Bolens - noise from deck

/ Bolens - noise from deck #1  

dceonline

Well, I just solved a gas issue, only to find another problem... This is a Bolens Eliminator ST125 hydro with 38" deck. I'm getting a grinding noise from the deck - it's intermittent, but especially noticeable if I have the throttle on low. At first I thought maybe I left a socket on the deck or something. I've tried tightening everything but nothing loose. It sounds as if the left blade is hitting something but don't see any indication. It's intermittent - like a really heavy vibration/grinding - and then it sounds fine for a bit - then back to the noise. If the throttle is on high it's nowhere near as noticeable (for obvious reasons).

If anyone has any thoughts on what I could check that would be great. Here's what I did so far:

checked & tightened the belt a bit (looks fine)
checked all bolts & connections I could find nothing loose
removed and re-attached blades
measured blades to the garage floor & they're even
no indication of blades hitting the deck

The last time I heard a noise like this one of the nuts came loose on the chute guard and it was vibrating (albeit consistently).

If this is a bearing issue (god forbid!) is there anything I can do myself or is it not worth it? Any way to tell for sure if it's bearings??

Thanks for any help...

/ Bolens - noise from deck #2  
I have an ST125 5spd 36" deck circa 1993. I replaced the spindles on my mow deck last year. I dont recall the exact cost off hand but it was pretty reasonable and easy to do. All I can offer you is process of elimination. Run the tractor full throttle like when you mow except with the deck disengaged. But it does sound like you are confident the noise is from the deck. Taking all safety precautions, have someone sit on the mower with the deck running and you hunt for the noise. Its hard to pin-point a noise when your sitting on the tractor, easier if your able to stand back and take in the bigger picture, walk around it etc. When you hear the noise, do you feel any increased vibrations also? Did you check the idler pully on the deck? Is the PTO electric? If so, maybe your having a clutch issue. Maybe its worn. I dont know how old/new the Eliminator is. I'm just throwin out to see what sticks. Good Luck.

/ Bolens - noise from deck
Hi
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, we checked into it and it's definitely loudest right at the spindle on each side. Did yours have the same kind of sporadic grinding sound or did you change them for some other reason? It's funny we called around here and everyone is telling me that Bolens went out of business so parts of this nature are unavailable and it's time to buy a new tractor! ;-) We went on Ebay and found a couple people selling pairs of bearings, but the part number doesn't quite match the one my manual says I need. Any chance they're cross compatible? I bought my mower back in 1987 maybe part #'s changed. Do you recall the part # you used - and did you need anything else (new spindle?)... THANKS!

/ Bolens - noise from deck #4  
everyone is telling me that Bolens went out of business
==== <font color="red"> ******** </font> ====
Bolens sold their lawn and garden tractor business to MDT.
MTD did not continue building the original Bolens garden tractors but instead re labeled their cheap inferior products and stuck a husky label on them.

Is your tractor the original Bolens built by Bolens or is it the cheapo built by MTD?

I have 2 38 inch Bolens mower decks.
One from a 1966 Bolens model 850
The other is from a 1967 Bolens 850.

Don't know if these would fit your tractor or not.

/ Bolens - noise from deck #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, we checked into it and it's definitely loudest right at the spindle on each side. Did yours have the same kind of sporadic grinding sound or did you change them for some other reason? It's funny we called around here and everyone is telling me that Bolens went out of business so parts of this nature are unavailable and it's time to buy a new tractor! ;-) We went on Ebay and found a couple people selling pairs of bearings, but the part number doesn't quite match the one my manual says I need. Any chance they're cross compatible? I bought my mower back in 1987 maybe part #'s changed. Do you recall the part # you used - and did you need anything else (new spindle?)... THANKS! )</font>

I will see if I still have the reciept and check the number. I can call my dealer and see what he says. I forget what exactly caused me to replace the spindles but wifey ran over a tree stump once that kinda bent the deck some and I didnt tighten the blades tight enough during replacement and ended up chewing the splines off the shaft. What I did learn is that the bearings are accessable once the spindle is removed. You might get by with a greasing for awhile. Might by some time while searching for parts. The "sealed" bearings are not sealed very well. Mine were in pretty rough shape after 11-12 years. Sounds like you have the same problem as I have, tractor is still in good shape but the deck is dying a slow death...

