Railroad track weight ?

/ Railroad track weight ? #21  
railroad iron makes a good leveler if you cut a hole in the thin part in each end and use chains to hook to your front bucket you can smooth and backdrag with it. We use it in the oilfield with a backhoe or under the frontblade of a dozer for fine finishing and leveling.

/ Railroad track weight ? #22  
bigdad said:
Rail is weighed by the yard. Like ......132 lbs. per yard. It is not necessarily Federal, though the Feds are heavily involved with standards and safety. I know, I am a Signal Inspector. The Federal Railroad Administration calls the shots.

Scrappers are very careful about accepting RR stuff, because some folks are not that picky where they pick it up or possibly take it out of the track. With the price of copper we have quite a time with wire theives too. It's all a safety issue that scrappers don't want to deal with.

How's that?
In our area we were without phone service for about 3 days because some theive stole the telephone wire off of the telephone poles. There have been several other areas near here that have had similar incidents happen. They have also been stealing catylitic converters off of cars in parking lots at shopping centers and demolitioning air conditioner units for the coils. They caught one man cutting down telephone lines recently and on the local news chanel they said that he had about three hundred feet in his vehicle of phone line and when they went to his house he had a huge amount of metals there. I have heard that they have been stealing from scrap yardss also. If someone had of had an emergency during our phone outage and needed to get 911 they would have been out of luck. If it costs someone their life they ought to go after them for murder if they are caught. I heard also that they caught a pawn shop with a lot of stolen merchandise and have linked it to an apparent theft ring covering several states.

/ Railroad track weight ?
jtlee said:

WoW!!! That is really impressive, I need to dig out tape measure again, I do know It's real heavy for an old guy like me
I want to thank you very much for that link, I will save it
Jim
:)

/ Railroad track weight ? #25  
I also have some pieces of rail. Some long, some short. Here's one piece I keep on my box blade for added weight. The rail piece, (6 Ft), weighs around 300 pounds. I welded a holder for it on the box blade. I unchain it to take it off.

Attachments

• Box Blade 2-21-2007 001.jpg
    Box Blade 2-21-2007 001.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 479
   / Railroad track weight ? #26  
Just look on the rail for a XXlbs mark. That will tell you the weight of the rail - if it is 100lb rail then each 3 foot section weighs 100lbs. If it is 85lb rail then each 3 foot section weighs 85lbs, ETC.

When I was still on the rail we used to change them by hand. A flat car would haul them out and a speed swing would unload them (speed swing - think of a wheel loader with bogeys that fit the gauge of the rail. The wheels would rest on and drive the bogeys, which rested on the rail and would roll the speed swing along. Oh yeah, the speed swing had quite a few cool attachments).

The rail was generally dropped as close as possible to the spot where we had to change the rail. We would then drag it into place using rail tongs. We didn't have CWR (Continuously Welded Rail) and our longest rails were 72' long, with a lot of 39' rail. 39' rail was the biggest that we would have to move around by hand. The lines that I worked were all 100lb rail so a 39' piece weighed 1,300lbs.

Because we didn't have CWR, our rails were bolted together with a bar on both sides of the web. A special drill clamped onto the rail and drilled out the holes for us on the new rail.

If we were doing an emergency replacement we would generally use 13' rails. If those were changed in the winter we would have to go back in the summer to make sure that the rail didn't expand enough to kink the track. Similarly, if we changed a rail when it was too hot we would have to go back in the winter and make sure that the rail did not contract too much and leave too much of a gap (otherwise the trains would "batter" the rail ends, creating more work).

HTH

EDITED TO ADD: PS .... we cut the rail with a chop saw.

/ Railroad track weight ? #27  
Here's what you need to do with that rail...

Make weiner dog sculptures!

You'll need an 18" piece of track, 5 rail spikes and a large chain hook about 5" long, also found along rail lines.

Weld one spike at each corner of the rail with the point of the spike heads all facing the same way, so it looks like 4 legs holding up the rail.

Weld the 5th spike to the rear pointing up and angled back. That's the tail.

Turn the chain hook over and weld the small end to the face of the rail. Looks like a weiner dog head.

My uncle used to make these and sold them as door stops... very heavy door stops. I wish I had one. :)

/ Railroad track weight ?
Do you have pictures? that sounds nice
:)

/ Railroad track weight ? #29  
Our basement drive in door has a piece of rail for a floor sill. The fellow who built the house in 1936 was a railway engineer.:D :D

/ Railroad track weight ? #30  
Egon said:
Our basement drive in door has a piece of rail for a floor sill. The fellow who built the house in 1936 was a railway engineer.:D :D

That's interesting, never have to worry about getting out of true. If it was a salvaged piece, just think of all the people that rode on it over the years. All this talk about rail road track makes me want to take up my neighbors offer to take that piece down, from up between her two trees, probably just throw a rope over it and pull it down.

Another thing that caught my eye in your post is that my house was built in 1936 also, not a big deal except that there was not a lot of new residential construction at that time due to the great depression here in the U.S., Canada was probably experiencing similar difficulties?