Very light duty "real" forks

/ Very light duty "real" forks #1  

bx24

Platinum Member
I have read several threads about homemade fork assemblies, but I have always been frustrated by the weight of the forks themselves. Since my BX24 will only lift around 500-600 lbs with the FEL, I did not want to put traditional Class II forks on that weight almost 100 lbs each (I have a pair right now and I weighed them). Given that I cannot use the extra strength capacity, I would much rather lift that much more using lighter duty forks.

I found this site that has a "micro setup" that should work well for small tractors (originally designed for Toro Dingos???). They are rated at 900 lbs (well below what is needed for bigger tractors), but at 84 lbs for the set, they should be perfect for sub-compacts. They seem to have any size fork anyone could possibly want, but I have yet to find forks designed this small.

The raw forks were something like $130 for 36" versions, and $10 bucks more for the 42" versions (just the raw forks, no tube. If you want the tubes welded on top - add about $30). Both lengths had the same $50 shipping charge. The whole frame setup ran somewhere in the $500 range.

One could argue that simply using box tube or heavy angle iron would do the same thing, but for not that much more, these seem reasonable to have solid heat treated forks.

Micro Pallet Forks for Compact Skid Steers

/ Very light duty "real" forks #2  
It looks good to me for what you intend to do with it. .

/ Very light duty "real" forks #3  
BX-

I made clamp on forks for my BX24 using 2x5 steel channel about 32" long. While they work well for small jobs, the forks are so far out in front of the lift point, your actual lift capacity is reduced dramatically. The farther out in front the load is, the less the capacity

For example: I can only lift about 7 sheets of 3/4" plywood but have put twelve 80 lb bags of concrete in the bucket and been able to lift it several inches off the ground, enough to transport it. Your limiting factor is pushing the load too far out in front of the lift point.

What you are considering would increase your lift well beyond clamp on forks, plus you lose the weight of the bucket. Your only hurdle is removing the bucket and tilt cylinder so it won't be too much of a PITA and fitting a mounting bracket for the forks.

John

/ Very light duty "real" forks #4  
Looks good. I would also like a light set of forks. I'm waiting for my tractor now. It will be delivered this week. Then I will look in to making forks or buying them.

/ Very light duty "real" forks
I keep talking about this, but hopefully in the next couple of months I will get everything together I need (from a scrap metal perspective) to convert my traditional FEL bucket into a quick release style (a hybrid of a JD and skid steer setup). From there I will make a whole fork frame that will enable me to carry the load closer to the tractor for more power.

Once done, I will post some pics .....

/ Very light duty "real" forks #6  
bx24 said:
I have read several threads about homemade fork assemblies, but I have always been frustrated by the weight of the forks themselves. Since my BX24 will only lift around 500-600 lbs with the FEL, I did not want to put traditional Class II forks on that weight almost 100 lbs each (I have a pair right now and I weighed them). Given that I cannot use the extra strength capacity, I would much rather lift that much more using lighter duty forks.

I found this site that has a "micro setup" that should work well for small tractors (originally designed for Toro Dingos???). They are rated at 900 lbs (well below what is needed for bigger tractors), but at 84 lbs for the set, they should be perfect for sub-compacts. They seem to have any size fork anyone could possibly want, but I have yet to find forks designed this small.

The raw forks were something like $130 for 36" versions, and $10 bucks more for the 42" versions (just the raw forks, no tube. If you want the tubes welded on top - add about $30). Both lengths had the same $50 shipping charge. The whole frame setup ran somewhere in the $500 range.

One could argue that simply using box tube or heavy angle iron would do the same thing, but for not that much more, these seem reasonable to have solid heat treated forks.

Micro Pallet Forks for Compact Skid Steers

I just ordered a set of the 36" forks this morning for @ $137.00 and @ $50.00 for shipping. The guy said they come with 1" tubes welded on already. They're going on an "06" B21 and will be used to move cordwood stored on pallets. It'll be nice to have a set of forks. Thanks for the info BX24. I visited that site a bunch of times before, but never notice the 36" forks and didn't know they were so inexpensive. thanks again.

Howard

Howard

/ Very light duty "real" forks #7  
ATI has forks for the BX that replace the bucket, and so move things closer to the pivot pins. Unfortunately, they have discontinued the quick change they offered for the loader, so it is more of a problem to change back, and forth.

/ Very light duty "real" forks #8  
I have a B6100 that has only a 500 lb or so capacity in the bucket. I made a set of forks myself - out of wood 2x4's.

Basically, I put a piece of angle iron along the top edge of the bucket to form a "lip". Then I made two "Els" out of wood. The vertical member of each L is cut to the vertical distance fom the bucket bottom to the inside of the lip on the upper edge minus 1 1/2" (the thickness of the bottom 2x4). The horizontal member of the L (the "fork") is cut to a lenght that will extend about three feet beyond the front edge of the bucket.

I wedge each "fork" into the bucket. The lip on the top edge holds the vertical member in. The 2x4's fit nicely between the teeth on my tooth bar so that gives them left - right stability.

I don't know what the weight capacity of these are but I've stood on the front edge of each one and I weign 260 lbs so together their capacity exceeds the lift capacity of the FEL.

Cost - scrap 2x4s. Added weight - not much.

I wouldn't lift anything valuable with them, though.

WVBill

/ Very light duty "real" forks #9  
kubota2630 said:
Looks good. I would also like a light set of forks. I'm waiting for my tractor now. It will be delivered this week. Then I will look in to making forks or buying them.
Check out pains forks.
I like my clamp ons.

/ Very light duty "real" forks #10  
I know a fellow with a 40 or so Hp David Brown, unsure of the FELs capacity but he had a single 6" forklift fork he picked up somewhere, took a few zip cuts and his angle grinder and ground the fork in 1/2.
I'm sure a 4" fork could be split and would work fine for lifting 500 lbs, a pair or 4" are rated 3000 to 4000 lb capacity depending on the manufacturer.
Regards
Ken