Band Saw blade guides?

/ Band Saw blade guides? #1  

chrisinnh

Hello!

This question isn't a super good fit for this forum, but recent threads (TSC Bandsaw and Cutting fluid) have shown that there is plenty of expertise around here.

I recently scored a DoAll C-4 9x12 horizontal bandsaw on Craigslist. Here's a shot of one of the blade guides.
blade_guide.gif

The blade runs between #12 and #14, with pressure controlled by screw #8 and belleville springs #9.

Well, before I got it, somebody backed out the screw to fuss with the blade, and #12 got lost on both guides.

I called DoAll, they want $66 for a little rectange of metal with a hole in it!

I was thinking I could just make a new one out of mild steel, but wanted to collect some group wisdom before I head down a road that will cost me more in bandsaw blades than I would have spent on a couple of blade guides.

Thoughts?

Thanks very much.

/ Band Saw blade guides? #2  
That saw you got is a very good one. It is a smaller industrial saw and should be a great asset to you. I wish I had one! Does it use 1" or 3/4" wide blades?

I'm pretty sure you can do that with no problem. The older DoAll uses that piece as a wear piece anyway. Your blades are much harder than the mild steel. You could consider silicon bronze as a wear piece too. One thing I didn't get from the parts view is how the roller is adjusted? And there is only one roller. So #12 must be a wear piece that allows the blade to be positioned for the roller to work.
Most newer saws have 3 rollers. Two that capture the blade like your roller and adjustment wear piece, and one on top that adjusts cutting pressure. On my Well's saws, the top pressure roller was hydraulically adjusted. They were very expensive industrial saws and fully automatic.

Anyway, IMHO think you will be alright making your own.

/ Band Saw blade guides? #4  
I would imagine that the roller is set up to run on the back edge of the blade, and the wear plates on the side of the blades.
I didn't see your saw listed, but you can probably find more about it from doall. (DoALL Sawing - Home) You probably already knew that since you have talked to Doall.
I would think that #12 would be easy to make even if you had to use a hacksaw,a hand drill, grinder, vise and a tap. There just isn't that much to it, so you won't have a fortune in it in materials if you do mess it up. You might have to buy the right sized drill and a tap but then you could make more of them in the future.
David from jax

/ Band Saw blade guides? #5  
I used to buy blades on ebay in the hundred foot coil, then I would have them welded to size by a local saw shop. It was a whole lot cheaper !

/ Band Saw blade guides? #6  
It's unlikely that both guides would be missing unless they were removed on purpose. Maybe they wore out or were taken off because somebody couldn't adjust the saw with them in place. I think you want to take a good look at the rest of the saw just in case there's something else to this that needs attention.

Whatever you put back, you don't want it to break the blade because it starts running into $.

/ Band Saw blade guides? #7  
not sure on you're saw, but on our saw and many like it they use CARBIDE as a wear surface due to heat resistance wear and a host of other items. The soft steel bronze ect can leave deposits onto the blade causing it to DRAG and or BIND between the 2 wear plates. also the carbide handles the excess heat that is generated without wearing too bad. if you try it and it works with no problems though have at it & let every one know.

mark

/ Band Saw blade guides? #8  
My Roll-In vertical saw has blocks as guides, that can be turned around to different sides, and each side has a different height step built into it, for different widths of blades. I have been considering using some rollers to replace them, so I don't get as many chips hanging up on the guides. Then I think about it a little while, and realize that if I would just hook up the air pump on it, I wouldn't have nearly as much problems with the stray chips. It would probably also make my tires last longer, as the chips tend to cut into the tires when caught between the blade and the tire.
David from jax

/ Band Saw blade guides?
Thanks for all of the replies!

3RRL said:
It is a smaller industrial saw and should be a great asset to you. I wish I had one! Does it use 1" or 3/4" wide blades?
Yes, I'm very pleased to have it. DoAll told me it takes 131" blade either 3/4" or 1" wide and .035" thick.

how the roller is adjusted?
The roller doesn't get adjusted. It's not clear in this picture, but the roller sits up higher than I think you're assuming it does. The blade rides between #12 (adjustable position) and #14 (non-adjustable). The back edge of the blade rides against the "sidewall" of the #10 bearing.

sandman2234 said:
#12 would be easy to make even if you had to use a hacksaw,a hand drill, grinder, vise and a tap. There just isn't that much to it, so you won't have a fortune in it in materials
Yup, no problem making a lump of something that measures .86"x.68"x.22" and has a hole in the middle. My dilemma is figuring out what to make it from, and where to get that material. The $66 pricetag made me wonder if these blade guides weren't made out of something pretty special.

2manyrocks said:
It's unlikely that both guides would be missing unless they were removed on purpose. Maybe they wore out or were taken off because somebody couldn't adjust the saw with them in place. I think you want to take a good look at the rest of the saw just in case there's something else to this that needs attention.

I didn't get a blade with the saw, so somebody clearly was messing with it. The screw (#8) has a turned-down end which rides in the hole in #12. Ordinarily, it would be impossible to lose #12, but back that screw out far enough, and #12 can fall out.

There are a few other issues with the saw, other than the missing #12 and blade:
  • The head hold-up mechanism doesn't work (mostly fixed)
  • The head is loose on the frame, so it won't cut square without some fiddling (I think this is a shim issue)
  • I need to throw together a coolant system (happy to have that other thread around)
SPIKER said:
our saw and many like it they use CARBIDE as a wear surface due to heat resistance wear and a host of other items
Interesting. Well, a carbide lump would be a little tougher for me to whip together -- Especially the hole in the middle :)

/chris

/ Band Saw blade guides? #10  
I think I would try a couple of other thing besides carbide, such as what 3RRL suggested, or maybe some green stuff. (Delrin??) Anyway, plastic stuff that has almost no wear factor, but easy to cut and machine. I could probably find a piece of plastic for you to play with if you are interested in trying that. Heat is hard on that stuff, so it might not work right. Have you considered asking Doall what the guides are made of? Since you already suspect them to be made of gold or platinum, why not ask them which? You might get lucky and get a good answer!
David from jax