Home made trailer

/ Home made trailer #1  

Marc 21

I know there's another thread but it is about small trailers and i'm wondering if anyone has built a bigger dump trailer, like one you could carry 10000lbs?

/ Home made trailer #2  
I modified an existing boat trailer to make a dump trailer to move some dirt. As strong as it is, it will probably dump close to that. I think the cylinder was rated at seven tons, so it might be close. Pictures of my ugly trailer were posted on that "other dump trailer post".
David from jax

/ Home made trailer #3  
Marc 21 said:
I know there's another thread but it is about small trailers and i'm wondering if anyone has built a bigger dump trailer, like one you could carry 10000lbs?

Hauling 10K will probably require a pair of 10K axles. Maybe you should go to a trailer dealer, and sneak a peek at the frame member sizes and layout on a ~15K GVW trailer. Dirt is the most brutal load you can haul on a trailer. Better to over build it than under build it, especially if you will be using it a lot. I've seen several dump trailers ruined by overloading. Best to build it so that you can pile it to the top and still not be over loaded.

/ Home made trailer
That's a good idea, on monday i'll go through the the trailer place and sneek a peak. My friends brother owns a tractor/trailer dealership so maybe he'll give me a good enuogh deal that i won't need to make one.

/ Home made trailer #5  
have_blue said:
Dirt is the most brutal load you can haul on a trailer.
That is a puzzling statement...why would 10 tons of dirt be any more "brutal" then 10 tons of gravel, or golf balls or whatever:D

/ Home made trailer #6  
That post might just be worded wrong, but dirt tends to be a little heavier than it looks, more so than gravel and golf balls since you can put more of it in a equal space. Because of that, people often mis-calculate the weight of the dirt that they are hauling, when compared to that last load of gravel/golf balls that they hauled. Plus dirt can also hold a large amount of weight, depending on the concentration of water held in it.
Maybe this is the reason it is so hard on trailers??

Where would you haul 10 tons of golf balls, other than maybe at a driving range? I would hate to be the one to have to pick those up by hand. Glad they make golf ball harvestors.
David from jax

/ Home made trailer
i understood what you ment, dirt has more wieght for sq inch, especially when wet. Thanx for all the ideas

/ Home made trailer
thanx for the link

/ Home made trailer #10  
sandman2234 said:
That post might just be worded wrong, but dirt tends to be a little heavier than it looks, more so than gravel and golf balls since you can put more of it in a equal space. Because of that, people often mis-calculate the weight of the dirt that they are hauling, when compared to that last load of gravel/golf balls that they hauled. Plus dirt can also hold a large amount of weight, depending on the concentration of water held in it.
Maybe this is the reason it is so hard on trailers??

Where would you haul 10 tons of golf balls, other than maybe at a driving range? I would hate to be the one to have to pick those up by hand. Glad they make golf ball harvestors.
David from jax

There is a large sticker on the front of my commercial dump trailer that states-
Per cubic yard- DIRT 2052 lbs
Per cubic yard- GRAVEL 2646 lbs
Per cubic yard- CRUSHER RUN 3254 lbs

This is in conjunction with a warning to not overload the trailer- so according to them dirt is not heavier than an equivalent volume of rock.

The golf ball example was just for illustration purposes, ala the old joke of what is heavier a pound of lead or a pound of feathers. If you prefer the example can be 10 tons of feathers:D Point is 10 tons is 10 tons.