Snow Plow Wings

/ Snow Plow Wings #1  

skidsteer.ca

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat 553, 773, S185, Nh LS 160
I was getting a bit tired of the time it takes to clear the parking area of my yard so I built a set of bolt on wings forward swept at 30 degrees to widen my 8' blade into a 10'
I quite pleased with the performance as the plow now works as a pusher when the blade is straight and carries double the volume of snow. Also I can still angle blade with it.
I would recommend this mod to anyone who cleans up moderate to light amounts of snow or finds themself carrying snow some distance:D
The last pics is of the factory wings that make a blade into a pusher. They work ok and can be manually hinged in behind the blade for angle blading.
Now what i'd like to try someday is a hinged version of these wings with cylinders so they could be swept forward or back. Anyone try that?
Ken

Attachments

• IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 7,728
  • IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 8,477
  • IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 12,587
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 11,587
   / Snow Plow Wings #2  
You did an excellent job, but I'm wondering why you built your own if you already have a set of factory ones? Also, how did you manage to curve the steel for the face of the wings?

/ Snow Plow Wings #3  
maybe he started with a piece of 18" or 24" pipe to cut up - at least that's what a guy I know did to extend out his blade on the back of the tractor.

/ Snow Plow Wings
Northstar9126 said:
I'm wondering why you built your own if you already have a set of factory ones? Also, how did you manage to curve the steel for the face of the wings?
The factory set was on a plow I sold to a customer. I ordered in what he wanted but took a photo for future reference.

I had the local steel supplier bend the plate in his break. I just gave him a piece of cardboard cut to the curve of the blade and had him match it. I want to make a knife edge to put on my press that pushes into a full width angle iron, set with the open side up. Then I can bend narrow pieces like that in the future
Ken

/ Snow Plow Wings #5  
QUOTE]Now what i'd like to try someday is a hinged version of these wings with cylinders so they could be swept forward or back. Anyone try that?[/QUOTE]

Here is someone who has done something simular
BLIZZARD Snowplows

/ Snow Plow Wings #6  
   / Snow Plow Wings #7  
We built a set of extensions almost identical to yours. We used 24" pipe that is 1/2" thick and was exact curvature. The folding idea is good, but build them to swing up!! Other brands that swing forward and back tend to be too flat and not roll the snow as well!! Would have too much of gap with the Bobcat plows!

/ Snow Plow Wings #8  
QUOTE]Now what i'd like to try someday is a hinged version of these wings with cylinders so they could be swept forward or back. Anyone try that?

Here is someone who has done something similar
BLIZZARD Snowplows[/QUOTE]

Although I front mounted the 8 ft blower on my big 4wd Massey, there has barley been enough snow this year to try it and have been thinking about adding wings to my 9 ft blade. I have a 125 foot push before I can start losing the snow without burying the neighbor and think that with the angled wings, I should be able to clear the entire upper portion in 2 or 3 passes.
The Blizzard plows in scoop mode that 3238dpw linked above, look like they could be fabricated quite easily with just a single cylinder and pusher rod running across behind the blade, to actuate both sides at the same time with a single control lever. I think with some good stiff conveyor belt between the plow and ends it should easily contain the snow.
If anyone has tried it, I'd sure like to see it. Maybe this will be another project this summer.