Steve

LBrown59 - Yeah, it's funny how misinformation manifests. I agree that the Bolens quality did die when you consider the product itself. Mine is a true blue (or should I say Green) '87 Bolens Eliminator. A friends father worked for Bolens at the time out here in Wisconsin, and actually did the inspection on mine plus I got a discount. It has really been a tough little tractor considering its rather meager specs compared to todays models...

I left messages with the couple of ebayers selling the bearings to see what they know about compatibility - that would be the easiest solution although I imagine it will be a bear to get the spindle module apart! As for the decks I wish I knew what would fit what... Thanks...

BX1 -

Thanks for checking that for me... yeah, I've seen a couple of used decks come and go over time online out in this area, and almost considered picking one up as a spare. Kinda wish I had done that now, but who knows it could be another bearing problem waiting to happen too. Oddly enough I actually ran across someone with a NEW deck online but too far away. I didn't think a new deck could possibly exist for these models considering the age.

If I can get this bearing issue fixed I'm just going to run this thing as long as it will go. If not - well, what exactly happens when the bearings go completely? I've never experienced operating machinery when bearings go - doesn't sound like a good idea to just keep running it as is.

Maybe I'll just rip the thing open and like you said grease them - mainly because I really should find out what else will need replacing if anything.

Thanks

/ Bolens - noise from deck #8  
Hey, guys, I've been there before. Swapping out the bearings is no great big deal... unless the race has spun on the shaft... If you bust one of those towers apart, be sure you drill and tap it for a zerk. Then it doesn't matter if you use sealed bearings... silicone up the mating surfaces of the tower, and the grease will be contained. I'm just getting ready to do this to our "new" ST 125. The bearings can be matched at your local NAPA store, (and no, they didn't pay me to say that) It'll generally save a few... I've had several riders here at DeadOxRanch, and this place EATS MTD's. Before the Bolens, (several mowers ago) we had a Simplicity. That's the second-best tractor ever out here... It was OLD. Sixties, I think, and had several glaring similarities w/the Bolens we have... really nice tractors. Happy Trails, The Neighbor

/ Bolens - noise from deck #9  
Well, I just solved a gas issue, only to find another problem... This is a Bolens Eliminator ST125 hydro with 38" deck. I'm getting a grinding noise from the deck - it's intermittent, but especially noticeable if I have the throttle on low. At first I thought maybe I left a socket on the deck or something. I've tried tightening everything but nothing loose. It sounds as if the left blade is hitting something but don't see any indication. It's intermittent - like a really heavy vibration/grinding - and then it sounds fine for a bit - then back to the noise. If the throttle is on high it's nowhere near as noticeable (for obvious reasons).

If anyone has any thoughts on what I could check that would be great. Here's what I did so far:

checked & tightened the belt a bit (looks fine)
checked all bolts & connections I could find nothing loose
removed and re-attached blades
measured blades to the garage floor & they're even
no indication of blades hitting the deck

The last time I heard a noise like this one of the nuts came loose on the chute guard and it was vibrating (albeit consistently).

If this is a bearing issue (god forbid!) is there anything I can do myself or is it not worth it? Any way to tell for sure if it's bearings??
well i can tell you its the bearing i had a bolens 850 and a john deere that both had the same problem now if it sat for a long time and there's a grease fitting you might be able to just grease it like that or take of the blade and there's a thick metal disc take that off grease it and try that but i had to replace every thing spindals and all but you can just get bearing and replace thoose or get a junk deck and switch out parts thats just a few things i can think of.:eek:
Thanks for any help...[/QUOTe bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Last edited: