Qk Attach vs DIY Pallet Fork?

/ Qk Attach vs DIY Pallet Fork? #1  

RichT

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B26
I have a 60" quick attach loader with bolt-on cutting edge (Kubota). The quick attach pallet fork rig runs between $500-$700 depending on manufacturer. The alternative is to weld up a pair of DIY clamp-on forks as pictured. These were made for a BX22 loader using heavy gauge channel steel, cost was less than $50 in scrap metal.

So purely on cost the DIY approach is the obvious choice. However, I have heard stories the clamp-ons can cause the bucket edge to bow. Has anyone had this problem with a reinforced cutting edge bucket using the clamp-ons?

Attachments

• full_side.jpg
    full_side.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,197
   / Qk Attach vs DIY Pallet Fork? #2  
When I built mine, I did the chain/dog version over the top of the bucket. I've got a toothbar and had to angle some flat steel so that it would fit/hold. The loader will pick up a ton and a half so I needed a pretty sturdy set up. I'm of the opinion that the chain spreads the weight over the entire bucket rather than the leading edge of the bucket. If you're not gonna pick up more than a couple hundred lbs, I wouldn't worry about it though. BobG in VA

Attachments

• Forks2.JPG
    Forks2.JPG
    466.4 KB · Views: 2,492
  • With toothbar.JPG
    With toothbar.JPG
    474.5 KB · Views: 1,657
   / Qk Attach vs DIY Pallet Fork? #3  
RichT said:
I have a 60" quick attach loader with bolt-on cutting edge (Kubota). The quick attach pallet fork rig runs between $500-$700 depending on manufacturer. The alternative is to weld up a pair of DIY clamp-on forks as pictured. These were made for a BX22 loader using heavy gauge channel steel, cost was less than $50 in scrap metal.

So purely on cost the DIY approach is the obvious choice. However, I have heard stories the clamp-ons can cause the bucket edge to bow. Has anyone had this problem with a reinforced cutting edge bucket using the clamp-ons?

The quick attach set-up should also get you more net lift capacity. The farther away from the tractor the load is, the less the tractor can safely lift. The clamp on forks push the load all the way to the front of the bucket.

If you are capable of welding up a set of forks, why not make your own quick attach forks? You can buy the quick attach plate and then build from there.

/ Qk Attach vs DIY Pallet Fork?
Villengineer said:
The quick attach set-up should also get you more net lift capacity. The farther away from the tractor the load is, the less the tractor can safely lift. The clamp on forks push the load all the way to the front of the bucket.

If you are capable of welding up a set of forks, why not make your own quick attach forks? You can buy the quick attach plate and then build from there.

Interesting idea. So the major components would be the QA plate and a pair of pallet forks? Would I need anything else?

/ Qk Attach vs DIY Pallet Fork? #5  
RichT said:
Interesting idea. So the major components would be the QA plate and a pair of pallet forks? Would I need anything else?

You could do it a couple ways depending on your best/cheapest way to get forks.

First option, I would look for a cheap set of ITA II forks and a used ITA II forklift carriage or an old ITA II sideshifter. You really only need the fork bars and the smaller the cross section the better. Most of these ITA II carriages/attachments are rated around 5,00 lbs @ 24" LC which is usually way more than the average compact's loader can lift anyway. If you can find one of the sideshifters which have an open frame design all you'd need to do is get rid of the SS parts and add the QA plate and maybe a couple gussets. I used one to create a 3-point set of forks. I now have a relatively lite attachment which is capable of lifting way more than any of my tractors. Also, if you can find a set of what are called full taper forks you can get the same capacity with less weight.

The other option would be if you found some pin mounted forks cheap. Again, you'll want the smallest ones you can find for the amount of weight you want to lift. The carriages for pin forks aren't complex, just look at what they do with front-end loaders and/or off-road forklifts for ideas. Just do the same on a smaller scale.

The thinner and lighter you build, the more net capacity you can achieve.

Hope this helps.

/ Qk Attach vs DIY Pallet Fork?
Yes, it does help, thank you. I guess the key is finding some used, lightweight forks that will work.

Theres a fellow on ebay that sells the skid steer QA plate for $85 + shipping. If I started with this plate, I could fab fab the necessary structure to attach the forks to the plate. Sort of along the lines as the one in the pic.

Attachments

• Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 962
   / Qk Attach vs DIY Pallet Fork? #7  
my forks

Attachments

• 600.JPG
    600.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,047