TRACTOR CAB GLASS?

/ TRACTOR CAB GLASS? #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
HI again ,
Now that my other question was answered on if i could weld alumunum in my garage[thank you to replys],I need to figure out what to do for glass,on my cab project..I want a wiper on front,so the windsheild will definately want to be glass.I want a defroster strip on the back,so it probably wants to be also.Doors can be whatever as long as i can see clearly[mabey lexan?].
So where do i get inexpensive flat auto glass.Does auto glass stores custom size safety glass for a reasonable price? Is there a web site i can custom order from?Can auto glass be cut down like a window pane.If so mabey a salvage yard for my glass?How do i frame it,does any one have a pics to give me an idea.Iknow the roof i have on my tractor now has some vibration,i wouldnt want to shatter the glass,installing it wrong
The planning of this cab has me obsessed:D ,been running around in the parking lot at work measuring the side windows on coworkers autos:D :D Its ok they know when i get started on something i cant quit til its perfected:rolleyes:
THANKS FOR ANY IDEAS YOU MIGHT HAVE
ALAN

/ TRACTOR CAB GLASS? #2  
Try doing a search on this web site. A couple of different guys posted extensively concerning the cabs that they built. One on a Deere and another on a Kubota that I recall.Some mighty impressive work on a number of them.

/ TRACTOR CAB GLASS? #3  
I went and did a search on this site myself to see if I could find them. There is one by DDT titled "cab in progress" for a Deere that is superb. I would post a link but don't know how. Not very computer savy I'm afraid.

/ TRACTOR CAB GLASS? #4  
Northstar- PM (private mail me) and I will tell you how to copy and paste things. Its easy and it makes working and typing things a bunch easier. If others want to know, let me know and I will post something

If I am off base, forgive me

/ TRACTOR CAB GLASS? #5  
My wife had to have her Wrangler window replaced it is flat and they cut a new one out of a bigger sheet I didn't see how and popped it in to the old gasket

tom

/ TRACTOR CAB GLASS? #6  
I recall on one of the home built cabs one of our members made...... it was suggested he use the rear door glass out of a school bus (from the bone yard). Bus door glass is supposed to be a great size for a tractor, available inexpensively most anywhere, and is easily installed with its simple rubber gasket.

/ TRACTOR CAB GLASS? #7  
Ductape said:
I recall on one of the home built cabs one of our members made...... it was suggested he use the rear door glass out of a school bus (from the bone yard). Bus door glass is supposed to be a great size for a tractor, available inexpensively most anywhere, and is easily installed with its simple rubber gasket.

That was going to be part of my suggestion: If you have a truck/bus bone yard in the area, scout it out & see what's available in flat glass. Gaskets are (or were) easily available from JC Whitney (cut the old gasket to get the glass out). If you find you have a unique size/shape you can't match with used glass, look in the yellow pages for "glass," "glass repair," "window," "window/door repair," & "commercial window & door." Getting custom cut laminated glass is easy & isn't that expensive. You can also have custom sized tempered panes made up, but of course they'll be a bit more expensive (plate glass that's cut first, then tempered). I'd recommend you NOT use plate or annealed glass! Stick to laminated or tempered (tempered is what you'll typically find on car/truck/bus side & rear glass) as it won't break into sharp shards.

/ TRACTOR CAB GLASS? #8  
Call a glass shop. I have had boat windows custom made from safety glass. They were not particularly expensive.

A word on Lexan (polycarbonate). It is tough. Get it thick enough, and it is bullet proof. It has a problem, though. Sunlight clouds it, and after a few years, you can't see through it. Keeping it out of the sun slows the process, so a shed or barn kept tractor should last longer.

You can also get coated Lexan which won't cloud near as fast. It is more expensive, and you have to make sure you get the coating on the outside. You also have to try not to scratch the coating.

Lexan can be worked with wood working tools.

The alternative is Plexiglass (acrylic). It will craze, isn't as strong, but won't cloud like Lexan. It may crack when you drill it, if you don't take special precautions. The last time I checked, it was cheaper than Lexan.

/ TRACTOR CAB GLASS?
THANKS FOR REPLYS
Ididnt see in any of the links, TO where they got the glass,[did read ddt glued his in]or i missed it.Iwould like to get salvage yard glass,but not sure if a normal house hold cutter will work to cut it.Can you score and snap safety glass,like a window pane?If any one has detailed pics of how they put their glass in and what they used for gaskets,it would be appreciated.
ALAN

/ TRACTOR CAB GLASS? #10  
Cutting laminated glass can be a tricky. The most common method is to score both sides, crack it, then pour lighter fluid in the cut & light it to heat the plastic between the panes. Blow the fire out before the glass cracks, stretch the plastic & cut it with a razor knife. The cut edge can now be sanded with a special glass belt on a 3" hand held belt sander, or with a glass stone. IMHO, it's something best left to someone with experience in it.

Tempered glass can NOT be cut.