garden tractor loader

/ garden tractor loader #1  

qwerty15

Silver Member
Tractor
1967 Jacobsen Chief 1000
I want to build a loader for my jacobsen. What kind of steel should i use? What about bushings and grease zerks? What should the angle on the boom be? Is any design better than another? I was thinking about designing it like kubotas L35. I want the loader linkage to have at least a 4o degree rollback angle. I would also like a lift hight of 6 feet and a lift capacity of 350lbs. The loader is going to stay on the tractor so should i bolt it or weld it on. Any diagrams or close up photos of loaders would be helpful.

/ garden tractor loader #2  
Querty15,

Welcome To TractorByNet! I read over your inquiry, and all are good questions, but I can't help you with any but one. "Don't Weld Your Toys To The Tractor!" I know it seems like a great way to keep things solid and in place, but toys welded in place must stay in place. Two years ago I purchased a new tractor. The fellow that purchased my old one did not want any of the toys I had (Snow Blade, Landscape Bucket, Sprayer, Etc.). I have now modified them all to fit my new tractor and am glad to have them! The savings was tremendous over buying new (again) and a few turned out better than originally designed!

Nice to have your post in this new forum! Keep us posted as to your progress with this project. Pictures would be muchly appreciated!

Boys & Their Toys! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ garden tractor loader #3  
I just received some plans for a Backhoe Model 821 from the folks at CadPlan and they have blueprints for loaders of various sizes as well. The plans look very detailed and may help you decide which way to build. Here is their link for <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.cadplans.com/loaders.htm/>loaders</A>.

If that doesn't work (first time I've tried to include a link) you can cut and paste this http://www.cadplans.com/loaders.htm.

Good luck
Bob

/ garden tractor loader #4  
remember when your putting a front loader on a your tractor that it has to be as back towards foot plates as far as possible so not to put a lot of weight on front end when driving also if in front to much the weight will make for hard steering and possibly bend front axles from driving over uneven ground (like big stone ) just my thought. also when building your loader, you can make your tank in with loader by using square tubing under and up rights as the tank . when welding uprights to 4" tube make sure to drill hole for oil then weld in uprights and there is your tank plumb it at top for fill,close as you can to bottom for pump and return about 3/4 up on uprights. hope this helps:)

/ garden tractor loader #5  
"Don't Weld Your Toys To The Tractor!" I know it seems like a great way to keep things solid and in place, but toys welded in place must stay in place. Two years ago I purchased a new tractor. The fellow that purchased my old one did not want any of the toys I had (Snow Blade, Landscape Bucket, Sprayer, Etc.). I have now modified them all to fit my new tractor and am glad to have them!

I will 2nd that...I made a FEL for a lawn tractor, despite advice not to. Once I had rebuilt the steering, front axle, and front spindles, then the transaxle, I began to see the light. I found a garden tractor with a cast iron transaxle and moved my toys over. Now, I still had to do a bunch of cutting and welding, but my approach was to weld up to a mounting plate, and then bolt that to the tractor. My mounting plates got a bit long...you could call them frame doublers and not be too far off. But being able to unbolt all the parts from the old tractor without having to cut welds was a big help.

I spent about 4 or 5x what it would have cost me to buy a garden tractor with a loader from a local ad (and several came up while I was building), even scrounging "hard", just by buying stuff that in the end didn't work, having to remake stuff, or breaking stuff. Developing your own design is harder than it looks, even if you have a good idea of what you are doing. Buying plans is very good. Starting with a complete unit and adapting it to your needs is even better.

I have a metal lathe, and a pile of scrap from a friend, so made my own bushings. If I had to buy it, I would look for DOM with maybe a 1/4" wall on ebay and/or onlinemetals.com (there are a couple of other reputable metal dealers online too, I will at least vouch for these guys because I have used them and gotten good service).

Some of my pins are drilled from one end to a cross hole, and the outside end tapped 1/4-28 for a grease fitting. Other pins are solid and the side of the bushing is drilled and threaded. I used whichever approach seemed to best fit the situation at the time. For pins and bushings, as long as you keep it greased, I very much doubt you will wear out mild steel on a homeowner use machine. If you want you could sleeve your bushings with brass or bonze/oilite, or bearing nylon, but as long as you keep it greased I am not sure the return is there. If you had work for it for 8 hours a day you could afford a real machine you could buy parts for so you could focus on making money, and that machine would have those features, but for an occasional weekend machine, not so much.

For main structural, I used 2x2x1/4" and some 1-1/2" pipe. Probably more than sufficient for your stated needs...but I will also say that weight of dirt and gravel add up quick. At about 2 tons a cubic yard, 350 lbs. is only about 3 cu ft. That means 9 trips to get that cubic yard of material moved. If you look at videos of people working with a tractor-loader-backhoe with a one yard bucket, and how many trips they make to get a job done, you can really start to see it add up.
Which is not to say that this isn't worth doing, 350 lbs. a loader picks up is that much less on your back with a shovel. Just have reasonable expectations on how much work you can get done.

To get back to materials, I also used more of that scrap pile, which had a bunch of trailer hitches and things in it. Would have all come out looking a lot neater and more professional had I just forked over the cash up front to get "real" materials. I probably would have used 2x3 or 2x4 for the uprights were I to do it again. Also, longer main lift cylinders (but the small ones I have are not necessarily a bad idea...they run out of lift right about when I run out of traction on my tractor, so it all works out).

If you haven't found it already, look at the front spindle upgrade on Spindle Upgrade

And maybe consider buying and building his plans, too, they look fairly well thought out.

And another vote for the Cadplans.com guy, he has also been around for a while, and is also a member of these forums.

Here's my little mongrel:
526358d1509130368-grapple-project-open-source-2nd-murray-fel-jpg

/ garden tractor loader #6  
remember when your putting a front loader on a your tractor that it has to be as back towards foot plates as far as possible so not to put a lot of weight on front end when driving also if in front to much the weight will make for hard steering and possibly bend front axles from driving over uneven ground (like big stone ) just my thought. also when building your loader, you can make your tank in with loader by using square tubing under and up rights as the tank . when welding uprights to 4" tube make sure to drill hole for oil then weld in uprights and there is your tank plumb it at top for fill,close as you can to bottom for pump and return about 3/4 up on uprights. hope this helps:)

Resurrected after fifteen years! I wonder if that's a record?

/ garden tractor loader #8  
This is one I made for my Bolens and ended up trading off before I got all the Hyds and pins cut. Your mower looks like it well be a little harder to put a loader on.

Attachments

• IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    810.4 KB · Views: 162
   / garden tractor loader #9  
Totally missed the zombie thread, sorry...

/ garden tractor loader #10  
No no need to apologize, it is good information that will benefit someone in the future when it shows up again on a google search.

A search for Versahandler is how I found TractorByNet and it was a three year old thread. :thumbsup: