Drawbar Hitch

/ Drawbar Hitch #1  

1m21

Tractor
YM2000BD
Here is a drawbar hitch I made to move my trailer around. The reciever hitch is from a 1984-1996 Jeep Cherokee. They can be found at the you-pull-it junkyards for $10.00-$15.00. Any straight reciever hitch will work. Also check for 1994-1997 S10 Blazers as some of them use a straight reciever hitch.

Hitch1.jpg

This is what it looked like after I cut it down to size and cleaned it up a little in the sandblasting cabinet.

Hitch2.jpg

After welding and ready for paint.

Hitch3.jpg

The finished product.

Hitch4.jpg

/ Drawbar Hitch #3  
You completely stole my idea. :) I have a receiver I bought at an auction for $10. Plan to do the same thing you did - I'm just too slow. However, instead of placing the pins directly on the end, I was going to weld a flat plate over the ends and put the pins either above or below the reciever tube. Then I can tighten or remove the nut on the pin. Did you weld the nut inside the reciever and then tighten the pin? I was also going to make it the proper width and height to fit on my Spee-co quick hitch.

/ Drawbar Hitch #4  
It may just be the angle, but that vertical square tube looks kind of thin walled to me, although the load on that piece shouldn't be too high. Gorgeous looking work. Wish I could weld that well.

/ Drawbar Hitch
radman1 said:
I was going to weld a flat plate over the ends and put the pins either above or below the reciever tube. Then I can tighten or remove the nut on the pin.

I was going to do that but then figured it was easier just to cap the ends. I can still remove the pins although I can't think of any reason I would need to.

radman1 said:
Did you weld the nut inside the reciever and then tighten the pin?

Actually I tightened the pins down first and then welded the nuts. :) Then welded the plates on the ends of the tube.

/ Drawbar Hitch #6  
Nice job! You caused me to remember an old receiver hitch I came across in the shed the other day. I will have to take a closer look and see if it would work for a modification.

/ Drawbar Hitch #7  
I made mine out of a receiver hitch I got free at a body shop. It was bent a little in a collision. I cut the bent parts away and welded a peice of iron on the bottom of it and then bolted it to a drawbar I had. The upright tube is one of the straight pieces that I cut off. I use it all the time. I have several different attachments that I made to use with the hitch besides a hitch ball.

Attachments

• IMG_1902 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1902 (Medium).JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_1722 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1722 (Small).JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_1905 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1905 (Small).JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 783
   / Drawbar Hitch #8  
Nice job on the hitches. Here is some photos of one that I made up. The welds are not as nice but it works. My welds are starting to improve. I put the chain slots on it to use when pulling a trailer. I see from your photos that they will come in handy for pulling logs, etc..

Attachments

• IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    997.4 KB · Views: 986
  • With Safety Chain 3.JPG
    With Safety Chain 3.JPG
    858.6 KB · Views: 779