Hay Bale Stacker

/ Hay Bale Stacker #1  

chowl

Bronze Member
Tractor
2005 JD 4720, 2004HPX 4x4 Diesel Gator, 2005 HPX 4x4 Diesel Gator, 4x2 E-Gator, JD 737 Z-trac, JD 997 Z-trac
Has anyone ever build a bale stacker for your front loader on your tactor? One that is like the one Steffen sells for arround $4,000.00.

/ Hay Bale Stacker #3  
Some interesting designs from that company. I like the way that they can stack so high and the way that it levels itself automatically.

This is one of their designs.

100-3.jpg

5508-6.jpg

The difference between this and the bale spike is that a bale spike can only pick up big square or round bales. The bale staker can pick up a number of small square bales at a time. Its a lifesaver for us.

They don't look to complicated but would take some fabricating. In the UK you can pick them up for hardly anything because no one wants them anymore.

/ Hay Bale Stacker #4  
Grrrr said:
Some interesting designs from that company. I like the way that they can stack so high and the way that it levels itself automatically.

This is one of their designs.

100-3.jpg

5508-6.jpg

The difference between this and the bale spike is that a bale spike can only pick up big square or round bales. The bale staker can pick up a number of small square bales at a time. Its a lifesaver for us.

They don't look to complicated but would take some fabricating. In the UK you can pick them up for hardly anything because no one wants them anymore.

Well pick one up an put it in a container bound for Vermont...:D

/ Hay Bale Stacker #5  
If you have a decent loader, why would you still want small bales anyways ?
We dont use small bales at all, way too labor intensive. From a big haylage or straw bale, you can take off flakes just as with small bales.

/ Hay Bale Stacker #6  
The stacker is a solution for only half of the problem. You also need an accumulator to put the bales into a "package" that the stacker can pick up. They are usually twice the price of the stacker.

While you're throwing one in a container for Paul, toss in a couple for me as well. It's getting harder and harder to find human bale stackers. When you find a used accumulator/stacker they usually want the same price as new ones.

/ Hay Bale Stacker
I kind of thinking about trying to build one of these haystackers. I run a boarding stable ,and would use this to off load my trailer into my hay barn.

The hay source I buy from how has a accumulator and stacks the trailer with
one of these haystackers. I would like to beable to off load the trailer in a few minutes and then go back and get another load. You know when you
are baling the square bales it is less cost to get it out of the field then out of
the barn.

I just was wondering if anyone has ever try or has built one of these hay stackers before. I bought a dump trailer from Northern Tool before and had to
rig the dump system on it. The welding is not a problem for me as I can do that. The teeth for this would be a bit of a problem ( maybe I could order the
teeth from Steffen ).

/ Hay Bale Stacker #8  
Renze said:
We dont use small bales at all, way too labor intensive. From a big haylage or straw bale, you can take off flakes just as with small bales.

Since I feed horses...I use square bales...that's what comes out of my JD328 Baler...and having read the research done by the University of Illinois about nutritional migration in round bales...I won't use them....

/ Hay Bale Stacker #9  
Renze said:
Adding to what PaulChristenson said, if you can put up horse quality small bales and keep your labor down, you can make a lot more money.

One of my suppliers has a stacker that you pick up with forks. In the field, he stacks 70 bales on a pallet about 7x8 feet then loads them onto a trailer for transport to the barn where they are easily stored.

I will have to ask him more about the stacker. Seems a simple unit.

Actually, I was over this morning and had him set a pallet on my flatbed dually. I pay less than those who don't want to or cannot haul it stacked like that because he does not have to spend time helping me restack it on my truck.

This guy is pretty handy with a welder. He took a dump truck chassis and a mast he found in a salvage yard and made a forklift out of it.

/ Hay Bale Stacker #10  
PaulChristenson said:
Since I feed horses...I use square bales...that's what comes out of my JD328 Baler...and having read the research done by the University of Illinois about nutritional migration in round bales...I won't use them....

I agree with Paul and nutrition is only part of the problem. The first question most of the vets in my area ask about a horse with colic is "Were you feeding round bales?"

There are a couple of these around here: Bale Band-It but this is the one I want: Hay Tech In smaller fields it's too much trouble to pull an accumulator or wagon behind the baler.