Harris or Smith propane/oxygen torch set

/ Harris or Smith propane/oxygen torch set #1  

dirt ditch

Veteran Member
Tractor
Have been looking at 2 propane/oxygen cutting torch sets from different manufactures and need to decide which set to go with. One is a Harris cutter pac sold by Sears (2007-2008 Craftsman catalog page 135 #0920225). The other is a Smith Equipment HD-510LPT Heavy Duty Dual Guard Outfit on ebay.

Have a good idea which set will probably get but thought I would see if any one on the forum had used either of these torches or knows something about them.

/ Harris or Smith propane/oxygen torch set #2  
Harris has always been a top torch maker, but if Sears is involved, I'm immediately thinking it's a lower spec model. Sears doesn't sell industrial strength anything. Victor is my personal favorite, but you didn't ask about them.

/ Harris or Smith propane/oxygen torch set
I have not seen any Victor sets, but I just ran across these 2. I do like the Smith set better. It will be a couple of months so I can keep looking.

And your right about Sears.

/ Harris or Smith propane/oxygen torch set #4  
I agree on the Victor. I have used a smith a few times and they seem to be fine. Don't think I have ever used a Harris.

/ Harris or Smith propane/oxygen torch set #5  
I use Smith at my shop, tried the Victor and so so, you pay a bit more for Smith but 20 years from now you can buy any part you need

/ Harris or Smith propane/oxygen torch set #6  
I have used both of those brands and both are quality. For all around cutting with Propane, either will do all that you need. Check the rated capacities and make sure that you are comparing equivalent units.

Mike

/ Harris or Smith propane/oxygen torch set #7  
I don't own either as I am in the market myself but the Lincoln Electric/Harris unit I saw at Sears was the same or higher priced than some Victor and Smith units available at Cyberweld.com - Welding Supplies - Miller, Hobart & More or WeldingDepot -- Mig Welders, Arc Welders, Welding Supplies. My local welding supply has a sale on right now that includes a much nicer Victor for not a lot more that the Sears unit.

Unlike a previous poster, I often find Sears tools that are speced slightly better than the brand that manufactures for them. However, an O/A kit is not where I want a homeowner or hobbyist quality unit at all. I jsut don't want to worry about it.

I have a related question. How long do the smaller tanks in porta-a-torch style units last? Are they a reasonable alternative for occasional use? The Victor unit I looked at had the same torch as the lower end Victor but a shorter hose set. The reason I ask is that the separate cylinders are pretty expensive but if the porta-a-torch does not last long enough to be practical; I don't want it. Thanks.

/ Harris or Smith propane/oxygen torch set #8  
Those porta torches are made for soldiering and if you need to burn a piece in to, you better start with a full bottle and hope it is a small piece to cut because your ARE GOING TO RUN OUT OF OXYGEN!
As far as the O/P, I have both Harris and Smith torches (and victor also)
I use each about as much as the other and actually prefer the victor over the other two, in the torch end. However, the flowmeter on my Tig torch is a smith, and it is at least 30 years old. I have had it for 20 and it has never failed, never been rebuilt, and the two victors sets I have for the torch both have been gone thru and they are only 15 years old. Might be comparing apples and oranges, but Smith appears to make a very good product. Might also look at the warranty on the Smith, as for some reason I think they might be lifetime.
David from jax

/ Harris or Smith propane/oxygen torch set
   / Harris or Smith propane/oxygen torch set #10  
sandman2234 said:
Those porta torches are made for soldiering and if you need to burn a piece in to, you better start with a full bottle and hope it is a small piece to cut because your ARE GOING TO RUN OUT OF OXYGEN!
As far as the O/P, I have both Harris and Smith torches (and victor also)
I use each about as much as the other and actually prefer the victor over the other two, in the torch end. However, the flowmeter on my Tig torch is a smith, and it is at least 30 years old. I have had it for 20 and it has never failed, never been rebuilt, and the two victors sets I have for the torch both have been gone thru and they are only 15 years old. Might be comparing apples and oranges, but Smith appears to make a very good product. Might also look at the warranty on the Smith, as for some reason I think they might be lifetime.
David from jax
I agree on the small tanks, I have 3 sets. They are more for silver solder than cutting, if your cutting you better be fast, thats why 3 sets LOL.
I've had a full size Smith for years, it ok. Small set is a Harris, had it close to 30 years, it's time for hoses.