Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Default Re: Failed Project - Homemade Blackberry Rake

California. Your nightmare looks like my nightmare. The only thing I have going on is that the previous owner was notorious for digging random and very deep holes. We have had a few booboos so far, none with anything getting stuck or such.

My plan right now is to rake back with either a rake or the gapple, then mow to chop it up. Let it grow up a bit and get it with Crosbow next month..

Rinse and repeat for the next 5 years or so ;-)
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by woodlandfarms
    I have a huge blackberry issue, along with surprise ravines and major chuck holes hidden in my blackberries... I am trying to find the property without dumping my PT into a pit....
    You gets lots of points for having built something so cool looking.
    I just bought a kubota BX24 and one of its jobs will be attacking our 10' blackberries. It should work but will never look like yours.

An idea - the guys you hire around here to get the blackberries use a toothbar on the loader to rake them out and search the ground. Then they turn the tractor around and mow the vines. Once they're down they can be sprayed or just mowed regularly. If you replace your springs with some straight teeth you should be able to get the vines without getting tangled so easily.

Best of luck.
    Kubota BX24, Big Bee 4' RC, 4' BB, Markham toothbar, Bro-Tek skid plates

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Toothbar and Grapple are on my system... My first technique was to raise and lower the mower. That met with some honest responses about safety. So I went to the grapple but it had limited reach. Went to the backhoe, it is pretty narrow and the work time is longer...

The rake is also to try and get into some ravines. I can take the bucket to the edge of a ravine, but I still have a wall of blackberries... at least out for another 6 feet or so...

Well, wife will consider my purchase of some more beefy angle iron and landscape rake tines ( Heavy duty $5.99 each). Problem is I have to go back to LA so this is going to have to wait...

Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2004 B7800HSD

I understand completely. Himalayan Blackberries are a problem here as well. They are designated as a "B" class noxious weed. Their control qualifies for a local cost share program ($60.00 per 2.5 gl. Crossbow, $34.00 per Honcho Plus). Not sure why treatment is not effective in WA. I followed application guidelines provided by Dow Agrosciences through the cost share program. Apx. 1.5 acres of interspersed, dense berry vines are now history, roots and all. Had to stand on the seat of my ATV in order to get the spray wand above the darn things more than once... Had light to moderate collateral damage on desirable vegitation from overspray, however that's the way it goes. Took a lot of time intitially, but a person could not even tell the berries were there two years ago.
    We have something around here worse than berries. "GORSE" People around here w/gorse problems wish they had Himalayan Blackberry problems...
    Good luck to you folks.

Quote Originally Posted by woodlandfarms
    Yeah, I am a huge crossbow fan... That said, after last years expereince where I basically was only able to spray 10 feet or so into the blackberries, I elected to groom them down, then apply crossbow and a weed control... Using a tractor sprayer... You have to understand, the blackberries can be 10 to 20 feet tall. go out and look at a tree in your yard and that is how hight these bad boys are. If I were to spray just that plant it would take me a year to go 5 feet...

As for Skunkwerks Idea... Yup.. I have this dream of a spinning headed something that would cut and mulch this stuff up and also allow me to mash up my alders... Problem is I have only 1200lbs of lift.... And I also have a wife who has cut me off financially so all projects are in the $50 range unless the $500 worth of crossbow counts...
    B7800HSD-F w/fel, BL4690 bh, Bush-Hog phd, Gearmore bb, Plus a Bunch of other Junk...

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

WOW Crossbow for $60.. I am MOVING...

Crossbow works well up here but my applicator is/was junk (backpack sprayer). Trying to convince the wife to let me get a 60 gallon sprayer...

Carl

Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers

I think my Ford 7710 would be a good remedy for the blackberries, but transporting it out there might run a little bit more than your $50 budget. With the ability to shred trees and a reach of 25' in any direction behind the tractor I think it would be a good candidate anyway. Best way to do it would be clear an arc of 25' and then move the tractor closer because dropping this thing into areas of "unknown" might be costly due to it's weight and what it would cost to get it out. However being fwa, it isn't known for getting stuck. Sure wish the problem with the berries was closer, as I could stand a little work for it.
    David from jax

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...MVC-004F-1.jpg

The old post about the tractor
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/n...ight=David+jax
    Last edited by sandman2234; 08-30-2007 at 06:44 PM.
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, and now just one YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by sandman2234
    I think my Ford 7710 would be a good remedy for the blackberries
    Man that's what I need. No telling what's out there!!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...-dscn4646r.jpg
    Last edited by California; 08-30-2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: replaced a big photo with its URL (so we don't bury the dialup users).

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Wow Oh Wow do I want one... PT has a nice boom brush hog but I could not swing the coin... Ohhh Well...

Carl

Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers

All kidding aside, I think as good as the PT is, a boom mower wouldn't be that hard to build. I thought about it before buying the 7710. I really didn't need the boom mower, only wanted FWA because I was tired of getting the JD stuck. The boom mower is just a bonus. I recently removed the heavy duty flail mower and added a 42" bucket so I could load the dump trailer that two of us built to haul some dirt from my church to my house. They wanted rid of it and I needed the dirt, so we struck a bargain.
    Some of the guys that have built boom mowers have had great ideas and you might be able to use some of those ideas to build a reasonably inexpensive boom mower. The ability to weld and fabricate will come into play, but even that can be farmed out if you don't have a friend with a welder. I liked the one where he used a lawn mower on the end of a boom to chew things up. Might take a heavy duty push mower to tackle those blackberrys but seems like chewing them up works better than most other ideas.
    Good luck with it,
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Tractor
    Struck Magnatrac 6000, Kioti DK40SE

So if a Power Trac knuckle boom is out of the question... maybe what you could do is build something similar. Get yourself a hydraulic motor and attach a large circular saw blade and mount it on your boom. If you made the bracket for the cutter head able to turn, then the blade could be used vertical or horizontal depending on your situation.

I made something similar a few years ago to attach to my backhoe using a cutter blade and hyd motor purchased from Power Trac.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I don't do landscaping... I do battle with vegetation"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast