Rock Bucket

/ Rock Bucket #1  

Hosskix

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 790
I've been threatening to do this ever since I bought my tractor.
Everytime I drop a blade on my place, a new crop of rocks begins to grow and I was getting tired of getting off the tractor and picking them up!

My camera was out of juice when I was doing the actual labor, so I'll just describe what and how.

I started out with a jig and 100' of 1" oil field sucker rod.
I cut the rod down to 4' lengths with a chop saw and began bending them to shape on the jig I'd built by tracing the outline of my existing FEL bucket.
I bent about six by hand, using the cutting torch to heat them, that was enough to find out that I needed help!
I went to HF and bought a $50 dollar 12 volt winch and used it for the other 20 bends.

I then took 2 4' lengths of 1 1/2" x 3/16" thick angle iron and cut 1" holes 1" apart and stuck my bent bars through them and welded them up.
Keeping them straight was the hardest part; I'm still going to have to reheat and rebend a few of the bars to make them line up right.

Next I built plates for the quick attach bucket mount and welded it to the rock bucket and spent an hour or so bending some 3/16" plate to form the hangers for the top of the bucket. (I wound up welding a piece of 1 1/8" OD bar to the plate and heating and beating until I got the correct hook shape.)
I also spent an hour trying to figure out how to tap the 1 1/8" bar for my pins on the bottom of the attachment; even using the drill press I couldn't get the pilot holes straight enough to tap them out larger and make it work.
Finally inspiration struck, I had a couple of implement pins from TSC in my barn, a couple of quick cuts and I welded them on!

The bucket works great in the sandy parts of my property, but it does pick up quite a bit of dirt with the rock.
Luckily the pins for the bottom attachment are not real tight so there is a bit of play and you can "shake" the loose dirt out the bottom.
You're pretty much stuck with the heavy clays though; and you don't want to try and use it when the ground is wet, but otherwise it was well worth the time and minimal cost to build!
All that's left to do is cut off the bars to even them up, even out a couple of the bends and add a little green paint.

Attachments

• attachment points1.jpg
    attachment points1.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 1,094
  • RB attached1.jpg
    RB attached1.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 849
  • Front attached1.jpg
    Front attached1.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 3,696
   / Rock Bucket #2  
That is pretty kool. I think you should leave the uneven lengths for digging. I think ya are gonna need something to hold the bars together at the "cutting edge" and putting a "point" on the bars would really make it a "digging tool". But really, it looks good.

/ Rock Bucket #3  
I am not that much of a fabricator but I do have a question. After you cut the bars off to the same length would it help to take a piece of 1/4 inch or maybe 3/8 flat stock and weld across the end at an angle. This would hold the ends in place and have something that would keep it from digging in as deep.

/ Rock Bucket #4  
I wouldn't worry too much about cutting them even yet but I would weld a piece of flat stock across the bottom before one rod gets caught on something and bends way out of shape. Would be a devil of a job to get ity straight again.

/ Rock Bucket #5  
That is nice! Wish I lived where "sucker rod" was available cheap@!

One hint (that would have been valuable a couple weeks ago!), On the cutting edge ends of the rods, if you would have cut a 1/4" slot 3" deep on the end of each rod, you could have slid a 1/4" x 4" hardened cutting edge into the slot. Then welded it up for a stronger bucket. Would have been a bit of work, but not too bad with a torch or plasma.

jb

/ Rock Bucket
Thanks for the comments guys!

You (almost everyone) are right about needing some kind of cross brace to hold the rods level and even.
I even cut a length of rod to go inside the bucket from one piece of the diamond plate to the other and welded to each rod.
I was just over anxious to try it out!

And I did pay for it!
I was using it as a rake over the weekend to windrow some rock and sure enough, one of the bars caught a mostly buried rock and bent up about 45° from the others, so I'll have to fix that now.

I do like the idea of having a cutting edge on it, but that would keep me from using it as a rake and hay/manure fork.
My initial idea was to put the brace 6-8" back from the points so that could use it for those things.

After getting the majority of the rocks out of the yard I used it as a rake again, with the bucket floating to rake out the yard and plant grass seed, I then swapped out buckets and floated back over it to cover/compress the seed.

I tell you, I honestly don't know how I lived 38 years without a tractor!

/ Rock Bucket #7  
Afternoon hosskix,
Looks real good !!! How about some action shots ??? :)