Air Compressor Recommendations?

/ Air Compressor Recommendations? #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I think I fried my cheap Homier Tools air compressor. It's lasted me 5 years, but after a few days of running my paint sprayer with it while painting my dump cart, it acts like it won't build enough pressure to shut off.

Now I'm on the prowl for another. What are some recommendations?

What's a typical CFM usage?
Oiled vs. Oil-less?
Are any of them quieter than others?

I do have a budget so I know I can't get the cadillac. I do want to get something good, though.

I've got a gift certificate to Amazon.com, and I'm thinking about getting this one... Amazon.com: Porter Cable C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor.

Is Porter Cable what it used to be? I've heard that they were bought by someone and all that's left is the name. I hope that isn't true.

/ Air Compressor Recommendations? #2  
an oil free compressor melts its teflon piston rings when running for long periods of time.

oil free is for inflating your caravan tires on the beginning of the camp season. Not for painting.

My oil lubricated compressor threw a rod bearing this spring. I bought a used, big 3 cylinder compressor for 200 Euro. It performs, runs smooth and gives 440 liter per minute. The only drawback is its size: it barely fits under my workbench. But that's why it was cheap: i'm tall, so i also have a high workbench. In a normal shop, this compressor would take up too much room so nobody wants it, but in my shop it fits under the workbench :)
I run a spray gun and an impact wrench on it, and leave the 200 liter vessel continously under pressure.

/ Air Compressor Recommendations? #3  
I found this on craigslist 120 gal tank, 200psi, 16HP $300
Bores are 5.5" and 2.25", stroke 3.5".

Attachments

• aircompressor7.jpg
    aircompressor7.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 474
   / Air Compressor Recommendations? #4  
Get the biggest Ingersal Rand you can afford. It will last you forever,if taken care of.

/ Air Compressor Recommendations? #5  
As mocassincreekranch said, buy the bigest Ingersal Rand that you can afford. It's easier to buy big now and have the reserve capacity then to get one that will just end up being to small in the future.

/ Air Compressor Recommendations?
Ingersoll Rand is a great name. I know we use a lot of their stuff in manufacturing. Unfortunately my hobby budget may be able to afford a single pressure guage off an Ingersoll Rand.

I'll look around. I may be mistaken, but if I remember right IR isn't really in the afforadable category.

Next question... What are the differences between CFM, SCFM, and ACFM?

/ Air Compressor Recommendations? #7  
IPlay,

The best compressor for you depends on your usage and age.

If you are young and plan to use it a lot, definitely get a 220v belt drive unit.

If you are old, don't use it a lot, and don't care to have someone inherit it, then buy a cheap HF oil lubed compressor. Generally speaking, don't buy oil-less even if you're 90 and use it once a year. ;)

I bought this one 3 years ago (still available for $100), and can't wear it out.

Cheap Oil-Lubed Compressor

A friend has a huge welding rig, and wanted a compressor in 1 of the compartments. He needed at least 6 cfm for his plasma cutter. Well, he couldn't find a 6 cfm that would fit inside the bay. I suggested 2 of the above connected by a T fitting. He loves them! They easily produce 8 cfm and easily fit in the compartment. $200 for 8 cfm of oil lubed compressor is unbeatable. If 1 goes out some day, it doesn't break the bank to replace.

/ Air Compressor Recommendations? #8  
I had a Puma, 60 gallon tank, V-twin, cast iron compressor down in the country, but sold it when I moved back to town. Now I just have this Industrial Air compressor from Northern Tool. I use an air-compressor nearly every day. I even use it to blow out my electric razor when I shave, the hair clippers when I get a haircut, etc.:D Of course, I've got a half inch impact wrench, a 3/8" ratchet, a paint gun, an engine cleaner, and an angle die grinder, but I use blow guns more than anything. When I mow the yard, I use it on the string trimmer and lawnmower, I use it instead of a broom or those back pack blowers to clean off the driveway, clean out the garage, etc. So I want one that will run continuously without hurting it.

For occasional use, the little oilless compressors are good, as long as you know before you buy it that you should never let it run more than 10 minutes at a time and you know to expect its life to be about one-tenth the life of an oiled compressor. And as I've posted many times, the best thing about them is that I can completely rebuild one in less than an hour; probably less than 30 minutes.

Even if you get an oiled compressor, if you get aluminum instead of iron, be sure to read the manual before you buy. Some, if not all, of them say to not run them more than 10 minutes at time. And be sure to keep enough oil in it; i.e., fill it right to the top. You can take the plug out and see oil and think it's good when the crankcase is so shallow that you'll burn it up if it isn't full.

/ Air Compressor Recommendations?
I'm glad I've got the feedback on the oilless compressors. It's funny because Porter Cable's Website states that it's oilless "for durability"

My little cheapy that I've been using worked great for me for years because I would use it only a few minutes at a time. I'd blow sawdust off the bench, fill a few tires, or run an airwrench to rotate the tires. The first time I used it for very long at a time was a week ago painting. As soon as it would pressure up, I'd run it down again and so forth. That continuous use just killed it.

I'm glad to know now that a oilless would suffer the same fate. I may need to just keep this old one of mine limping along until I can save up enough to get a good one.

I did find this one. It's just almost twice what I wanted to pay by the time I figure shipping, but if it will last twice as long it may be worth it. I really like that it touts that it's designed for 100% continuous use.

/ Air Compressor Recommendations? #10  
i hate oilless... noisy and lacking in CFM.

IMHO go as big as you can then add some.

personally im going 2stage (175psi) high teens/low 20's CFM

this one

5 HP, 2-Stage, 60-Gallon Vertical Air Compressor

you figure even a small volume of 175psi air translates to a long spray time at 35-40lbs inbetween compresser runs.