Unloading gravel from a flatbed trailer

/ Unloading gravel from a flatbed trailer #1  

Jim_in_Omaha

Gold Member
Tractor
LK3054
I sometimes haul upwards of 3 ton of gravel on my flatbed trailer that I put box sides on. The problem is of course unloading it. I usually drive it up on a ridge with the tail of the trailer on the ground and use the tractor loader to unload it which works but is slow and difficult.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has found a quick and easy way to unload such a payload, poor man style.

thanks

/ Unloading gravel from a flatbed trailer #2  
I have the same issue, whether it's mulch, gravel, or other.

Best I can do is drop the trailer, then hook up to the tractor, use 3PH to raise it as high as possible, place a couple of blocks to keep it that way, unhook, remove the rear ramp, and start unloading from the back end.

Saw some of those EZ Dump trailers at TSC last week, not super-heavy duty, but, I'd be willing to make a second trip if all it took was a DUMP when i got home.

/ Unloading gravel from a flatbed trailer #3  
I've put chain link fence down on the bottom of my trailer and wrap it back over the hitch end of the pile a little so it is coming over the top of the pile then chain up both ends and chain it all to a tree and drive away. It's a little rough on the trailer but it works pretty good. I roll the ends of the fence around a metal post a few times to keep the fence straight.

/ Unloading gravel from a flatbed trailer #4  
If you guys have tractors with loaders, why don't you just unhook the trailer and use the loader with a chain to pick up the tougue of the trailer until everything is out on the ground (lift up 6-7 feet). Pull the trailer out of the way and use the loader to level out the pile. If your trailers and rear "bumpers" can handle it. That's how my Dad's neighbor does it with a 8 foot pickup bed that is modified into a trailer.

/ Unloading gravel from a flatbed trailer #5  
Tipping the trailer with the front loader is how i used to do it too, with my small 1 axle car trailer. For the heavier stuff we have a 5 ton tractor drawn dump trailer.

Another cheap option is to put a strong carpet or cloth underneath. Secure the back end of the tarp to the back end of the trailer, and secure the front end of the tarp to a tree. Then just drive off, while pulling the tarp over the gravel load. This way it pulls the tarp over the gravel, instead of pulling tarp with gravel on top of it, out of the trailer (so you end up with a load of gravel on top of a tarp, on your driveway ;) )

/ Unloading gravel from a flatbed trailer
Will the tarp or chain link fence work with 3 tons?

/ Unloading gravel from a flatbed trailer #7  
Jim_in_Omaha said:
I sometimes haul upwards of 3 ton of gravel on my flatbed trailer that I put box sides on. The problem is of course unloading it. I usually drive it up on a ridge with the tail of the trailer on the ground and use the tractor loader to unload it which works but is slow and difficult.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has found a quick and easy way to unload such a payload, poor man style.

thanks

With a flatbed trailer, why not just take the side boards off and roll it off with a sand shovel. Don't try to lift each shovel full up and throw it but rather use your leg as a fulcrum and slide it off. Three ton would take only a few minutes to move.

/ Unloading gravel from a flatbed trailer #8  
Have you looked into the Load Handler?
Welcome to Loadhandler.com
I have the 2000 full size model and use it in my pickup. It works great and I use it all the time. The 3000 model can be used to unload a flat bed.

/ Unloading gravel from a flatbed trailer #9  
I have used a tarp to unload one trick with heaver loads is to put z folds in it

tommu56

Last edited:
   / Unloading gravel from a flatbed trailer #10  
Work like the Egyptians. Place some 2” pipe down on the trailer, then place some plywood on top of the pipe, load the gravel on the plywood, secure the load, when you get home unsecure the load back up and hit the brakes. The whole load will roll right off the trailer.

Would I do this, probably not, but it was fun working on the problem.