Easy way to drill big holes (step bits)

/ Easy way to drill big holes (step bits) #1  

bx24

Platinum Member
I have seen these bits for quite a while but I never thought about using them. I purchased the set below from Harbor freight for $8.99 on sale and I love them.

I have made 3/4 holes using a 14.4 cordless drill in 3/8 plate in about 30 seconds! I am currently surfing eBay to get a larger size (up to 1 3/8") for about $20. If you have a mill or a good size drill press you probably don't these style bits, but if you don't ... you cannot go wrong for the price.

Paul

Attachments

• step drills.GIF
    step drills.GIF
    23 KB · Views: 1,395
   / Easy way to drill big holes (step bits) #2  
Look for either the brand name UniBit or GreenLee, you won't regret the additional cost. I have been using a large GreenLee in my service truck for years for drilling holes in sheetmetal and plate steel and to this day they have never been sharpened.

/ Easy way to drill big holes (step bits) #3  
I need to get a set for my camp workshop. I have no way to drill large holes up there. Those should do the trick for me.
What size shanks?

/ Easy way to drill big holes (step bits) #4  
bx24 said:
I have seen these bits for quite a while but I never thought about using them. I purchased the set below from Harbor freight for $8.99 on sale and I love them.

I have made 3/4 holes using a 14.4 cordless drill in 3/8 plate in about 30 seconds! I am currently surfing eBay to get a larger size (up to 1 3/8") for about $20. If you have a mill or a good size drill press you probably don't these style bits, but if you don't ... you cannot go wrong for the price.

Paul

Step drills are really useful for drilling large holes (~ 1-1.5") in relatively thin sheet metal (e.g. electrical enclosures).

/ Easy way to drill big holes (step bits) #5  
At HF you get 3 bits in the set they 1/4 hex shank to fit like a driver tip wont slip in your drill. At one time I used the UNIBET brand but were just too expensive for me I'm cheep.

/ Easy way to drill big holes (step bits) #6  
I noticed the ad in the pic says "two flute design for faster cutting"
Do yours have two flutes? I've bought several of these sets from HF and they are one flute...
I've also found they are great for deburring and countersinking :)

/ Easy way to drill big holes (step bits) #7  
They are great bits indeed. Particularly good for enlarging a previously drilled hole that turned out too small. If only they were good for reducing holes drilled too big, or in the wrong place. :eek:

I agree that the UniBit or Greenlee bits are the best, but pricy.

/ Easy way to drill big holes (step bits)
Skyco ... I noticed the two flute comment as well. The ones I have used only have 1.

I would encourage anyone who is skeptical about these (like I was) to try them

/ Easy way to drill big holes (step bits) #9  
GaryM said:
They are great bits indeed. Particularly good for enlarging a previously drilled hole that turned out too small. If only they were good for reducing holes drilled too big, or in the wrong place. :eek:

Easy peasy! Just run the drill in reverse & the holes will close right up!

(I measured twice & its still too short)

/ Easy way to drill big holes (step bits) #10  
I have a #1 Unibit (1/8" to 1/2") that I bought on the advice of my brother 6 or 8 years ago. It's still in the package; never been opened or used.:D