A Carryall with a twist...

/ A Carryall with a twist... #1  

teg

Tractor
s
Built a carryall with a detachable base that can be winched back onto the carryall or it could be used as a dump bed. I wanted to be able to dump the carryall without unhooking the 3 point hitch. The detachable based of the carryall is 3' x 5' with a 2' back wall (~150#). I have a removable 8" rail around the front (I might increase that height later). This was my third welding project.

Short Video: YouTube - A different kind of CarryAll for 3 point hitch

I do need information about tractor electric stuff :confused: I got the smallest winch and only plan to use it if I can't back under the detached base (which is the original plan). I've been running it off of a lawn tractor battery which I've could mount to the frame of the carryall OR run it off the tractor battery. I don't want to get a larger alternator - Do you think the tractor battery could handle the limited use? What's the worst case scenario if I go this route?

/ A Carryall with a twist...
While I did the carryall, I made a removable hitch for the front of the FEL... took about 15 minutes to fab up. Cheated, since the bottom half was a 1" Reese hitch. Only mounted the top bar. Hope it will fit

/ A Carryall with a twist... #4  
That looks like a handy mod.
Good job Teg
Here is what I think will happen if your battery is not up to the job. As you use the winch you will see the motor slow and pehaps even overheat if you insist on running until it stops. How quick this will happen depends on the size of the battery and the alternator charging it. If your tractor is diesel and there are no lights on the alternator should be able to contribute. Although as I think about it you probably don't want be in a situation where the battery is low and the alternator is trying to run the winch. That would put the alternator at risk of damage.
Perhaps you could wire up a double pole switch to run the winch. One pole would put power to the winch from the battery. The other pole would connect the alternator to the battery when the switch is in the neutral position (winch turned off). That way the alternator would only send power to the winch battery when it is not in use. I don't think a lawn tractor battery would strain the alternator.
If any one sees a flaw in this idea let me know.

/ A Carryall with a twist... #5  
I don't think you need a separate battery for the winch if the tractor voltage and the winch voltage are the same. I'd run sufficiently large wire straight to the battery (with an in line fuse of course). And don't try and go cheap on the ground wire. It has to carry the same current as the hot wire, just in a different direction. When two batteries are hooked up in a system in parallel, like these would be, the stronger battery, voltage wise, discharges through the weaker battery until it's pretty well shot. You could rig up a relay to disconnect the smaller battery when the tractor was off, but that would be more work. You can use Johnson PowerPole connectors for an easy, low resistance quick disconnect. You should compare the maximum current draw of the winch with your alternator's rating. The battery will act as a buffer between the two but I couldn't guarantee there wouldn't be a problem if the winch sucked too many amps. My gut feeling is that for occasional use where you're not running the winch too long, and trying to pull too much, it would be ok. If the winch starts to bog down, under no or light load, the system voltage is getting too low because the drain on the system is too high. That's the sign that the way it's hooked up isn't going to work. You'll damage the battery and the alternator if you keep it up. Then you'd need a plan "B". If it bogs down under a heavy load, well it's too heavy. Don't try and bite off more than it can chew:)

Thanks for the replies... my plan is to only use the winch to lift the detachable base a few feet (make it work like a dump cart). I'm hoping to just slide under the detachable base to pick it up when it's loaded with tools & generator. What size wire would you think I should run from the battery? I have #8. The Wires out of the winch are huge (1/4"); which is correct for long heavy pulling jobs... But I don't see me doing close to that.

I will get Johnson PowerPole connectors, Thanks.

bones1... I was using 6011 rods with DC :eek: I talked to my welding buddy who told me those were for AC... hey it worked!! I don't know which rods to use, when to use certain rods, nor what power to use them at... So, I DO NOT know how to weld, just to get metal to stick together :eek: :rolleyes: but I'm having a blast doing it :D

/ A Carryall with a twist... #7  
teg:

Great job for a third project!! Very interesting idea as well. May build one myself.

"all purpose AC/DC E-6011". Leaves very little slag on the weld but needs more heat than 7014.
Get yourself a copy of the Welder's Handbook by Richard Finch. The quote above is from his book. It's the rod he recommends for farm repairs because it is easy to use with little splatter. Finche's book is great for beginners, has good projects and wealth of information. I even seen it available in Lowe's welding supplies area here in TX.

Thing to remember about welding.....practice, practice, practice.

Keep having fun with your projects.

I have a "practice" lump of metal... I need to get a photo of that. :D Looks like a meteorite from he!!

I've practice with six or so different rods of different thickness and at different current settings but my untrained eye :eek: there was not much difference except I would sometimes blow a hole through the metal. Unfortunate, I hate reading... even if I could learn something. I have read several websites about how to weld and got some good information from them. I'm more of; plug it in and let's see how it works!! Thanks for info., I will look for the book in Lowe's next time I go... I'll try putting it under my pillow to see if I can absorb the information that way. :confused:

My second projects were forks; I've posted a photo or two of them in action before (but never close up of the welds!) On another computer, I have a photo of most of my welds that I've done... very close up!

EDIT: Sorry J.J. - Forgot to say that the forks are for light brush only!!! Again sorry about that. :eek: It is not for anything over a couple hundred pounds. I have piles of brush around and when I need a little more wood on the fire, I scoop one up! They are six feet long and I can see the front tip over the hood. I built them with that one purpose in mind.

Teg

Last edited:
   / A Carryall with a twist... #9  
teg said:
Thanks for the replies... my plan is to only use the winch to lift the detachable base a few feet (make it work like a dump cart). I'm hoping to just slide under the detachable base to pick it up when it's loaded with tools & generator. What size wire would you think I should run from the battery? I have #8. The Wires out of the winch are huge (1/4"); which is correct for long heavy pulling jobs... But I don't see me doing close to that.

bones1... I was using 6011 rods with DC :eek: I talked to my welding buddy who told me those were for AC... hey it worked!! I don't know which rods to use, when to use certain rods, nor what power to use them at... So, I DO NOT know how to weld, just to get metal to stick together :eek: :rolleyes: but I'm having a blast doing it :D

I believe that your tractor battery will easily handle the winch, especially since you are only using it for no more that 10 seconds to lift.

That hitch assembly is a good idea, you done good.

I have some reservations about the forks. My forks from a used forklift are about 2 in thick. I have a set of forks that someone made out of 6 in channel, and they are bent from an overload, or sudden drop.

/ A Carryall with a twist... #10  
8 gauge is rated for 70 amps. That's a lot but you should see if you can find out how many amps it'll draw at the load you're thinking of. My guess is that it would work ok as long as you don't try to winch a car out of a ditch or something like that :) Look in an auto supply place for a circuit breaker type overcurrent protection. Handier than fuses actually.

teg said: