Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550

/ Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550 #1  

MrJimi

Elite Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
Case 1845 C Skid steer
I have no idea about doing this but I think I have most of the parts, I want a strong truck to haul my stuff with and I think I found it after looking at the high prices for dually PU's with diesels I decided to go this way.
I bought a 2002 Ford F-550, cab and chassis then I looked for a suitable bed for it and I do not want a flat bed and I bought a single wheel bed and some new dually fenders for it.
And now the fun begins, I had to travel about 70 miles to get bed and fenders and then it had to come off and get turned over right side up ( I love my 10.5' boom pole and Case 1845C )
I know we all love pictures so here are some for all of you
Take your time and enjoy and if you have any ideas for me, I all ears and eyes
Jim
:)

Attachments

• DSC00041 home with load.jpg
    DSC00041 home with load.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 4,510
  • Dually fenders.jpg
    Dually fenders.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3,220
  • 2002 F550 (19) back.jpg
    2002 F550 (19) back.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 3,423
  • 2002 F550 (22) Side.jpg
    2002 F550 (22) Side.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 3,494
  • DSCN5601.JPG
    DSCN5601.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 2,848
  • DSCN5602.JPG
    DSCN5602.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 2,600
  • DSCN5606.JPG
    DSCN5606.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 2,892
  • DSCN5609 G.jpg
    DSCN5609 G.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 4,259
   / Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550 #2  
I have a friend who works for a local company that removes those beds from new trucks, and adds utility bodies. Last two of them I have purchased have been under $500 each. Did you get the light set up with your fenders, and tailgate?
David from jax

/ Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550
Yes, I bought the complete setup for one money. Have you priced this stuff recently? ask you friend how much a 2006 bed and dually NEW fenders and tail lites and NEW tailgate would go for. My bed has not ever been in the rain, it is spotless on the underside.
It will come together. I am having a wicked hard time getting a 3" cab lift on account of the diesel intercooler and a few other things.
Jim

/ Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550 #4  
Curious- What is the 3" cab lift for? Is that required to make the bed fit?

Skyco said:
Curious- What is the 3" cab lift for? Is that required to make the bed fit?
The 3" cab lift is to align the natural body lines to be straight, here is a picture of what I mean
DSC000323inchesoff-1.jpg

The bed is lowered as much as it will go and still have a full working T/G

Jim

/ Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550 #6  
Do you know why there is such a difference...:confused:

Was the bed from a different sized pickup? You would think the F-550 cab would sit higher than any other Ford pickup.

Derek, The F-550 is same cab as a 250/350 but the frame on mine is straight back and on a regular P/U it has a hump over the rear axle. I have the bed lowered all the way down and still have a working tailgate.
I could get a 3" lift kit for a 250/350 and that part would be fine EXCEPT ! they all say will not fit diesel it's something about the turbo intercooler, I do know that I will have to get a steering extender and lower radiator cooling shroud, that is no problem and at this point of all these deadends, I am about ready to just make my own.
I have registered on a few forums that discuss this and still not getting anywhere. :(
Now if I were to make and put a flatbed on it, That would be real easy, I just don't like the look of a flatbed
I want a normal P/U bed :D
Jim

/ Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550 #8  
I left the same responce on the ford site, but if the stock tail gate is the problem what about a custom gate like for a 5th wheel. They are thinner, you could cut custom notches out to fit the frame, and make it look like part of the design. Or change the tail gate to a swing out instead of a drop down. Now thats custom!!

I just replied to your post there and I knew I knew that name.
This is hard to explain on a keyboard but if you were to see what I have, you the light would come on LOL
As of now I am going bolt shopping today and a trip to Ford dealer and I will take it from there
did I mention I hate flatbeds and that would work so ever easy and in my opinion look SO dumb.
Jim

/ Putting a pick-up bed on my F-550 #10  
could you modfy the hinge points ?

Attachments

• tailgate.jpg
    tailgate.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 2,037