Bolens G172 Iseki TX1500

/ Bolens G172 Iseki TX1500 #1  

Maxfli

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2210
I have had this tractor since last summer, and so far am very happy with the performance. Added a Loader, 3-point parts, and general maintenance. Made up for the lack of 4-WD with the addition of weights and chains, hope I am still happy in the spring when the work really starts.

I have 2 issues:

1) Cold weather starting, I added a Block heater on the engine and the Engine will be warm to the touch and it still will not turn over. In the heated garage it cranks right over, Battery seems new, but I always need to jump it in the cold.

2)When the unit does start it makes a fairly loud kind of 'Rod knock' (I don't know how else to describe it) just when it starts. Within the the first second or two the noise goes away and the tractor idles smoothly with no apparent blowby. Is this normal for a Diesel, am I simply waiting for the oil pressure to come up, everything else I have owned has been a standard gas engine Cub Cadet. Recently changed the oil, seemed like it had not been done in a while.

Thanks
Bruce

/ Bolens G172 Iseki TX1500 #2  
Regarding your cold weather questions- are you saying that the tractor does not turn over at all when cold? it sounds like you have an electrical problem if that is the case. If simply attaching another battery to the tractor battery via jumper cables solves the problem, then your battery is not performing. Easy enough to fix /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for the knock, not hearing it of course, it is probably normal. When small diesels are cold, the injection process at the injector tends to create an air pressure 'bang' - someone on this board explained it very well.....anyhow, with a few revolutions, the intake side of the engine is warm enough to eliminate the situation.

I would suggest preheating longer with your glow plugs if possible, to reduce the knock. On my kubota I was never able to completely reduce it, but my Massey was a great quiet starter if I preheated long enough.

Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Bolens G172 Iseki TX1500
Steve,

Thanks for the info on the engine noise, I will try to heat glow plugs longer. The tractor does turnover in cold weather, just 5 or 6 slow rotations of the engine and then dies. Previous owner put in a new battery (its a Lawn Tractor battery) I don't see anything on the battery about the number of AMPs. I am beginning to think the battery is undersized. I think the specs call for 45 AMPs.

/ Bolens G172 Iseki TX1500 #4  
I have the same tractor and it is also hard starting when it is cold. Also there is the loud knock when it is cold. I am in the process of checking the specifications of engine oil to see if I can use a lighter synthetic oil instead of the traditional heavier oils that are recommended. Also when you say cold how cold do you mean? One think that I have to be careful of is making sure that I use winter diesel instead of summer. Summer diesel will get heavier or gel, I use fuel conditioner but it is always good to get fresh fuel for the season.

/ Bolens G172 Iseki TX1500 #5  
If it is a lawn tractor battery you absolutely need a bigger battery...! Any diesel takes way more load than a little lawn mower, I always buy a marine battery at walmart (if it will fit) for my tractors. I had a little Kubota the size of yours and got the largest marine battery ($60) to fit - made a real difference running the glo plugs for 2 minutes in super cold. In my ford currently I have a deep cycle truck and bus battery. Maybe I am neurotic, but batteries are pretty cheap and make a big winter difference.

/ Bolens G172 Iseki TX1500 #6  
Maxfli,
The cold weather problem you describe with the "engine warm to the touch but it won't turn over" is likely caused by your battery being cold. You're battery is definitely undersized.

I have experienced a knock in the engine prior to warm up. My G152 has the Mitsubishi engine. I'm not sure if the G172 has the Mitsubishi or Isuzu engine (or maybe something else).

There is a user group on Yahoo! called BolensDeiselGroup you may want to check out. Several long time Bolens owners and parts suppliers monitor that board. They've helped me out over the years.

Thanks for the Heads up on the Yahoo Site, I have been there. More activity over on this site though. I am at work but I think the G172 has a Mitsubishi KE engine, but I can't remeber for sure.

Thanks Steve, Sounds like a new Battery is the fix. On issue of fuel, I do have whats left of 5 gallons from this summer, while I did put some additive in the tractor, I didnt put any in the gas can, when I went to top off the tractor the diesel was almost gelatinous. I was wicked cold here (Chicagoland) last week.