Building a waste oil burning stove for my shop

/ Building a waste oil burning stove for my shop #181  
Thanks Cliff.

/ Building a waste oil burning stove for my shop
Since I've responded to this thread, guess I'll give an update on what I think of my stove and what I'd change on it. The stove has been remarkable and the performance has been outstanding. I really like this stove cause of how easy it is to build. Yes, it cost me a pretty penny to build. Trying to think back when I built this stove, I think it cost me somewhere around $900 US dollars to build. I need to spend another $200 on it to get it up to my standards. Two things that I cut corners on was the filter and the ball valves. The filter came from Tractor Supply that you would use for filtering diesel. The water trap/drain valve leaks pretty bad cause the bowl is plastic and it can not handle the oil pressure that I put on it. My holding tank is pressurized to act as a fuel pump and the pressurized oil puts a strain on that fuel bowl. I tried to tighten that water drain, but all it did was crack the plastic bowl. I have another filter setup in mind, but I guess I'll get around to it when I get tired clean up the oil drips.

As for the ball valves. I bought all of them from Lowes. Two of the ball valves are leaking at the handles. Guess that's what I get for buying cheap made Chinese ball valves. Plus a few fittings are leaking.

Other than that, I've had no true problems with my stove. My variable speed switch that I stole from the house has not missed a lick either. The squirrel cage blower motor takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The hydraulic flow control valve has shown zero problems as well considering how close it is to the stove. I thought heat would in time cause it to leak, but it has not leaked at all. I guess that stamping on the back side "Made in the USA" has something to do with it's performance.:thumbsup:

The only other thing that I want to change is, I want to have some flue pipe pieces made so that I can unbolt the stove from the flue pipe and drag it outside and bead blast the outside skin of the stove. This stove will muster some serious heat and the stove paint that I use just doesn't last that long. I know, I know it's just a stove. But I like my things clean and in working order (to a degree :D).

OK, who has built them a waste oil burning stove or just a stove to use in there house, garage or shop?

Forgot to add the link to the junk filter that I'm using.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicl...-fuel-filter-496-with-water-absorbing-0189529

Last edited:
   / Building a waste oil burning stove for my shop #185  
Great video. have you considered selling rudimentary plans? MikeD74T

/ Building a waste oil burning stove for my shop #187  
Great video. have you considered selling rudimentary plans? MikeD74T

If you read the entire thread it's all spelled out pretty well. Cliff has been great about answering questions. As much as I like the stove and plan to build one, his fuel delivery system has helped me as well.:thumbsup:

/ Building a waste oil burning stove for my shop #188  
LetsRoll,
First off would like to thank you :thumbsup: for all your post and feedback to this website... you have inspired me to build.. I have read all 19 pages of this blog about 19 times... Great Stuff !!!! I will attach pictures of all your ideas put with mine. The stove is near completion. It just likes the 2" blower and oil line in the top of the stove and the flu pipe. There will also be an 6-1/2 X 8-1/2 X 3/16 glass in the door to see inside the stove. I have a 24" fan out of a 5 ton Heater for the blower through the tubes and a 1hp blower for the stove to control air. I will post more pics after the unit is installed if anyone is interested in seeing them.... I like about a week of gettting it in the shop... Then will start playing with the oil. wish me luck!!!! :confused2:

Attachments

• stove.JPG
    stove.JPG
    393.5 KB · Views: 737
  • stove 1.JPG
    stove 1.JPG
    515.2 KB · Views: 775