Gun Holder Ideas wanted

/ Gun Holder Ideas wanted #1  

Botabill

Platinum Member
Recently I've been having trouble with coyotes. Occasionally I'll see one while I'm on my tractor so I'd like to have my gun mounted safely on the tractor where I can easily pull it into action. Anyone have any ideas. I have a roll bar on my BX 1800 that may offer an anchor point but there may be better spots to mount it. Thanks.

/ Gun Holder Ideas wanted #3  
If by "gun" you mean rifle or shotgun (as I would probably just carry my Mod. 19) I like the floor mounts they make for trucks and LEO vehicles. The scabbard designs are nice, but slow on the draw. If you see him, he sees you. Cabelas also sells these. Here's a basic one that could easily be adapted to a tractor.
p041643sq01.jpg

/ Gun Holder Ideas wanted #4  
How about a swivel mount for a pair of M2 "Fifties". That ought to scare away any old Coyote. (Make sure to police your brass soldier)

Botabill said:
Recently I've been having trouble with coyotes. Occasionally I'll see one while I'm on my tractor so I'd like to have my gun mounted safely on the tractor where I can easily pull it into action. Anyone have any ideas. I have a roll bar on my BX 1800 that may offer an anchor point but there may be better spots to mount it. Thanks.

/ Gun Holder Ideas wanted #5  
around here, there are several ranchers with scabbarded rifles on their tractors & ATVs for pest control of the dog packs we've got. For some reason, folks seem to think that dumping that litter of rottie crosses out in the country is a good idea once they figure out the puppies will grow into dogs too big to keep in their townhouse/apartment. Unfortunately, if they live to adulthood, they're very efficient at taking down the cattle the folks out in the country are trying to raise to feed the city people... Couple years back a neighbor potted 3 of 5 that were attacking one of his herds -- he only got 3 because they were the ones who came after him. The other 2 ran the other direction.

the nice thing about that gun boot (other than the fact their price has come down over the past couple of years) is that if completely encases the rifle to protect it from brush, dirt, and the weather, plus most of that style are lockable for secure transit if you ever travel with your long arms.
the bad part about it is it completely encases the rifle making it slower on the draw.

given that, I'd lean towards something along those lines if you're looking to buy a finished product. (you can always leave the top part off and have a good scabbard) You could mount it on your "strong side" fender so it's ready to hand and it'd probably do you well.

If you were going to make something yourself, I'd buy a $3 gun sock (or sew one up out of an old blanket) and make a scabbard out of HDPE (plastic barrel) Plastic barrels are cheap and cut easy with sabre saw or rotozip. (they also make great sleds!) - and you can soften the plastic with a heat gun to form your scabbard around the rifle in the sock to fit it. (The sock protects the rifle from dirt in the scabbard and keeps it from rattling) When finished, it'll look sort of like an old leather scabbard - only thicker and blue (or whatever color your barrels run up there)

/ Gun Holder Ideas wanted #6  
Erik brings up a good point about having a rifle scabbard attached to the tractor ... homemade or store bought. That's exactly what I got. It's easily reached for quick access an relatively out of harms way. It does get dusty if I do a lot of brush grapple work or dirt loader work, but not that bad. I just wipe down the rifle at the end of the day.

Mine is strapped to my left fel mount. Depending on where I work the tractor, I switch between shotgun, .22, m1 carbine or 30-30 saddle gun. I got mine at Sportsman's Guide Sportsman's Guide Rifle Scabbards but you do a search online for rifle scabbards and get lots of hits.

/ Gun Holder Ideas wanted #7  
What a coincidence bringing this up.
I was plowing our meager bit of snow on Thursday, and went two driveways down to help my neighbor, who was walking outside with a snow shovel.(blasphemy!)

He told just two mornings before that, when he was leaving for work, he saw 4 coyotes in my driveway. :eek:

We have known coyotes were making a comeback in the east, and have even had numerous reports, btu this seals the deal, 4 of them!

I may have to keep something a little closer at hand than in the gunsafe.

/ Gun Holder Ideas wanted #8  
Rob,
I like that dual "extinguisher" mount on your FEL -- oughtta have all your bases covered with that!
;)

/ Gun Holder Ideas wanted #9  
I would think the hardcase style would probably be best because it'll help keep the dust and debris off your firearm and keep it from getting too scratched up.

Be careful with state laws though, if the DNR (or whoever handles such issues in your state) happens to see you shooting at things from a vehicle (or tractor), they could raise a big stink about it. Just a suggestion to carefully check out the local laws, I'd hate to see anybody have a gun or even the tractor itself confiscated because of the law.

/ Gun Holder Ideas wanted #10  
Erik_in_Hoyt said:
Rob,
I like that dual "extinguisher" mount on your FEL -- oughtta have all your bases covered with that!
;)
Yeah, after I light up the coyote with the M1 I can put it out.:D

IMHO, keeping the firearm covered and out of the dust is secondary to having it immediately available. At least in my case where the reason I carry it is to dispatch snakes, coyotes etc immediately. Where the opportunity disappears if immediate action is not taken. Which is the reason I use my "saddle" guns which can take a little dust. You won't see me throw my Weatherby in there.

David is right about not shooting from the tractor either. Try to jump off and grab it then make the shot, clear of the road and tractor. Avoid any such activity if in sight of public roads or even neighbors. If you're in the deep woods that's another thing. Be certain of your backdrop and know where your bullet will end up. If you use common sense, it goes a long way. Remember too that Game Wardens can come on your property uninvited.
My property is pretty isolated and all my dirt roads are private. I also have a valid hunting license.