Railroad track weight ?

/ Railroad track weight ? #1  

MrJimi

Elite Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
Case 1845 C Skid steer
Yesterday coming home from the airport I found a short piece of RR track on the side of the road, It is 6'6" long and 5.25" at the base and 5" tall and real heavy, do any of you know what it would weigh per foot or something?
Thanks
Jim
:)

/ Railroad track weight ? #3  
I have a piece about 18" long and I can barely lift it!

mark

/ Railroad track weight ?
Thanks, I do know there is different size track, I have 5" tall and I hear the stuff in use now is 7". Whatever it weighs, I grabbed one end of it and I thought I would just sit it the truck bed, I parked wrong and I had to lift the whole thing in and slide the rest in.
It is real heavy :eek:
good counter weight :D

/ Railroad track weight ? #5  
Railway track has many different weights depending on the track design.:D

I'fn I recall correctly its weight is related to a three foot length???:confused: :confused:

/ Railroad track weight ? #6  
You are correct the track is weighed as a 3 foot length. So, what that means is if you have a 105lb track it is 105lb/3 ft. I have worked a lot with crane rail and it's the same way, but with anything there are many variables with rail on how its rolled and finished.

Craig

/ Railroad track weight ? #8  
I'm surprised you were able to lift 6 and half feet of it, must have been one of the smaller varieties or your related to Arnold, I've seen track near the switches that you would not lift 2 feet of it, it's so big. My neighbor has a 20 foot section propped up between to tree crotches, it was used for lifting a camper off a truck, don't know how they got it up there but it must have bee long ago as the trees are dead and that thing is dangerous the way it is now, she said I could have it if I can get it down, thought it would make a good drag leveler, doesn't look like the larger variety.

/ Railroad track weight ?
JB4310 said:
I'm surprised you were able to lift 6 and half feet of it, must have been one of the smaller varieties or your related to Arnold, I've seen track near the switches that you would not lift 2 feet of it, it's so big. My neighbor has a 20 foot section propped up between to tree crotches, it was used for lifting a camper off a truck, don't know how they got it up there but it must have bee long ago as the trees are dead and that thing is dangerous the way it is now, she said I could have it if I can get it down, thought it would make a good drag leveler, doesn't look like the larger variety.

I'm surprised also, I had a hernia operation in Oct of 2006 when I picked up one end of a 750 pound H beam. And I weigh 170 pounds and 60 years old, I'm more stupid than strong :eek:

/ Railroad track weight ? #10  
The weight of rail is in accordance to the size. There is, for example 80lb which is 80lbs per foot. The height of yours is probably an 45 or 55lb weight. which would make it about 297 to 363lbs. Give or take a few pounds. Just do a internet search on rail standard. I think there is a federal standard.