Boom Pole Questions

/ Boom Pole Questions #1  

garren

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 with HST/R4 Tires
I was thinking of building a boom pole that will hook onto my pallet forks frame... of course I thought I better consult here before beginning.

I've got a plan for the mounting but my main questions are concerning the pole itself.

I have several pieces of scrap pipe but not sure which is best for this.
Our choices are: 1 1/4" black gas pipe or 1 1/2" drill stem pipe?? (super thick).
I also have some 2 7/8" well casing (seems like overkill).

The black pipe looks similar to other projects on here and is about as thick as rigid conduit. Will it be thick enough?

Is that center support down the middle that looks like a vented rib on a shotgun the key to the strength. Whats that piece called anyways?

How long should I make it?

How much weight will it lift?

I know the answers will depend on what I will be using it for...but I don't really know yet...I just want one.

Probably just general use. Maybe lift some trusses...pull an engine...fish my neighbors barking dog over the fence and bury it with the backhoe?

Thanks in advance -
Garren

/ Boom Pole Questions #2  
Garren, you should get lot's of different replies on this one. I made my first one from 3" pipe about 10' long, It bent. I now have a piece of 4" 10 feet 6 inches long and I slide the 3" inside for more reach for light stuff. I will follow this thread and I have some pictures in my galleries
Jim
:)

/ Boom Pole Questions #3  
WR Long sells a kit for exactly what you're doing. While it is designed to fit their forks, it might give you some ideas...click here...

/ Boom Pole Questions #4  
You can look at my pictures to see the pole I made to get some ideas.
Homemade equipment.
One thing about boom poles. I made my hitch set up to match the Land Pride implements. I found out the hard way that by doing it this way the boom pole does not have as much lift travel. I made about a 6" extension to bolt in the top link part of the pole. The more distance betweeen the lift arm pins and the top link pin the more boom pole lift travel you have. I hope I didnt confuse anyone. :)

/ Boom Pole Questions #5  
I made mine to go on the bucket. Kept it short so I could lift more weight.

M.D.

Attachments

• bucket boom front.JPG
    bucket boom front.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 3,321
   / Boom Pole Questions #6  
Size matters....
I needed help setting my trusses. My friend John wasn't busy...

Attachments

• IMG003.jpg
    IMG003.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 1,748
   / Boom Pole Questions
bjcsc said:
WR Long sells a kit for exactly what you're doing. While it is designed to fit their forks, it might give you some ideas...click here...

Thanks to all that have replied.

With the picture of WR Long setup and porky's pic it makes we rethink my whole design. I really like the orientation of the pole in relation to the pallet fork frame. I would have never thought of that.

Also, judging from MrJimis past experience I better use the largest pipe I have. It doesn't appear that it will be overkill after all.

- Garren

/ Boom Pole Questions #8  
Here is a link you may find helpful. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/93887-loader-mounted-boom-pole.html

The "rib" you mentioned, I call a bridge. It increases the strength greatly. It transfers the bending into tension and compression.

I made mine using 2" square tubing. Here are some pics of it before it was painted.

My pics:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...orks-reciever-hitch-756677-boom-extended2.jpg

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...om-pole-forks-reciever-hitch-756676-boom2.jpg

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...rks-reciever-hitch-756678-reciever-hitch2.jpg

/ Boom Pole Questions #9  
Making the "bridge" taller will greatly increase the strength. It works like a spreader on a sailboat mast. You don't need a continuous "keel" or bridge. It is enough to have a strut at right angles to the boom pole and a rod or cable running from one end of the pole to the other as well as up and over the strut (spreader) forming two triangles. Additional triangulation (like in a truss) is good if needed, depending on your intended load, preferred safety margin, and the strength of the materials used.

The strut (spreader) will be in compression and the rod, cable, or whatever running end to end over the spreader will be in tension. The bending moment will be reduced and the pole itself will be in compression. So long as you keep the pole "in column" and don't let it develop a curve you are pretty safe.

If there are ever any side loads, you need to repeat the vertical spreader treatment on both sides too. Likewise on the bottom if you will ever push down on anything with the pole.

Pat

/ Boom Pole Questions #10  
Find an old 3pt boom they are a usually $40 to $100 on the local farm auctions then start welding from there. Save money time & still get to do some fab work.