How to determine my tractor is a Bolens?

/ How to determine my tractor is a Bolens? #1  

Bostenr

Tractor
Bolens Iseki G152 and Troy-Bilt 2246
Iseki Serial Number.jpgIseki side view.jpgIseki Serial Number.jpgIseki left front.jpgIseki right front.jpgIseki right rear.jpgIseki right side.jpgIseki side view.jpgHelp! I picked up a fairly rough looking tractor. It is either a Bolens G152, or an Iseki TX1300 tractor. It is painted all white, but does not have any decals whatsoever. Im trying to determine if it is a Bolens badged Iseki, or just an Iseki. Is there a way to find out based on the serial number? The only other identifying mark is the medallion in the center of the steering wheel says FMC. I'm restoring it and want to make sure I do it up right.

Ray

Last edited:
   / How to determine my tractor is a Bolens? #2  
Welcome to TBN.
Can you post pics?

/ How to determine my tractor is a Bolens?
Thomas...pics are attached.

Ray

/ How to determine my tractor is a Bolens? #4  
Have you try tractordata.com for info. ?

I have. The pics they have show the Bolens is white, and the Iseki is blue, so Im thinking mine is a Bolens. But was hoping for something definitive.

/ How to determine my tractor is a Bolens? #6  
Have you try web search under images?... Bolens G152

Have you try web search under images?... Bolens G152

Yes sir. Other than the decals, it looks like the G152. But also looks like the Iseki. I guess since its white, I'll have to assume its a Bolens, so will get the decal kit for a G152.

/ How to determine my tractor is a Bolens? #8  
I'd say it was sold new as a Bolens G152 which is the imported-by-Bolens Iseki TX1300. Unless someone attempted to "convert" it to avoid the gray market tractor thing but that, at least to me, wouldn't be worth doing. Even the Bolen's branded tractors had nameplates that stated Iseki on them so that won't help much. I haven't really seen any "Blue Isekis" have the auxiliary hydraulic mount on the fender, but that doesn't mean it wasn't added or that the Isekis didn't come with them. If you scrape off some of the paint and find blue underneath then you'll know one way or the other. I don't think Bolens repainted them but instead ordered them directly in white from Japan, at least that would make a lot more sense. Also the sticker like the one under the front left hood grill leads me to think it's an official Bolens. The front tire size seems to be indicative of Bolens too. I think all the Isekis had the skinny tall front tires for that particular model. The linkage for the fuel lever was opposite on the official Bolens version - off was to the rear. On the Isekis, off was pushed all the way forward.

They are a relatively easy restore in my opinion. They clean up real nice since there is little in the way of sheet metal (compared to a car at least) and you can't really hurt the rest of it in terms of damage and rusting away. Too bad it wasn't 4wd, they are a little more fun but the 2wds are still great tractors. Good luck with the project and keep us in the loop. I'd post in the Iseki forum as that is a closer match and you'll find a lot more applicable information there.

Last edited:
Thank you for the insight. I scratched the paint and there is no blue, so Bolens it is. I have it tore apart, with all the white pieces going for powder coat. As soon as I can find an affordable steering gear box, I'll finish painting the frame and rear axle. Then back together it goes. I'll try and post pics.

/ How to determine my tractor is a Bolens? #10  
Parts, although available if you look hard enough, are a mixed bag in terms of price and new vs. old - although new, in general, are harder to find. I actually decided it was more cost effective just to keep a spare parts tractor on hand since a couple parts can cost more than a whole tractor. A radiator and a couple of good rims and tires can start to approach a whole spare. Of course, whole tractors aren't necessarily easy to come by, but if you do find one they are usually fairly cheap as you likely experienced. I haven't had any significant reliability issues with any of them once I fixed the problems I acquired them with. Even the spare parts tractor (looks nearly identical to yours except it was a g172) is more reliable and better built than most of my riding mowers and I use it on occasion just for fun.