Need a Structural Engineer - Concrete Wall

/ Need a Structural Engineer - Concrete Wall #11  
The concrete blocks and floor sound knida rough on water-softened feet and hands. Scraps and chlorine = Ouch!

BTW - I've seen a bunch of threads lately asking for help from engineers. I'm not sure if many people know this, but engineers carry a great deal of liability when we make a recommendation or suggestion. We are going through this at work where casual observations and comments have turned into litigation and loss of licensure. Sounds nit picky, but on the otherhand, it causes engineers to see through an entire project if their name is on it. Also it clearly defines "stamping" of plans as illegal unless under direct supervision.

I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade, but I am trying to explain why most licensed engineers will not pipe up and start recommending things to people.

/ Need a Structural Engineer - Concrete Wall #12  
Look into a prefabricated concrete tank like a cistern. There are companies out there that specialize in that sort of construction and it will be cheaper in the long run.

Craig

/ Need a Structural Engineer - Concrete Wall
You are right. Perhaps I worded it wrong.

I am building a concrete container.
I need a structural engineer familiar with such construction,
and I very well may consult with a PE before I start.
But for now, I'd like opinions from the smart folks we have here.
Some of them may even be engineers. I value all opinions.

I am thinking a minimum of a 1 foot wall between two 8 inch block walls.
Fill the blocks with concrete and anchor it all to the slab.
Use lots of rebar and concrete wire. What do y'all think.

Pooh Bear

/ Need a Structural Engineer - Concrete Wall #14  
what about just finding a 12 ft or so diameter pipe and setting it on end, then poor the floor and line the whole thing?

/ Need a Structural Engineer - Concrete Wall #15  
Your idea will work Pooh.:D :D

It may even be overkill!:D :D

/ Need a Structural Engineer - Concrete Wall #16  
Pooh_Bear
Any old silo's around your area?

I looked at one for a water tank but couldent come up with a good way to hall all the blocks and rings.

I'm sure they can be rearrainged to a larger diamater from a smaller one.

tom

/ Need a Structural Engineer - Concrete Wall #18  
tommu56's idea will definitely work. During my masonry apprenticeship I helped plaster two ferro cement sailboats. These were 40' boats. 6 plasterers & 4 tenders working start to finish. When cured they would ring like a bell if struck with a 2x4. The owner gave me a book, which I loaned & never got back, that described the process. The most critical part was the ratio of steel to concrete. MikeD74T

/ Need a Structural Engineer - Concrete Wall #19  
The ferro cement will work but is very steel intensive.

Back about 40 years or so there was a surge in ferro cement boats as it looked cheap and simple to build. It's very labour intensive and does require consistency during construction. Mistakes are not easily covered. As people found the amount of labour and quality required they fell out of favor. These type of boats have been around for many many years. :D

Another poster may recall a post in which he mentions the number for sail in Hawaii after the first crossing!:D :D

/ Need a Structural Engineer - Concrete Wall #20  
I am not a structural engineer.

The floor of the tank should rest on well compacted good base material. Rebar isn't as important here as it is on the sides.

As you indicated the block acts as a form for the poured pool. You're going to need a lot of rebar in the vertical walls. There is nothing *pushing back* on the walls as there is on the floor. You need more rebar towards the bottom as this is where your greatest force is. I would use 20 ft rebar and a lot of overlap. Consider channel block to hold the rebar (horizontal and vertical rebar) Then fill the block with concrete.

You need a good joint where wall meets floor. Consider ell shaped rebar. I would size the thickness of the slab for good rebar coverage at the floor. A six inch slab would give over two inches of coverage for the rebar.

Dry stacking the block might be an option if the arcs are smooth enough. Quickrete makes a product Quickwall which is used for dry stack block. It has a smooth finish and is supposed to be water proof (not necessay with inner poured wall) They also make a product to assist in waterproofing the floor joint.