LBrown59

Super Star Member
First organized permanent settlement in the northw
Tractor
2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500
1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor.
I came across this tractor today.
It is a one owner and has a 38'' MMM.
It has always been garage kept and well maintained.
It is in excellent to nearly mint condition and has seen very little use.
All the man did with it was to use it occasionally to mow his yard.

This is all original and has not been restored rebuilt or redone.

Can anybody tell me what this tractor should be worth?

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #2  
My uncle sold his 1970 Bolens in Gd. cond. for $70 that. This '68 bolens should sell for around that area.

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #3  
Although it's old... if it's in good condition I'm sure it's worth more than $70! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lbrown... what kind of engine is on it?

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #4  
I own a bolens 850 while in high school. Mowed many many MANY lawns with it. Pushed more snow than I care to remember.

Absolute brute of a tractor. In 1975 I bought it for $400.00. In 1977, I sold it for $400.00.

Twin Tube frame, cast iron differental, always started. I remember the starter was also the generator.

I would use the Wheel Horse models as a similar comparison for worth.

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #5  
Based on what I see on Ebay, a Bolens Tube frame in good condition, with minimal rust and a mower deck, and a solid non-smoking engine would sell for $400-600, possibly more if equipped with rear sleeve hitch. As always, condition is everything in determining value.

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #6  
LBrown59 said:
1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor.
I came across this tractor today.
It is a one owner and has a 38'' MMM.
It has always been garage kept and well maintained.
It is in excellent to nearly mint condition and has seen very little use.
All the man did with it was to use it occasionally to mow his yard.

This is all original and has not been restored rebuilt or redone.

Sounds interesting... :)
How much are they asking for it?

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #7  
I wouldn't buy anything Bolens. Once had one of their lawn mowers. Hit something and bent the crankshaft. Replaced it. Hit something again and bent the new one. They're not made right.

Ralph

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #8  
RalphVa said:
I wouldn't buy anything Bolens. Once had one of their lawn mowers. Hit something and bent the crankshaft. Replaced it. Hit something again and bent the new one. They're not made right.

Ralph

That can happen with any tractor. A bent crankshaft is in the engine, and Bolens didn't build the engine did they? I'll bet that it was a walk behind rotary mower with a vertical crankshaft. They bent so frequently that a company made a machine to straighten the crankshafts, not that they were worth straightening. Those mowers always had cheap engines on them. You get what you pay for. Besides, it is a lawn mower, not a rock crusher. You hit rocks, you bend crankshafts on those mowers. :D
Dusty

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #9  
If ya bend the crank on an 850 how bout some pictures,,,, not of the crank, but the project that caused it!!!! LOL Bolens is a pretty tuff machine,, right up there with 2 wheeled Gravely's,,,,, If I didn't have a CUT, comm12, ST 160, and a 2136 I'd definitely have a tubeframe or a largeframe.

/ 1968 BOLENS 850 Tractor. #10  
If in truly excellent cosmetic and working condition with working mower and if it has good running cast iron Kohler or Tecumseh engine, I'm sure if marketed right that Bolens could fetch $500-600. They are an excellent classic tractor.

-Fordlords-