Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550

/ Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550 #31  
john_bud said:
Kent, now that truck just screams "move over".

Very nice.

The cab doesn't look raised, wonder how they overcame the alignment issues? Guess, I'll have to read about it and find out.

Too bad it's "Members Only" :(

jb

The F700 is a completely different beast the the F550 so they might now have had as many issues with the height.

/ Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550 #32  
KentT said:
I'm late to this topic, but you might find find this thread on our club's board helpful -- making a F700 pickup, complete with dump bed....

Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractor Club, Inc.

700rear.jpg

700frontside.jpg

700reardump.jpg

I am sure the builder already knows but that truck is amazing. Thanks for posting the pictures.

/ Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550
After lots of research and measuring and fitting and disassembling the truck, Today I will try another route. The intercooler and radiator is all the problem, it can't be relocated, it sits in a big hole in the core support and it cannot be cut as it holds the front of the truck together.
Now I know why they don"t make a body lift kit for a turbo diesel.
Thats OK with me, I have another trick up my sleeve and I will try it today
( all fingers crossed :D )
And that is a nice impressive F-700 truck, mine is not that high to start with, the rear top of my pick up bed near tail lites is just over 5 feet off the floor with no modifications to suspension at all.
EDIT
After a trip to our Ford dealer I found out that dually fenders will NOT fit a single wheel bed, That is another stick in my spokes but with lots of grinding and fiberglass work they will fit :D
Jim
:)

Last edited:
   / Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550 #34  
john_bud said:
Kent, now that truck just screams "move over".

Very nice.

The cab doesn't look raised, wonder how they overcame the alignment issues? Guess, I'll have to read about it and find out.

Too bad it's "Members Only" :(

jb
Sorry, I wasn't thinking of that when I posted the link... :eek:

If you guys want to see more pictures, I can link them in directly.:p

/ Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550 #35  
Is there a reason the front core support can't be raised?
David from jax

Doing a body lift the cab,bed and front end all get lifted, The problem I'm having is the radiator,AC condenser and intercooler all have to stay at the height they are and that won't work at all.
I need to get more bolts and shims Wednesday to continue this project
Jim

/ Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550 #37  
MrJimi said:
After a trip to our Ford dealer I found out that dually fenders will NOT fit a single wheel bed, That is another stick in my spokes but with lots of grinding and fiberglass work they will fit :D
Jim

Arrowcraft sells ones that will.

Arrowcraft - Dual Wheel Conversions

I don't suppose you could return the ones you have though....:confused:

Thanks for the link but I bought the bed and fenders from an individual at a good price ( Thanks to Ken in SA ) I can make these work with some minor adjusting here and there. I have done paint and bodywork for over 40 years. Nothing is impossible, just may take a little longer :D
And yesterday I did get it all to line up good.
Jim

/ Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550 #39  
Pictures? Details? How'ed you git er done?

jb

I'm nowhere near done I'm waiting for stores to open again for more shims and bolts and lot's of measuring yet
Jim