Another Grapple

/ Another Grapple #1  

KAB

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20
After reading about how usefull a grapple can be and threads like:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/48738-question-about-grapple.html? from pineridge
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/96910-low-buck-grapple-build.html? from ryan03
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/84907-tatro-grapples-wr-long-valves.html? from 3rrl

I decided to build a grapple. I liked ryan03's idea of using a box blade shank and priced them at Tractor Supply for approx $27ea. Until I walked through a Lowes on evening and found 3 pieces of 1/2" x 2" x 3' of steel for $5 ea. (The following day I went back to Lowes to see if they had more of the steel and found some in overhead storage so I asked an employee if they were a discontinued item, and they were. I then asked what they would be willing to sell them for if I bought the remaining pieces... Sold at $4ea.) figured that I could cut and weld the bars into what looked like a grapple arm. (first Pic)

After I had the arm pieces cut I welded them up (second pic). I then used part of 2 more peices to make an angle bracket and the mounting points for the arms and hyd cyl. (see 3rd pic for outcome.)

This is where I found that trying to find a hyd cyl that would let the grapple open and close the most was going to be an interesting experience. (sorry no pics of this process.) The Kioti CK20 bucket opening is either smaller that what most grapples are designed for or the grapples that are available on ebay would not have worked the way that I would have wanted. I found that a cyl with a 6" stroke would have probably caused some problems. (I looked at a lot of pictures on ebay to try to figure out how to create a grapple.) To help figure out which size of cyl would work the best, I used a bunch of scrape peices of steel and the mounting "plate" and 1 arm attached to the bucket and tried to get an accurate measurement of the min retracted lenght and the maximum extended lenght the cyl could be.

Once I had a rough estimate of the cyl size I then check Surplus Center - Hydraulic Equipment Electric Motors for a cyl that would fit. As I narrowed down the cyl choices I decided to use the top link from 3ph with the measurements marked on it in marker to make sure the cyl that I selected would work. I found this cyl. Surplus Center Item Detail. (this cyl will be used for another project. It has been tested for the other project and worked as expected but I need to rework a bracket before I post what I did.)

Once I got the the cyl, I did some test fitting to make sure that I had the proper placement of the cyl. to ensure the correct operation of opening and closing. (4th and 5th pic)

I then welded it all up (6th pic) and painted it.

When I went to use it I found that between the final test fit and welding it together the cyl mounting on the cross tube somehow move about a 1/4" out of position and required some temp mods to make it usable. I did not have the camera with me when I put it to use for the first time but can tell you I was able to pick up an 14" base by about 50' long cherry log. and about another 20' top section of the same tree in 1 grab. (I should have pics of the log and brush piles in the next week or so.)

Need to go for now but will fill in with more info as time permits.

Kurt

Attachments

• Straight and Cut.JPG
    Straight and Cut.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1,233
  • Arm Welded Up.JPG
    Arm Welded Up.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,030
  • mounting bracket.JPG
    mounting bracket.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,041
  • Final Test Closed.JPG
    Final Test Closed.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,157
  • Final test open.JPG
    Final test open.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,190
  • Welded Up.JPG
    Welded Up.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,366
   / Another Grapple #2  
Thats a great looking Grapple!:D

/ Another Grapple #3  
Pretty nice Job! I'll be interested in seeing how it works. Bet it will do you good.

/ Another Grapple #4  
Very nice grapple. Those flap disks are amazing huh! I like your sturdy cylinder mounting brackets. Good Job.

Mike

/ Another Grapple #5  
Well done. I can't wait to see it in action. Post a couple pics of it eating a stump or something.

/ Another Grapple #6  
It looks great, well done!

/ Another Grapple #7  
Indeed! A great looking grapple.
You did a really good job of getting the pivot geometry correct for your bucket. I like how heavy duty your grapple jaw is, using that 1/2" thick bar stock. Can't wait to see the photos of you using it.

/ Another Grapple
I had a chance to do some work and get some pictures. I decided to grab one log by the end to pull it out if the woods, it sure was easier than hooking a chain and pulling it out first. One area that I was really please with was the ability to be able to pick up 55gal barrels of water. (I use them to water plants at our remote property.)

Kurt

Attachments

• 100_0709.JPG
    100_0709.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 932
  • 100_0712.JPG
    100_0712.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 790
  • 100_0716.JPG
    100_0716.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 755
  • 100_0717.JPG
    100_0717.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 728
  • 100_0718.JPG
    100_0718.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 720
  • 100_0719.JPG
    100_0719.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 748
  • 100_0720.JPG
    100_0720.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 852
   / Another Grapple #9  
Thanks for sharing those pictures.
The grapple works great and that 55 gallon drum fits the radius of your jaws perfectly. Good job. Bet you're happy too.

/ Another Grapple #10  
That looks like it is one very successful project. When I saw the pics of the barrels I had a vision of what would happen if you REALLY clamped down on a full barrel. :eek: I must be destructive by nature!!!:D

Mike