Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again

/ Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again #1  

wedge40

Veteran Member
I found one of these from a few years back on TBN and have decided to draw one up so I can take it to a shop and have it made. Attached is a pdf of my initial drawing. I'm looking for opinions. Let me start by saying I'm not totally sure of some of the dimensions since my backhoe isn't here. But the basics are there.

Wedge

Attachments

• ripper_tooth_NewDesign_Dimensions.PDF
    82.3 KB · Views: 2,836
   / Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again
Someone asked that I post the DXF file. So here it is zipped up.

Wedge

/ Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again #3  
I'd think you'd want some support to prevent twisting or lateral bending of the tooth. Here is an example using simple welded wedges at the base:

Attachments

• RipperToothDwg.pdf
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,732
IslandTractor said:
I'd think you'd want some support to prevent twisting or lateral bending of the tooth. Here is an example using simple welded wedges at the base:

Nice drawing.. It's given me a few more things I need to think about. Thanks.
I never thought too much about the twisting forces. I like the idea of the triangle front middle and back. Also I like the angle iron between the mounting points at the top.

This one looks a tad short. I'm thinking with a somewhat sharp leading edge I could sort of cut through the really big roots instead of just ripping them apart.
I do plan on having a hardened bead welded on the front edge and I might even grind some serrations into it.
Guess I'll get the think built then modify as I go along.

You would have a drawing with dimensions would you?

Wedge

/ Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again #5  
wedge40 said:
This one looks a tad short. I'm thinking with a somewhat sharp leading edge I could sort of cut through the really big roots instead of just ripping them apart.

I find most roots are pretty soft and do rip pretty easily even with a 18inch bucket distributing the force widely. I was thinking just a slightly beveled (45 degree) leading edge would be adequate to cut roots and would be easy to maintain. Not sure I'd bother with putting a hardened edge on it as you could pretty easily build it back up if it does wear and you could build up some serrations later if the plain wedge was not sufficient. The big excavator rippers don't seem to have any fancy features at all except maybe replaceable teeth.

/ Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again #6  
wedge40 said:
This one looks a tad short. ....You would have a drawing with dimensions would you?

Wedge

The dimensions in the drawing can be varied depending on the size of the backhoe or excavator. I'm guessing that a Woods BH90x is about a 2-3 ton category. That would give a tooth depth of about 18 inches which is roughly the same as the bucket depth from the mount. I was thinking half inch steel would be fine but I see this table specifies closer to one inch so I'll need to think about that.

Attachments

• RipperTooth dimensions.pdf
    3 KB · Views: 829
IslandTractor said:
The dimensions in the drawing can be varied depending on the size of the backhoe or excavator. I'm guessing that a Woods BH90x is about a 2-3 ton category. That would give a tooth depth of about 18 inches which is roughly the same as the bucket depth from the mount. I was thinking half inch steel would be fine but I see this table specifies closer to one inch so I'll need to think about that.

I'm using 1" plate for the tooth/shank part of the ripper, 1/2 or 3/4 for the top plate and 3/8 for the mounting section.

Again I pretty much followed this design.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...oint-ripper-tooth.html?highlight=ripper+tooth

I think what I'll do is get some teeth before I have it made and then give it to the welder and he can figure out how to attach.

rswyan said he could remove stumps in about 10 minutes vs. 30 or more with the bucket. I'm guessing the hole will be smaller when done with the tooth as well.

Well I'll bring this back to the font of the pile. I got the email today that the Backhoe ripper is done and ready to be picked up. I wont be able to get to it till Friday, but once I get it home I'll post some photos.

Wedge

/ Backhoe Ripper tooth - Again #9  
You wll find the tyne will slip around the bigger roots as they follow the ark of the tyne possibly forcing your crowd ram to overcome the relief valve . You may need to weld on a hook about a third the way up to catch the root and tear it . You are welcome to look in my gallery at my root ripper i had built .

Well it's here. Attached are some photos.. It'll be a few weeks before I get to put it on and give it a try. Bob, (the guy who make it for me) did a good job and even made it a tad more stout than I had asked. The shank is 1 1/2" thick, and is made up of three 1/2" plates sandwiched together. Someone had suggested this and I'm glad Bob did it.

Shank thickness.
Ripper_02_shank.jpg

Sort of a view of the whole thing.
Ripper_03.jpg

Tooth.
Ripper_05_tooth.jpg

Whole thing.
Ripper_06_side.jpg

Wedge

Last edited: