Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2015HST & Mitsubish R1500

Default Re: Stump puller

Quote Originally Posted by MrJimi
    How about a skinny , long tooth grapple. Some thing with 3 or four fingers on the bottom and a few less on top, that way you could pull it out like a dentist pulls a tooth and most of the dirt would stay in the hole after you shake it some
    Here's a human powered version of that very thing:

Amazon.com: Fiskars UpRoot Weeder #7870: Home Improvement

And while there's a big difference between dandelions and evergreen tree roots, I'm pretty sure the mechanical principles would be the same and could be scaled to a front end loader.

Whatever you do, please post pix.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

Quote Originally Posted by philbuilt
    How about using some leverage. Think of the claw ona hammer. If you could fab somthing that has a simular shape. Drive into the stump and then lift and drive forward while rolling the stump out. I'll try and draw a picture.
    Phil
    Attachment 92679

I hope this helps Perhaps it should be approximatly 30" long and about 12" wide at the end and as wide as you can make it towards the tractor.

I tend to agree with this approach!
    Curved, sharpened and tapered (to dig in) probably 24" long or so combined with a clamp or 'overhead thumb' to grip the root mass or 'ball'.

This could be fabricated from a set of forks that would be modified.
    Once planted under the root mass the weight of the machine when the forks are 'curled' should cause tear out or extraction.

I base this on the fact that my FEL now has teeth on my bucket and I extract roots easily by simply curling my bucket.
    But obviously if I were curved extraction would be even easier (my bucket is flat bottomed)
    Whenb I curl my bucket all the roots caught up in my bucket teeth simply 'pop out'.
    It is the weight of the tractor mass that does the work!
    In my case the bucket is 48" wide so that would be too messy for your purposes but it proves the methodology of operation.
    (ps: I will be adding bucket clamping to contain the root mess I do extract)

Good luck!

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

Quote Originally Posted by srjones
    Here's a human powered version of that very thing:

Amazon.com: Fiskars UpRoot Weeder #7870: Home Improvement

And while there's a big difference between dandelions and evergreen tree roots, I'm pretty sure the mechanical principles would be the same and could be scaled to a front end loader.

Whatever you do, please post pix.
    LOL, here is my version of a weed buster and more pictures in my other gallery

Jim
    Click here for my current weather

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 850, Ford 1210, Ford 1700, Bobcat 742

Phil and Piloon-- my thoughts are along the same lines as yours. The claw hammer analogy is a stretch, but the bucket teeth similarity is there. I will certainly post pics when I get into the project

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

I know that you mentioned you would like to get a lot of the roots out because of root rot. I think that using a trencher device which looks like chainsaw bar on steriods. Trench around the stump with that. One of those could be mounted and driven from the PTO. Then use the FEL to push the stump over and out. Or one of the grappling devices mentioned. Afterwards treat the hole with some sort of rot retardant mixture. I am not a arborist but know that they treat tree's for root rot.
    My 2 cents worth of advice. It will be nice to see what you end up with.

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Perhaps something like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor
    JD 5225, JD 555B

My 3pt. boom has a foot that allows it to sit on the ground. I can sit it on the ground, chain a stump up to ~7-8", and pull it straight out with just the cylinder pressure on the boom.

You could also build a frame for a cylinder, grab the stump however you want (chain, hydraulic grabber, whatever), float your loader and let the cylinder rip it right out of the ground. Crude drawing attached...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    Pettibone, Ford, Massey Ferguson, International, JD, David Bradley, home mades

You have a lot of trees to get. We use a set of forks with just one of the forks on the frame. Instead of cutting a V in the fork, I made a channel iron piece that fit over the fork, with the V on it. Now, you can drive up to a stump, slip this in the ground a foot or so before the stump, get it against the root and rock all that hydrostatic drive pressure against the stump a few times and then roll the tip of the fork up and let the loader down and drive forward at the same time, and stump pops up. By rocking against it a few times, loosens the dirt around the roots and most of them come up with the stump. I would do it like regular farming, get them all up first, then come back and gather them all up. We have a HD brush rake that you can drag behind a tractor and get all the loose stumps gathered up with. But, digging one stump, and moving it to over there, coming back, dig another one and so on will take the rest of your life. Dig em, then pile em, then burn em. I have cleared lots of land in my lifetime. I have cleared acres with a Bobcat. Left nothing but the large trees. Hydrostatic drive is wonderful for your application. Good luck.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Farm Pro 2420 (Jinma 200) & SVET46K Skid Loader, Raven MPV710 Mower

ROUSTABOUT how about a picture?

I do'nt know how to do the cut and paste deal yet but you are welcome to look at my gallery pics of a ripper tyne i have just had made to my design . It is for tree stump removal using my 3.5 tonne excavator but could be reverse mounted on a skid steer . This tyne when fitted with the "Tiger Tooth" boot plics out smaller trees like splinters . And when fitted with the "Chisel" type tooth can remove trees 450mm in diametre .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast