Need recommends for continuous duty compressor

/ Need recommends for continuous duty compressor #1  

TractorDale

Bronze Member
Tractor
TC 29DA
I want to build a snow maker for my back yard and will need at least 5 scfm at 90 psi. Any recommendations for a compressor that I can run for 5-6 hours at a time that would cost under $1000?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dale
TC29DA

/ Need recommends for continuous duty compressor #2  
Sorry, no help on what kind of compressor you need (you could rent a diesel jackhammer style compressor), but I thought all of the snow making machines that I have looked at when skiing were fan blown water misters?

I would think you could come up with a fan a lot cheaper than a compressor ...

Obviously you have something else in mind

/ Need recommends for continuous duty compressor #3  
Dale, for that kind of budget, you really should have no problem. Just get one with cast iron cylinders, not aluminum (preferable, but not absolutely necessary, would be a V-twin). Of course, it needs to be oil lubricated, not oilless, and the bigger or deeper the crankcase, the better. I'd certainly get a belt drive, not direct off the motor.

/ Need recommends for continuous duty compressor #5  
bx24 said:
Sorry, no help on what kind of compressor you need (you could rent a diesel jackhammer style compressor), but I thought all of the snow making machines that I have looked at when skiing were fan blown water misters?

I would think you could come up with a fan a lot cheaper than a compressor ...

Obviously you have something else in mind

I worked at a ski resort the snow machines have compressors built in the fan is just used to distribute the "snow". some of the old style snow machines used the old diesel compressors they would pump water and air to a nozzle and compressed air would also be used to distribute it.

tom

AXIS 2420 Network Camera 2.31

/ Need recommends for continuous duty compressor
   / Need recommends for continuous duty compressor #7  
Dale

The only thing is hose size you need to look at the flow and pressure drop I wouldn't try any thing under 1/2" more like 3/4 like construction compressors use

tom

/ Need recommends for continuous duty compressor #8  
TractorDale said:
Thanks very much people. I always get help here. I came across this possibility:

FREE SHIPPING Ingersoll Rand Electric Stationary Air Compressor 5 HP, 18.1 CFM @ 90 PSI, 230 Volt, Model# SS5L5 | 10 - 30 CFM | Northern Tool + Equipment

This one would have to be parked in the garage. Would there be any issue with up to 100' run of hose from the compressor to the job?

Thanks again.

Dale

That's a bit of overkill, but then overkill is always better than not having enough.:D And I'd see no problem with 100' of hose. Of course, I've not run my current compressor continuously more than a couple of hours, but it's frequently running through 130' of hose. I use it instead of a gas or electric blower to clean out the garage, blow leaves and grass of the driveways and walk, etc.

/ Need recommends for continuous duty compressor #9  
TractorDale said:
I want to build a snow maker for my back yard and will need at least 5 scfm at 90 psi. Any recommendations for a compressor that I can run for 5-6 hours at a time that would cost under $1000?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dale
TC29DA
For continuous duty go 2 stage.

/ Need recommends for continuous duty compressor #10  
I would take a look on Craigslist for your surrounding area/states. I have seen a lot of nice compressors go by of a third to half of what you are going to pay from Northern(some say rip-off)Tool. Quincy is about the best name and is pressure lubricated. Other good brands are Champion, some Daytons, some IR's, (not atlas copco), Kellogg and a couple others that slip my mind. The newer the tank, the better, and check for corrosion if possible.