Adding teeth to front end loader

/ Adding teeth to front end loader #1  

toolmaan

Is there a easy way to add some gripping teeth to a front end loader bucket? Have about a 5 ft bucket and want to do a little bit of digging with it.

/ Adding teeth to front end loader #2  
The best way is a removable toothbar. Do a search for "markham" and "toothbar" and you will find hundreds of post's about them.

Markham Welding - Tooth Bar

/ Adding teeth to front end loader #3  
What Kenny said.
That link he gave you is a good one.
You can call them and they will get one fit to your bucket. The way they make theirs with a hard cutting edge and teeth with replaceable tips, it's almost not cost effective to try to make your own.
A toothbar from them is well worth the couple hundred bucks they get for them.

/ Adding teeth to front end loader
Thanks for the info

/ Adding teeth to front end loader #5  
If he wanders back in, Spiveyman is our resident expert on installing a toothbar. Only took him a few months to get it installed, bless his heart.
David from jax

/ Adding teeth to front end loader #6  
If you order from Markham, they will ask you for the interior dimensions of your bucket. Don't try to second guess the clearance as they will subtract 1/4 inch from the dimensions that you give them.
I'm very satisfied with my markham toothbar. I discarded my JD bar to get it.

/ Adding teeth to front end loader #7  
A toothbar is great. I fabbed one up a few years ago and the results were amazing. It used to take me two or three passes to fill a bucket but after the bar I could make it spoil up over the top in one pass. And yeah, I won't spend the time or effort to make one myself again.

bjepple

/ Adding teeth to front end loader #8  
ragkar said:
If you order from Markham, they will ask you for the interior dimensions of your bucket. Don't try to second guess the clearance as they will subtract 1/4 inch from the dimensions that you give them.
I'm very satisfied with my markham toothbar. I discarded my JD bar to get it.

So what did it cost and what size did you get?? BG in Iowa

/ Adding teeth to front end loader #9  
Several years ago I welded up a tooth bar for my B8200's bucket, using forged steel combine teeth and a 3/8" x 4" bar... it's worked great, and cost me about $50 if I remember right. I posted some photos, which I guess would still be available? If you have a small tractor, one with limited lifting power, like mine, then I think my approach is good, assuming you have time.

/ Adding teeth to front end loader #10  
wmgeorge said:
So what did it cost and what size did you get?? BG in Iowa

I bought mine from Markham three years ago for $210, 60" bucket.