Considering Homemade Plow

/ Considering Homemade Plow #1  

JeffandTamara

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35, Case 1190
I need a plow to work up a small garden. I have a 3-Pt roto tiller, but would like to get a little deeper and Properly turn over the soil this spring.

Since high acerage is not a consideration, I am considering to build something that would be a single plow configuration, I think this would be sufficient.

If I could find an old pull type plow or set of plows, could I fairly eaisly convert to a 3-pt Hitch setup? What are the critical variables to control? Angle, depth from Plow bottom, etc,,, I have never plowed before, so really don't know what I am getting into. Last couple of years, I have just used the tiller to break the garden...

/ Considering Homemade Plow #2  
JeffandTamara said:
I need a plow to work up a small garden. I have a 3-Pt roto tiller, but would like to get a little deeper and Properly turn over the soil this spring.

Since high acerage is not a consideration, I am considering to build something that would be a single plow configuration, I think this would be sufficient.

If I could find an old pull type plow or set of plows, could I fairly eaisly convert to a 3-pt Hitch setup? What are the critical variables to control? Angle, depth from Plow bottom, etc,,, I have never plowed before, so really don't know what I am getting into. Last couple of years, I have just used the tiller to break the garden...

Before you go to all the trouble of building one after locating parts, care to make a 4 hour road trip one way and pick mine up for $50? It's a single bottom 14", if not larger. Brand is International, not IH. It's laying out back without any paint on it. I can't use it with my TC18.

/ Considering Homemade Plow #4  
JeffandTamara said:

Get yourself a middle buster plow from TSC ($140) to plow the soil and use your rototiller to bust up the clods. You can pull a home made drag (log with chain link fence, old bed spring, etc) behind the rototiller to level the soil if your tiller doesn't do that for you.

Here's my setup using a middle buster and a used $300 Yanmar RS-1200 rototiller (4-ft wide) with my Kubota B7510HST:

DSCF0089-small.jpg

DSCF0209Medium.jpg

You may be able to find a used middle buster pretty cheap.

/ Considering Homemade Plow #5  
Why would anyone use a middle buster anyways?
If you want to turn the soil nice and clean with no weeds on top, you are going to need a plough.
If you just want to till a little deeper, a cultivator or subsoiler works better than a middle buster, with less mess to level out...

I'm not that fond of tillers anyways, because they slush all structure out of the soil, which doesnt really help growing conditions. They are a good tool for shallow tillage or to break up old grassland, but on ploughed soil they powder the soil too fine.
If you want to plough in order to bury all manure and weed, use something like a harrow or spring tine cultivator to create a shallow seedbed.

/ Considering Homemade Plow #6  
flusher said:
Get yourself a middle buster plow from TSC ($140) to plow the soil and use your rototiller to bust up the clods. You can pull a home made drag (log with chain link fence, old bed spring, etc) behind the rototiller to level the soil if your tiller doesn't do that for you.

Here's my setup using a middle buster and a used $300 Yanmar RS-1200 rototiller (4-ft wide) with my Kubota B7510HST:

DSCF0089-small.jpg

DSCF0209Medium.jpg

You may be able to find a used middle buster pretty cheap.

This is what I do also. I have a middle buster for a cut, little bigger, I think it was cheaper, around 100.00 KK from Farm&Fleet

/ Considering Homemade Plow #7  
Go to a winter farm equipment consignment auction and buy one ready made for $50-$75.

/ Considering Homemade Plow #8  
Renze said:
Why would anyone use a middle buster anyways?
If you want to turn the soil nice and clean with no weeds on top, you are going to need a plough.
If you just want to till a little deeper, a cultivator or subsoiler works better than a middle buster, with less mess to level out...

I have a middle buster that I use for exactly the purpose indicated here. My tiller doesn't get deep enough and every once in a while, I want to break up the bottom pan a little. I wouldn't think you would have to worry about "weeds on top" or anything in an existing garden. If you are creating a garden, then a plough would be the best implement of choice. But you use what ya got I guess! :D