Homemade ROPS

/ Homemade ROPS #1  

svcguy

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240D / Massey Ferguson 135 / New Holland TN75F / Pasquali 988 and 997 / Goldoni 20A, 226 and Maxter 70RS / Ferrari 76 and 85 / Holder A50 / Valpadana VMC 180 / Long 610 4WD
While understanding that it is never recommended to make your own ROPS, I recently purchased a nice YM240D without any protection. Using 3/16 tube and flat plate, I welded up a quick and dirty solution to prevent a roll. Attachment uses the four bolts at the rear of the tractor (PTO guard) and top of axle attachment. This gives a bi-directional attachment at 90 degrees with large fasteners and distributes the stress over a large part of the tractor. I also fabricated a new PTO guard out of 1/8 plate, using it to reinforce the rear attaching plate. Attached are a couple of pictures before painting. I will add some more once painted and installed.

Attachments

• ROPS 001.jpg
    ROPS 001.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 5,176
  • ROPS 003.jpg
    ROPS 003.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 5,571
  • ROPS 004.jpg
    ROPS 004.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 7,993
   / Homemade ROPS #2  
Well, I don't know how well it will protect you, but it is about the prettiest welding I have ever seen. Correction-- it IS the prettiest welding I have EVER seen.

/ Homemade ROPS #4  
Somebody will probably hop in here to moan about the ROPS not being certified, but to those i say i'd volunteer to just buckle me up in the seat and roll the tractor.

Nice work, looks like you know your welder ;)

/ Homemade ROPS #5  
ok, is this for real? I agree, whether it works or not, that is some sexy looking welds!!!! Am I weird for saying sexy looking welds or just a TBN'oholic? Of course jealousy also kicks in, then there's the lonely nights with my welder having those one on one talks, and how I wish I could become a master welder, and blah blah blah.....

Awesome job and I'd sit in the seat of that tractor anyday with that ROPS!

Steve

/ Homemade ROPS
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I think there is good reason for people not to build their own ROPS, as they may not understand the limitations of design, their welds or the steel. Once you venture out on your own, you definately are on your own. I have built ROPS for cats and other equipment and they have been tested in the field and held up fine, including a multiple roll over on a track unit. I am confident this will do what it's designed to do, which is to prevent a flop from turning into a roll. It isn't as nice looking as a commercial bar, but then I'm not a stylish type of guy. Thought it may be of interest, but I do appreciate that there are many people who would not feel comfortable using a homemade ROPS.

/ Homemade ROPS #7  
Can you tell us about your welding setup? Those are really good looking welds.

/ Homemade ROPS
I have three welding setups, a 295 AMP AC buzz box, a 225 AMP AC/DC Miller gas driven on wheels and a Lincoln wire feed. In this particular case, I used the AC machine. Those are AC stick welds, a root pass of 6011 for deep penetration and a finish pass of 7014 run slightly hot. I often use 7018 for both or the finish pass, but to be honest I was just being lazy and didn't want to trailer the DC unit over to where I was working. (The 7018 likes DC reverse, where the 7014 is fine with AC). A 7018 DC bead would be looking better than what you see there.

The 6011 root is old school, but I prefer it when welding for strength. The fast freeze characteristic and deep penetration allows all position welding with no slowing down. Being a bit impatient, it also means I don't have to be flipping everything around all the time to get into position.

The 7014 is like writing with crayons, but admittedly it leaves a smooth weld. I run it hot so it flows nicely and use a very slight side to side whip to ensure a nice smooth margin at the side. I also watch the puddle closely to ensure for good fill. Don't know what else to say, it certainly isn't my best welding but am glad everyone liked it.

/ Homemade ROPS #9  
svcguy said:
...Don't know what else to say, it certainly isn't my best welding but am glad everyone liked it.

If that isn't your best welding, I'd like to see pictures of your best welding.

I'd be ecstatic if my best welds looked somewhat close to your less than best as seen in the pictures.

/ Homemade ROPS #10  
Thanks for being brave enough to post this.:D The drilled holes at the top of the ROPS are for mounting something like lights? I look forward to seeing pics of it on the tractor. Great job!

Mike