Home made slope meter...

/ Home made slope meter... #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
for the slope, not the tractor. Take a piece of wood, maybe 2' long, 1x4, stick a piece of stiff wire into side, bend up to be vertical with board. Hang a protractor, (or a paper copy of one) from wire bent over so protractor has curved part hanging down. Support wire should show through opening at 90 degree mark. Now when you set board on slope to be measured, protractor will still have curved part down, adjust so that flat part is parallel to board. Should be able to read degrees of slope. See drawing.

Attachments

• Home made slope meter.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 1,833
   / Home made slope meter... #2  
Makes me feel dumber than a preschooler when I saw the simple route in the drawing. No trig. necessary. Nicely illustrated. No everyone should have no excuse not to find the slopes of what they seem to be afraid of attacking with their tractor. Maybe we'll see some replies to some of the slopes in question with your 99 cent surveyor tool.....

/ Home made slope meter... #3  
I am going to build that tomorrow. I would love to know what some of the slopes I drive on are but have never thought about making one. Thanks :)

/ Home made slope meter... #4  
The following is a picture I made of one I built and put on the loader arm of the tractor. I set out the angles on paper and then laminated the thing and taped it to the loader arm. I painted it to make it somewhat water proof. Works pretty well. Enough when I get to 15 degrees I start correcting soon as possible.
I am not sure how clear this will be since I took it today and it was cloudy here and under the tractor cover as well.

Attachments

• Tiltometer.jpg
    Tiltometer.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,038
   / Home made slope meter... #5  
You guys have so much great ideas, I was looking form somthing like that

Thanks

and keep posting ideas and pictures, it help so much

/ Home made slope meter... #6  
My homemade slope meter is the seat of my pants, if it don't feel right ? DON'T :eek:
just something about that tells us something inside
just think about slope meter telling you all is fine and you hit a dip in the ground!! TIMBER
Jim
:)

/ Home made slope meter...
Here are 4 pics of the slope meter in action. Didn't get to use the board per the drawing (my board was busy holding up the tongue jack on my welding trailer). I stuck the wire vertically in the ground, slid the protractor over it, then tilted to make flat edge parallel with ground. This slope is approximately 20 degree's. I will try to get a picture of the tractor going up it this weekend. I might add that my wife is the one tilting the protractor, my hands don't look near that nice.

Attachments

• Slope meter 001.jpg
    Slope meter 001.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 1,015
  • Slope meter 002.jpg
    Slope meter 002.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 661
  • Slope meter 003.jpg
    Slope meter 003.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 594
  • Slope meter 004.jpg
    Slope meter 004.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 841
This last pic is of a monarch butterfly, lot's of them crossing our place now. Sorry, it's a little blurry.

Attachments

• Slope meter 005.jpg
    Slope meter 005.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 535
   / Home made slope meter... #9  
Now I have a sure-fire way to see if that $50 tilt meter I bought is any where close to accurate. ;)

Your idea is so simple, it's got to be either illegal or fattening. :rolleyes: Thanks so much for sharing.

Here are 4 pics of my tractor headed down the slope (the one in the slope meter pics). I dismounted tractor, left in gear, killed engine, set brakes, and lowered mower to ground to keep it from taking off. A lot of the brush I'm mowing off the levy is just wild plum trees, grape vines, berry vines, etc. I mowed around our pecan trees to make it easier to pick up the pecans.

Attachments

• Tractor on slope 001.jpg
    Tractor on slope 001.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 586
  • Tractor on slope 002.jpg
    Tractor on slope 002.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 586
  • Tractor on slope 003.jpg
    Tractor on slope 003.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 609
  • Tractor on slope 004.jpg
    Tractor on slope 004.jpg