Tweco or Binzel???

/ Tweco or Binzel??? #1  

Maine_Polack

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6500 4WD
About to purchase my first MIG welder. Looking at the HTP MIG 200. It can be ordered with a "Tweco" or "Binzel" style welding gun. Have no experience with MIG, and was wondering about the differences between these two guns.

Also wanted to get the 15' leads, but was told that I would have to keep the wire rather straight to avoid problems feeding. Also told that with the 12' there should be no problems. Agree?

Thanks, Al

/ Tweco or Binzel??? #2  
Al:
Go with the Tweco gun. You can get tips, nozzles and gas diffusers almost anywhere. Very reliable design. When you start getting longer leads you will be straining the drive wheel that pushes the wire through the liner requiring the straighter path. Unless you get a push/pull setup or spool gun. A few words of advise, do not buy a wire lube setup, the oil on the wire holds dust and eventually plugs up the liner. Be sure to buy nozzle dip.

/ Tweco or Binzel??? #3  
I would also recommend a Tweco gun and I push .035 wire thru it 20 feet and it does have to have gentle curves in it
:)

/ Tweco or Binzel??? #4  
I'm not sure if this helps but, I bought a tweco gun for my Hobart and dident like it. It was a lot bigger and clumzyer (sp). I was welding in some tight spaces and the hobart gun was more compact.

/ Tweco or Binzel??? #5  
I would say Tweco and 15'. Yes, you will have to be a bit more careful then with 12, but then again, you can reach 3' further, and can have smoother curves because of the extra length.

/ Tweco or Binzel???
AlanB said:
I would say Tweco and 15'. Yes, you will have to be a bit more careful then with 12, but then again, you can reach 3' further, and can have smoother curves because of the extra length.

I think the Tweco and 15' will be what I get. Also looking at their "Flexible Swan Neck". Seems like a good rig, if it works well. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks all for the info:)

You know...I started out to just get a small mig to do thin metal. Somehow I ended up looking at large units. I have a friend who does a lot of "shop work". His advice was to get a larger unit, cause when I use a mig I will like it and be frustrated that I can't use it for more than just thin stuff.

Talking with the HTP salesperson on the phone:rolleyes: This 200 machine will weld thin as well as thick. Thin being the thickness of two razor blades. It also has "stitch" and "spot weld" functions.

/ Tweco or Binzel??? #7  
I have seen the swan necks, and never used them.

There has been a couple times when I have thought about it, but all in all, I think I would just stick with a "standard"

I run a 250 and a 130. It all comes down to money I guess. You can crank the big machine down, and run smaller wire, but I tend not too.

Here lately, I have been runnining .030 in the big machine, but usually I was running .023 in the small and .035 in the big, then I run .045 in the suitcase with the mobile unit.

My 2cents is to run I quality wire and consumables. I can tell the difference.

To acknowledge MadRef though (who built a ton of stuff and I respect greatly) he would reccomend HF wire.

Kind of comes down to try a roll of each and see if you can tell the difference.

As to the HTP guy, yes, he is pretty much correct, but what is left out is that you will need to change wire. While this is not a big deal, I always kind of equate that to watching the shopsmith guy in the mall work with the shopsmith. He is flipping this thing this way and that and it all seems to go so smoothly.....

Then when you get home.. :)

As to the Stitch and Spot weld functions (and this will be mighty obscure if you do not follow this type thing) In the movie Blackhawk Down The Ranger company commander looks at the D boy in the chow line and starts in about his weapon is not on Safe...................

D boy looks at him and holds up his finger and say's "this is my safety"

As a side note maybe you have to be in the environment to understand.

Anyway, I would certainly not pay extra for spot or stitch functions.
You will naturally do it with your trigger finger and have better results for repair welding.

I am making an assumption that you are not doing any robotic or production welding.

I see by your tag line that you may appreciate the Blackhawk down reference.

/ Tweco or Binzel???
AlanB said:
I have seen the swan necks, and never used them.

There has been a couple times when I have thought about it, but all in all, I think I would just stick with a "standard"

I run a 250 and a 130. It all comes down to money I guess. You can crank the big machine down, and run smaller wire, but I tend not too.

Here lately, I have been runnining .030 in the big machine, but usually I was running .023 in the small and .035 in the big, then I run .045 in the suitcase with the mobile unit.

My 2cents is to run I quality wire and consumables. I can tell the difference.

To acknowledge MadRef though (who built a ton of stuff and I respect greatly) he would reccomend HF wire.

Kind of comes down to try a roll of each and see if you can tell the difference.

As to the HTP guy, yes, he is pretty much correct, but what is left out is that you will need to change wire. While this is not a big deal, I always kind of equate that to watching the shopsmith guy in the mall work with the shopsmith. He is flipping this thing this way and that and it all seems to go so smoothly.....

Then when you get home.. :)

As to the Stitch and Spot weld functions (and this will be mighty obscure if you do not follow this type thing) In the movie Blackhawk Down The Ranger company commander looks at the D boy in the chow line and starts in about his weapon is not on Safe...................

D boy looks at him and holds up his finger and say's "this is my safety"

As a side note maybe you have to be in the environment to understand.

Anyway, I would certainly not pay extra for spot or stitch functions.
You will naturally do it with your trigger finger and have better results for repair welding.

I am making an assumption that you are not doing any robotic or production welding.

I see by your tag line that you may appreciate the Blackhawk down reference.

Obscure..for sure...;)

I'm just a tinkerer. Like to weld. Have been sticking stuff together with a Lincoln AC.

Not paying extra for the "stitch" and "spot" functions. They are built into the machine as it comes. Premim. conversation I had suggests that they will include the swan neck for n/c. The sales person did indeed inform me that the wire needs to be changed out, and they will accomplish this as well.

What I didn't ask was if this flexible was "the" gun, or if it somehow fits onto the existing one.

My aforementioned friend has been using HTL's consumables and thinks they are a good value, so I would start out with their stuff.

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

Al