chain harrow for food plots and smoothing out dirt

/ chain harrow for food plots and smoothing out dirt #1  

mossbergman11

im trying to make a chain harrow that i can pull with my 4 wheeler, lawn mower or tractor to make food plots this spring/summer and to smoothe out stuff. im not interested in spending 150 dollars to buy one that i could make. any help or suggestions or pictures would be great.
thanks
mossbergman11

/ chain harrow for food plots and smoothing out dirt #2  
Other than a piece of chain link fence, a pipe and some chain, $150 is cheap.

/ chain harrow for food plots and smoothing out dirt
daBear said:
Other than a piece of chain link fence, a pipe and some chain, $150 is cheap.

they are actually more like 250...my bad
how would i make one of these?

/ chain harrow for food plots and smoothing out dirt #4  
I built my dirt drag pretty cheap, I used horse panel welded to 1" sq tubing frame with a piece of chain to hook up to, it works pretty good.

would a chain link fence work? if i put a rod on the end to pull it and put some weight on it to push it down?

wushaw said:
I built my dirt drag pretty cheap, I used horse panel welded to 1" sq tubing frame with a piece of chain to hook up to, it works pretty good.
do you by chance have a picture of it? i dont understand what your saying

/ chain harrow for food plots and smoothing out dirt #7  
Well there is quite a difference between a chain harrow and a chainlink drag. A chain or blanket harrow has teeth and is made up of a bunch of twisted interconnected links. The teeth can be down and forward(agressive cut), down and to the rear(less agressive), and teeth up which provides smoothing similar to a chain link fence drag.

If you just want to smooth something, that is already relatively loose(like an arena or driveway) a chainlink drag is easy to build and relatively inexpensive.

If you want to rip/breakup the soil, such as to put down seed for the food plot, you are going to need something with some teeth.

The difference between the chainlink drag and the chain harrow is like the difference between 40 grit sandpaper and 250 grit sandpaper.

I don't think you are going to easilly be able to fabricate a chain harrow as there is a lot of bits to bend up and interconnect. That is probably why they cost so much. You might also find it difficult to tow with a quad or lawn tractor. I have a 5' square one, and I can barely tow it with the teeth up with my 27HP sears garden tractor, teeth down, I might as well be trying to tow a live oak tree... They have a lot of drag towed teeth down.

You might try something like a thatching rake with weight on it to break up the soil and clear off the debris so the seed will find the soil. Then follow along with a chainlink drag to help cover the seed.

I have used heavy wall pipe for the chainlink drags I have built in the past. I fold the chainlink around the pipe and lace it to itself. I then weld/attach the drag chain to the ends of the front pipe.

/ chain harrow for food plots and smoothing out dirt #8  
   / chain harrow for food plots and smoothing out dirt #9  
RonMar said:

Stealing Ron's excellent picture. (Hope you don't mind Ron!!)

Buy a 8' tall x 50' long section of chain link fence.
Unroll it on the ground.
Cut down a nice straight tree that is about 24" in diameter and section out a hunk that is a bit over 8' long (100 inch is the usuall length).
Put that on one end of the fence and bolt the fence to the tree in 8-10 spots and wrap the log with the fence. leave about 10' out. Bolt the fence to the log again so it won't unroll.
Put a 12" diameter log on the other end of the fence and roll it up 1 wrap so there is the 6' gap between logs. Bolt the fence to it.
Screw in some big eye-bolts to the butt ends of the big log and run chain from it to the 3pt lift arms.
start dragging.

/ chain harrow for food plots and smoothing out dirt #10  
john_bud said:
Stealing Ron's excellent picture. (Hope you don't mind Ron!!)

No problem. An 8' long X 24" diameter log? Now that's a drag!