heating very carefully so as not to fry the hydrostat seal or the aluminum casing. As best i could tell the locking screw had been removed but iI drilled down to what appears the AL of the hydrostat shaft. I have tried beating with every size wedge to loosen it to no avail. I am reluctant to apply more heat but I really don't know where to go from here. I have provided pictures of the connection. If only a gear remover was fashoned to do the job or would a small hydralic wedge jack be applied???

Anyone have any suggestions???

Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 700
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 337
   / Bolens QT 16 Drive Shaft ?
Hello: Me again. I have had no replies in the past week or so. In the second picture, I have over drilled the set screw hole to insure all of the ?set screw was removed. I then drilled this hole thru and thru.
again after a bath or rust buster and Kroil oil , it won't bulge. I guess I'll have to try and heat again but set up as much of a heat shield so as not to disturb the hydro stat tranny mechanism. Any other recommendations. How does one dis mantle what I call a "cold weld", if this is what occurred?
Thanks Again...DocRocky

/ Bolens QT 16 Drive Shaft ? #3  
It looks as if heat will be the only way out. I'd make a thin piece of plate and cut a "U" out of it so it'll slip over the shaft providing you have enough room which may not be he case, it might keep the direct heat off the seal. Have a bottle of water ready to douse the shaft when it comes apart and be sure to have a good size acetylene torch for heat, that way it'll get up to temp fast and hopefully not have enough time to soak into the shaft/seal area, and keep turning it. ......Mike

/ Bolens QT 16 Drive Shaft ? #4  
I would not heat it, heating it will make it hot, it wont move it, I would use a wedge, like a small chisel or pry bar and a brass or rubber hammer, even better a hammer drill with a blunt edge to knock it loose. I've taken these off before, the challenge isn't teh same as a steering wheel, the challenge is you cant get to the place i which to work on it. I never use heat if I can help it.

oologahan: thanks for the response. I was finally able to get the darn coupling loose from the tranny input shaft. I had to stand the tractor up vertically, after draining out all of the engine oil. Working from the plate in front of the seat as well as from underneath, I and a friend beat against the shaft and yolk with every type of chisels, crow bar and some of the worse language I have ever used (in silence of course) as well as every rust buster and even Kroil but no success. I even drilled out the set screw and over drilled the hole to insure nothing could still be holding it up. I also used cautious heat but no success.

What finally helped was the use of a pickle fork and a massive hammering. It did fracture a piece of the tranny housing lip which held the lock ring. We wer able to get it half off, then I had to heat it but I packed sand and a license plate cut out to act as a heat sink and I finally got it clean off.

Since the universal joint on this tractor is no repairable and not replaceable, I tried contacting Sonny's Bolens but something is not well there in Indiana. I finally ended up at our local Fleet Pride and they were able to use the remaining shaft and replaced with a Spicer universal joint. Now of course the reassembly will be a challenge and I'll let you all know the out come.

Docrocky

/ Bolens QT 16 Drive Shaft ? #6  
I don't know why the Bolens drive shafts seem so much harder to remove than others, probably cause we never have to remove them, lol, Good luck if you need anything, I can usually find those parts. i know an old Bolens dealer that has a giant barn full of parts and old tractors, I doubt he even knows what he's got, but he did buy 2 or 3 QT-17s off me.

oologahan: thanks for the response. I was finally able to get the darn coupling loose from the tranny input shaft. I had to stand the tractor up vertically, after draining out all of the engine oil. Working from the plate in front of the seat as well as from underneath, I and a friend beat against the shaft and yolk with every type of chisels, crow bar and some of the worse language I have ever used (in silence of course) as well as every rust buster and even Kroil but no success. I even drilled out the set screw and over drilled the hole to insure nothing could still be holding it up. I also used cautious heat but no success.

What finally helped was the use of a pickle fork and a massive hammering. It did fracture a piece of the tranny housing lip which held the lock ring. We wer able to get it half off, then I had to heat it but I packed sand and a license plate cut out to act as a heat sink and I finally got it clean off.

Since the universal joint on this tractor is no repairable and not replaceable, I tried contacting Sonny's Bolens but something is not well there in Indiana. I finally ended up at our local Fleet Pride and they were able to use the remaining shaft and replaced with a Spicer universal joint. Now of course the reassembly will be a challenge and I'll let you all know the out come.

Docrocky

Dear oologahan: I have now been able to install the repaired drive shaft (new universal joint done by local Fleet Pride). As I had the tractor tilted vertically in order to work on the under side, tanny fluid leaked out. I assume it came from the heat relief valve (similar to the Cub Cadets? possibly).

Question now is what type of tranny fluid does the Bolens QT16 with hydro stat tranny take. Is it 10w hydraulic or a special blend?

DocRocky