Ridger

/ Ridger #1  

milkman

Elite Member
Ky. Between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
Tractor
BX2200, BCS 735
When I started my garden this spring, the first thing I planted was potatoes, it was going to rain so I didn't have time to come up with one, so I made the ridges the hard way, I pulled them up with a hoe, up one side and down the other.
I almost ordered the hiller discs from on-line, but then I spied something in a pile of junk that I thought I could make work. It was the front end out of a Sears lawn tractor, and I had a couple extra disc blades laying around so I came up with this contraption. Had to weld a little and cool then weld some more since the wheels have plastic bushings.

Pic1 The turnbuckle adjusts the angle of the discs.

Last pic is of the ridge for sweet potato slips, forgot to get a pic after I got them in.

Attachments

• Ridger1.JPG
    Ridger1.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 1,979
  • Ridger2.JPG
    Ridger2.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,413
  • Ridger3.JPG
    Ridger3.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 1,249
  • Ridger4.JPG
    Ridger4.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,118
  • Ridger5.JPG
    Ridger5.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,171
  • Ridger6.JPG
    Ridger6.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,358
   / Ridger #2  
Wow, what a great project. I really like the way you use the reciever hitch to mount it. The weights look like they would lift off easily, making installing the attachment easier and safer.

The other very nice touch is that you show the results pictures f how the project works. Sometimes we never find out if something works well, which is perhaps much more important that how it looks.

BTW, I have learned to not paint something until after it has been proven to work well because sometimes a tweek or adjustment is needed.

Regards,

/ Ridger #3  
JRP said:
BTW, I have learned to not paint something until after it has been proven to work well because sometimes a tweek or adjustment is needed.

I usually keep some cheap spray paint from the surplus discount store around in the shop, to give projects a quick coat of paint, which i can weld through when needed. This way i dont spend hours grinding off the rust when the project is completed.

Usually my projects take longer than it takes metal to corrode badly ;)
When i'm totally statisfie, i prime over the cheap paint and apply a thick layer of premium brand paints.

/ Ridger #4  
Milkman, what keeps the pins from lifting out of the QC's?

I like the use of inventory better than next months wages.

/ Ridger
Renze
After I got the ridger together, I already had the potatoes planted so I didn't think I would need it this year so it ended up behind the shed, then my cousin asked me if I wanted some sweet potato slips, so I pulled it out and used it like it looks, now that I see how well it works and know that I'll use it again next year, I'll get out the angle grinder and wire brush and go to work.

Cletus
If you look real close at pic three where the drawbar pin is in the hook, you can see the latch that holds it in, it is spring loaded, and on top of the Easy Change there is a lifter that raises and pulls the latch back to release the drawbar. They're real knuckle and time savers and the neighbors don't hear nearly as much blue language since I got them.:D

/ Ridger #7  
Very nice. I just added another item on my list of 'to build' projects. I've certainly got the raw materials for it. :)

Two questions, though...

1. Can I assume correctly that the discso rotate or are they fixed?
2. How much weight is on there?

Thanks,

-srj

/ Ridger
Since it worked so well at making a ridge, I decided to clean it up and paint it so it will look better till I can use it next year.

Attachments

• RidgerI.JPG
    RidgerI.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 821
  • RidgerII.JPG
    RidgerII.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 619
  • RidgerIII.JPG
    RidgerIII.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 548
  • RidgerIV.JPG
    RidgerIV.JPG