Quick Hitch to Quick Attach Plate

/ Quick Hitch to Quick Attach Plate #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I started a project to attach an old snow plow frame to a QA plate for my TC40DA 16LA loader. Then I read this tread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/113355-snowplow-mounted-qa-plate.html and really like the idea of a 3PH setup up front, making the QA a multi-purpose unit. Then I read this thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/113489-quickhitch-fel-bucket-yes-another.html and saw MrJimi's HF QH attached to a QA plate.

As luck would have it, I was traveling to Indianapolis so I stopped by the HF store and purchased a QH for $70. So now I have the QA plate and the QH setting on the floor of the shop. I need to a) figure out how to weld and/or bolt the two together and b) figure out if I weld a tube across the bottom with tabs for the snow plow or to build a bar with tabs to fit the QH.

Suggestions? I'm thinking I need to stop reading post and just do something!:)

/ Quick Hitch to Quick Attach Plate #2  
I don't have any suggestions but I plan to do the same thing, please take plenty of pictures so I can copy off of you. I think that makes for a sweet setup. Plus I can plow the drive before running over the snow.

/ Quick Hitch to Quick Attach Plate
bones1 said:
Take some pictures with them setup the way you want them to work.We'll go from there. Did that make any sense?.
OK, here are some pictures. The QA plate fits perfectly. The QH is taller than the plate. I'm looking at welding a tube between the legs of the QH and will weld tabs for the snow plow to that. Or, I could build something to use the QH, welding tabs to the draw bar.

The final shot is of the snow blade.
Thanks

Attachments

• qaplate.jpg
    qaplate.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,028
  • qaqh.jpg
    qaqh.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 758
  • qaqhtube.jpg
    qaqhtube.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 805
  • qaqhbar.jpg
    qaqhbar.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 755
  • snowblade.jpg
    snowblade.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 880
   / Quick Hitch to Quick Attach Plate #6  
Hi
I would weld the square tube along the bottom of the QA plate and then weld your snowplow mounting tabs (strengthened with gussets) directly to the tube. Meyers plow instructions say that the CL of the mounting holes in the tabs should be 11 1/2" above the ground and I have found that this height is important as it controls the "dig" angle of the plow. There are incredible stresses on these tabs so the tube can help strengthen the QA plate and disperse stress along the length of the tube.

The Quick hitch can then be welded directly above the tube. I don't see the fact that it sticks up higher than the plate as a big problem as long as you have some good welds which can support the weight of impliments via the toplink or the weight of your plow via the chain top connection point.

One last point, I see the quick hitch used to connect a scraper blade which has been turned 180 degrees to create a snowplow. I would assume that without trip springs as on a real snowplow, the fixed mount scraper blade might create some damaging twisting forces to the loader frame/quick hitch if either side of the blade digs into solid ground and does not trip. It might work for a low speed, light snow on pavement but I would be reluctant to use that setup on anything uneven. Greg

papy said:
MAN IF YOU ONLY PAID 70.00 for the plate i got riped off i paid 200.00 for mine.
good luck
PAPY
I paid $70 for the quick hitch. I piad $85 for the plate, plus $40 shipping on e-bay. It appears to be well made.

gpd9780 said:
Hi
I would weld the square tube along the bottom of the QA plate and then weld your snowplow mounting tabs (strengthened with gussets) directly to the tube. Meyers plow instructions say that the CL of the mounting holes in the tabs should be 11 1/2" above the ground and I have found that this height is important as it controls the "dig" angle of the plow. There are incredible stresses on these tabs so the tube can help strengthen the QA plate and disperse stress along the length of the tube.

The Quick hitch can then be welded directly above the tube. I don't see the fact that it sticks up higher than the plate as a big problem as long as you have some good welds which can support the weight of impliments via the toplink or the weight of your plow via the chain top connection point.

One last point, I see the quick hitch used to connect a scraper blade which has been turned 180 degrees to create a snowplow. I would assume that without trip springs as on a real snowplow, the fixed mount scraper blade might create some damaging twisting forces to the loader frame/quick hitch if either side of the blade digs into solid ground and does not trip. It might work for a low speed, light snow on pavement but I would be reluctant to use that setup on anything uneven. Greg
Thanks. That old plow (from an early Willys Jeep PU) is heavy. It does have good trip springs. I suspect it will be the heaviest thing I hang off the front, and for that reason, I will go with your suggestion of the tube for reinforcement.
I've got a 3pt boom pole and a carry-all I plan to use up front. I'm fairly new at welding, so I'll just need to take my time.

/ Quick Hitch to Quick Attach Plate #9  
Barry, here are the pictures I spoke of

24370DSC00032-med.JPG

24370DSC00033-med.JPG

24370DSC00033_Small_welded_angle-med.jpg

I use one plate for more than one use :D

Jim
:)

/ Quick Hitch to Quick Attach Plate #10  
lhfarm said:
I paid $70 for the quick hitch. I piad $85 for the plate, plus $40 shipping on e-bay. It appears to be well made.

That seem like a pretty good deal to me.

The job looks good so far.

Shane