Concrete Pump?

/ Concrete Pump? #21  
I've heard of booms being used as a crane too, lifting the power trowels up to an elevated slab pour. But the truth of the matter is, that is not what they were designed for and if something were to happen, there would be many, many questions to be answered, and it's not likely that the insurance company would be likely to cover anything that might happen after it was used for it's unintended purpose. If you think I'm exaggerating...I'm not!

Schwing builds a unit for fire-fighting....with a remote-controlled nozzle for dangerous situations, and they also build a boom with a man-basket for fire too.

Schwing America - is the world leader in concrete pump manufacturing and technology

Putzmeister builds a boom with water nozzles and a rotating brush, like car washes of old for washing jumbo-jets. They have software that has the configuration of the aircraft and after a calibration routine, it will wash the aircraft autonomously.

skywash5_1A.gif

A friend of mine rigged up a hydraulically powered water pump, attached to the 1 1/2" lines that normally operated the stroking pistons, he can use the boom to set the pump into a lake and have the hose connected to the piping at the hopper and the water comes out the tip of the boom or the other way around. He has used it to fill water tenders (trucks) to fight forest fires.

WFH8.jpg

I believe he said that the pump was capable of 2300 GPM with the hydraulic flow that his truck's hydraulic system could produce, but he couldn't get close to that with the tip hose installed, at about 1/4 that, the hose was starting to get a wild 'snaking' effect going.

I've heard of testing to failure of booms being done by anchoring the outriggers down, and hanging weight on the end of the boom flat-sticked, for example my boom was 106' from the pivot point, and it is theoretically capable of lifting 1200 lbs...I don't know of any real crane that could do that. however, it won't do that normally, it would tip without being anchored. and they boom is not built to handle the stresses of a dynamic (swinging) load, it would twist, and fold up like a pretzel.

As an aside - concrete booms are measured for their vertical reach, from the ground - straight up, so my 36M was 118' feet...the 106' boom plus 12' from the ground up to the pivot point.

Like I said, use it only for it's intended purpose, let them hire a crane for the crane work, and a tree- trimming crew for the silvicultural work.