HP and weight vs plow size and depth of snow

/ HP and weight vs plow size and depth of snow #1  

bx24

Platinum Member
Like many others, I am fabbing up a snow plow and I have tried to take into consideration the combination of:

- Horsepower
- Machine weight
- Depth of snow
- Speed of machine when plowing

I thought I had this all figured out, but then I saw this video where:

- 1,000,000 lbs of steel
- 20 mph
- 15,000 hp

only to get stuck in 10 ft of snow!

YouTube - Train Snow Plow Getting Stuck

/ HP and weight vs plow size and depth of snow #2  
depending on how much snow you are getting I made a plow for my yanmar out of an old craftsman 48" blade. We usually get somewhere around 4 to 8 inchs at a time. I have not had any trouble clearing that amount with my front blade. See the photos in the yanmar section under slipping and sliding in the snow thread. I also added a 6 way rear blade and offset it to the right giving me about 5 to 6 feet clearing ability. Used my setup to clean off packed Ice and snow from the city street since the city doesn't seem to be able to find time to do it. I used second gear high range and 4wd and it worked great. I have less than $100.00 invested in my front blade. I use a 500# 8 inch linear actuator to lift and lower the blade and give it some down force, I also mounted an ATV 2000# winch above in case I have to pull myself or someone else from a ditch. Both the actuator and the winch are electric and use the same control just by swapping at the plug connector I installed at the mounting plate for the plow.

/ HP and weight vs plow size and depth of snow #3  
66" blade on by 18 HP, 1800 lb JD 4100 4fwd works fine here in Mpls, Minnesota. Could probably push 72".

Had to put the snowblower on to clear the ice rink, though. There the traction was the limiting factor.

- Rick

/ HP and weight vs plow size and depth of snow #4  
I would have liked you have been around when the driver explained this to the boss.He just plain ran outta road....
train2.jpg

Happened about a half mile from me and somehow,they got it back on the tracks by sundown.

/ HP and weight vs plow size and depth of snow #5  
BX24,

I think the limiting factor, for our lighter machines, will ultimately be traction.
With my Ford1220 and a 72" blade I can't remember pushing to the point of stalling more than a few times. I can remember pushing to the point of spinning tires quite often. That's on pavement.

If it's fluffy dry snow, you can push it all day long and use a wider blade.
If it's wet and heavy a less wide blade is going to be preferred.

I don't know if there is ever an optimum, as each snowfall is different.