Log Skidding

/ Log Skidding #1  

vongiese

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2210D, Sany SY35 Excavator, Kubota 4060LE,
I'm curious how people skid logs with their tractor? Has anyone made a gizmo that would allow you to back up to a log, lower the 3pt and with tongs or something, grab the end of the log lift it up and skid away? Or an arch - a 2 wheeled trailer that actually lifts up one end of the log as you pull it out oof the woods.
thanks

/ Log Skidding #2  
i drop a chain around the log and hook that to my bucket on the front end loader, lift the bucket, and drag backwards.

you can kill yourself fairly easily skidding logs if they catch on anything [like a stump].

you would be amazed at how fast your tractor will flip over when held fast suddenly.

never drag a log without the end being raised to clear obstacles.

if the tree was too long to navigate, i cut it into manageable sizes.

we are only cutting for firewood, so board length is not an issue.

being lazy, i only cut the tree to smaller lengths when i have too. [one drag verses several].

de-limb that thing too, limbs can get caught and toss you over too.

they sell skidding tongs to bite into the log, but i have been ok with just a chain.

/ Log Skidding #3  
I was told that if you have to skid logs up hill and your pullin them in straight line with a chain to run it through the center of your tractor with it connected to the front. he said it pulls the front of the tractor down so you wont flip over backwards. Im not sure how safe it is or if it works.

/ Log Skidding
I wonder how a set of tongs mounted on a drawbar would work? Could back up to the log, lower the 3pt, grab log with tongs. Would need enough lift height to get the tongs and the end of the log off the ground. Would skidding like this be too tough on the 3pt?
Center of gravity is a real concern,. I like the cooncept of putting the chain on the front of the tractor, but as long as the weight is below the real axle (like on your swinging drawbar) you should be OK. Otherwise, it's something to pay attention to.
The bucket method is good to - I'll probably try it out, but going backwards is a pain in the neck!
Thanks for the ideas!

/ Log Skidding #5  
I think your idea using a 3pt drawbar would work, but getting the bar up high enough to lift the log might be a problem.
Did you see the arch in the thread
http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin...ber=126652&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post126652

It might be along the lines you want to consider. Hooking a stump or anything is a concern, but when I pull, I pull in a slow (low) gear, and there is plenty of time to react to the front of the tractor lifting up - that is to either stop pulling, or shut off the tractor. Any of these two reactions keeps me from upsetting the tractor. When pulling a big log, the front end may get light and require steering with the left and right brakes. If there is weight on the front of the tractor, it decreases the need to use the brakes to steer. Adjusting the amount of lift on the 3pt arms will also control the amount of lift on the front of the tractor.

I've logged an average of 6 cords of wood a year for 40 years using such as system, beginning with a Ford 8N, then a TO-30 Ferguson, a JD 420, and now a JD 4300. The tractors keep getting better, but the logging arch is the same.

/ Log Skidding #6  
also a question about lifting with the 3pt, would that then act as a lever against the rear axle? [when you bring the weight above the axle]

/ Log Skidding #7  
VG, check the thread on "Treepuller and logs" just a few days old. Several people had some good things to say about skidding logs and had links with pictures.

/ Log Skidding #8  
Mike, one other thing, a strike against the 2-wheeled cart, is it does not add any weight to the rear wheels to pull the load.... no incress in traction.

/ Log Skidding #9  
About 15 years ago I made a two wheeled device for transporting logs. I still use it today and will supply pictures as soon as I get a digital camera, hopefully in a week or so.

The unit I made can handle a log up to 16 feet long 12 foot is more comfortable. Diameters are limited to something around 24".

It works by lifting the whole log off the ground which puts about 20% of the logs weight on the on the drawbar of the tractor. With the whole log off the ground there is less chance of the log striking a stump that the tractor would not hit and it keeps damage to sensitive areas to a minimum.

On smaller diameter logs I can carry two or three at a time.

Try to get pictures soon.

Randy

/ Log Skidding #10  
I'll be very interested in seeing your pics as I would like to build something like that someday.