Burning waste oil in a kerosene forced air heater?

/ Burning waste oil in a kerosene forced air heater? #1  

KYErik

Platinum Member
Tractor
1977 AC 7000, 1980 JD 2840, 1963 Case 930, 1963 Ford 4000, 1943 Case SC, Case 530CK backhoe
I enjoyed the waste oil heater thread.

I have an old kerosene heater- the 120 volt forced air torpedo type with blower/pump/spray nozzle/spark ignition etc.

This gave me an idea.

If the waste oil was well filtered, and if the heater was operated so that it blew the exhaust into a horizontal stove pipe, which then made a bend and exited through the roof in a standard metal flue- could it be used a a shop heater?

Or do you think that the waste oil would even burn in this type of heater?

What if I started it on kerosene and then switched it over to waste oil when it got good and hot?

I assume the combustion would be much more dirty and smoky and that's why I proposed directing into a flue pipe.

Anyone heard of some trying this?

I also have access to a fuel oil furnace (complete with blower/injection assembly/heat exchanger assembly)- the owner just wanted to upgrade to a propane furnace. Any chance that this could be used to burn waste oil?

/ Burning waste oil in a kerosene forced air heater? #2  
In the FWIW, I run two Black Gold waste oil heaters in our shops.

They also do some pre-heat, etc to the oil to make it burn.

You may be able to look at them online etc, and see what they are doing and incorporate those features into a "home brew" unit. After all, that is how they came about.

/ Burning waste oil in a kerosene forced air heater? #3  

You'd have to experiment w different nozzles in the fuel oil furnace, but it should work. Assuming the pump could handle the thicker oil.

/ Burning waste oil in a kerosene forced air heater? #4  
Could you cocktail the oil with heating oil? 1part heat oil to 4parts waist oil. still a savings.
Phil

/ Burning waste oil in a kerosene forced air heater?
Thanks for the ideas on the oil furnace- seeing how high a % waste oil still burns well.

I am hoping that the kerosene heater might work that way as well (mixing waste oil with kerosene).

Since the kerosene heater is easier to work with, I'll give it a try with a waste oil/kerosene mixure in a week or so and let you all know what happens.

/ Burning waste oil in a kerosene forced air heater? #6  
At any mix ratio there would be a potential savings. Start small and work your way up until you start to have problems. Make notes at the different ratios for future reference.

Just for safety, move the heater outside and away from buildings. You could run it off a drop cord for the tests.

Keep us posted, I know where I can get one of those heaters. I might have to try this myself. :rolleyes:

/ Burning waste oil in a kerosene forced air heater? #7  
Id install a Carbon monoxide alarm just to be safe .

I have thought about running a oil mix with my diesel

Thats all anyone down here runs in their "kerosine" Torpedo heaters

Ive never seen anyone run kero in one

I hear alot of people say that diesel in theres burns there eyes or smells bad but ive never noticed it

My neighbor has a round kero heater that he uses in his home not the fan forced kind and i notice more of an odor from it than i do my torpedo in my shop

Let me know how the oil additive works I suggest putting the oil in a 5 gal bucket and pumping from the top to elimate sediment and water

Alot of folks i know put a little gasoline in the diesel heaters to get more heat.