homebuilt tractor clutch?

/ homebuilt tractor clutch? #1  

mwbell

Tractor
4010, 300 Utility, VAC
:confused: I am in the early beginnings of building a small tractor. I have looked at several on the net but have yet to come up with a good idea for a clutch. I am going to use a Wisconsin VH4D 4 cyl. through a jackshaft to a 4 spd transmission. But I can not find a seup for a clutch. Can I use a centrifical or does someone have an idea for a hand clutch. I would prefer to use a hand or foot operated clutch if I can get some help.

/ homebuilt tractor clutch? #2  
Look through this site. These folks have all kinds of applications. Good luck with your search. And welcome to TBN.

OOps, forgot the link.

Industrial Clutches

/ homebuilt tractor clutch? #3  
Here is another. It shows some JD powerplants with hand clutch applications.

Funk - Industrial Irrigation

How far along are you on your project, or are you still just trying to round up the components? Sounds like a fun project.

/ homebuilt tractor clutch? #4  
Another idea would be to find an old non-running ditch witch and salvage the clutch mech. from it. There are a lot of them around now that most trenching is done with skid steers. Many of them used that same engine...

/ homebuilt tractor clutch? #5  
The easiest way is to salvage a complete clutch from a car wreckyard.

If you only have a light engine, you can also do with a V belt that runs very loose around 2 pulleys.
Then use a 3rd pulley in the mid, between the two pulleys, that is pulled aside by a spring. This stretches the belt to engage drive.
You can make a clutch by attaching a pull cable to the arm that holds the 3rd spanner pulley, to pull it back to center (unstretch the belt) to release.
A V belt with no strain can slip over pulleys for a long time before wear spots will occur. It will give you plenty of time to change gears before the belt gets too hot on the spot where it rubs over the pulley. Mostly the belt will stop and the engine pulley will spin in the belt without rotating the actual belt.

/ homebuilt tractor clutch? #6  
MWBell;

bjsc has a good idea. A lot of Ditch Witches used Rockford clutches on the Wisconsin motors. Is your motor set up for a SAE bellhousing? If it is, a Rockford would be a bolt on solution.

Good luck;

SimS