Stump puller

/ Stump puller #41  
Ironhorse, that was what I was getting at. Not small teeth, but large ones. the front edge of your ripper reminds me of the profile of a hand crosscut woodsaw with two large triangular teeth.

/ Stump puller #42  
It took me a while to find Iron Horse's photos as well.
Interesting design for the ripper tooth. I think I would have put an edge on one side of the tooth sticking out. That way as you hook the root and start to pull on it, it would be sliced as it gets pulled into the hook.

I have tooth at the end of mine also, in case I need to pick at the larger roots first. I pick mine up Friday.. Common Friday.
Oh ya .. common spring. down here in southern Indiana we are getting a nice ice storm right now. I love winter, I love spring, it's that in between part the sucks.

Wedge

/ Stump puller #43  
I wonder if a sub-soiler with a notched blade on the leading edge would undercut the stump and grip enough to lift it out?

/ Stump puller #44  
Champy said:
I wonder if a sub-soiler with a notched blade on the leading edge would undercut the stump and grip enough to lift it out?

It probably could, but then you get into lift force issues with the 3PH, at least on a small tractor. Another issue is sub soiler placement. A good placement distance on my tractor puts the rear wheel where the stump is, so you are limited on how much of a cut you can take alongside the stump and are forced to approach the stump from many different angles to get to all the roots. I have used the subsoiler on a few larger stumps, and it did help to loosen and cut roots, but terrain and other trees usually limit my ability to approach from different angles. For me it works best when the stump is small enough that I can drive over it, and smaller stumps in general are of course easier. Best results with the subsoiler for me have been on stumps smaller than 6". With those, the tooth on the end of hte subsoiler can go deep enough to engage the roots. I rip a path on either side of the stump then drive right over the middle and dig in before the stump so hte subsoiler engages the middle of he rootwad. Once engaged, I lift with the 3PH and they usualy lift right out...

You might also be limited by depth you can get the sub soiler blade down to around a big stump. The ripper on a backhoe allows you to get deep enough to do some serious root damage and only perhaps have to re-position the tractor once to get to all the roots around a big stump. I spent a lot of time on ways to do this without a backhoe over the past 2 years, and for larger stumps, it is pretty much the best tool.

I just bought some steel yesterday to start fabbing a ripper blade for my backhoe. I will post some pics when I get it assembled.

/ Stump puller #45  
philbuilt said:
How about using some leverage. Think of the claw ona hammer. If you could fab somthing that has a simular shape. Drive into the stump and then lift and drive forward while rolling the stump out. I'll try and draw a picture.
Phil
View attachment 92679

I like this idea. Except I would suggest you need the "handle" as well as the claw which would let you use leverage to pry the stumps out. Envision a skid steer sized claw hammer stood up on end in front of the machine. Attach a vertical tube (3 x3 or 4x4) the same length as the claw handle (say 4 or 5 ft) to a quick attach plate. Attach the top of this tube and the top of the claw handle together at the top to form a pivot. Push the claw into ground under the stump and then apply bucket dump as you drive the machine backward. Stump will pop like pulling a nail.

See the attached honeysuckle/shrub puller for an idea of the concept.

Honeysuckle popper, Bush and Shrub removal without a back breaking garden shovel - Mister Honeysuckle

John M

/ Stump puller #46  
haven't read all the ideas, but ever think of a one tooth ripper? Attach it to the backside of the bucket, and rip roots on either side close to the stump as you can and come up under the stump with the tooth, should pop them ritght out. Make it at least 18in long. Might even think of just taking the bucket off and pinning the ripper on by itself if you are just getting them out of the ground and pick them up later.

/ Stump puller #48  
i know of a lot of tree farms that use a fae stump grinder but its only PTO
they say it works well and fast no dirt loss no back filling

/ Stump puller #49  
tree grower said:
Thanks guys, keep em coming.

I've yet to read a really wild idea, and that's my specialty.

First thing I think of, is the roots are stronger than everyone thinks. So let's cut the roots, and cut them deep. Then you can grab the stump and pop it right out.

Start with a 12" piece of heavy wall pipe about 3 feet long. With a plasma cutter, cut some teeth on 1 end, and grind them sharp. Alternatively, you could use thinner tubing, and wrap and weld a length of heavy bandsaw blade to the end. On the other end, weld a cap, and attach fittings to mate it to a cheap auger. You will end up with a giant hole saw.

To remove the stump, run the cutter down to about 24" depth, and all the lateral roots will be cut. A tap root going straight down is easily defeated, so you're left with a stump that should be easy to pull out with an ice tong type grapple.

I'm 100% sure it will work. The devil is in the details. :D

/ Stump puller #50  
have_blue said:
I've yet to read a really wild idea, and that's my specialty.

First thing I think of, is the roots are stronger than everyone thinks. So let's cut the roots, and cut them deep. Then you can grab the stump and pop it right out.

Start with a 12" piece of heavy wall pipe about 3 feet long. With a plasma cutter, cut some teeth on 1 end, and grind them sharp. Alternatively, you could use thinner tubing, and wrap and weld a length of heavy bandsaw blade to the end. On the other end, weld a cap, and attach fittings to mate it to a cheap auger. You will end up with a giant hole saw.

To remove the stump, run the cutter down to about 24" depth, and all the lateral roots will be cut. A tap root going straight down is easily defeated, so you're left with a stump that should be easy to pull out with an ice tong type grapple.

I'm 100% sure it will work. The devil is in the details. :D
Couldn't you just get PHD and use a 9" auger with teeth to accomplish the same thing.

Wedge