Work Platform/Lifting Platform

/ Work Platform/Lifting Platform #1  

akpilot

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I needed the ability to move fairly heavy objects (four wheelers, snow machines, concrete mixer, etc) up to my storage area in my shop, the bucket wasn't nearly big enough and the height of the area was such that I couldn't lay the bucket down flat on top anyway. I also wanted a Platform that I could change out shop lights and wash upper windows on the house etc? So here is what I came up with, I load tested it with my wifes four wheeler. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3204.JPG
    IMG_3204.JPG
    535.6 KB · Views: 1,142
  • IMG_3209.JPG
    IMG_3209.JPG
    542.1 KB · Views: 950
  • IMG_3210.JPG
    IMG_3210.JPG
    541.4 KB · Views: 915
  • IMG_3211.JPG
    IMG_3211.JPG
    539.7 KB · Views: 943
   / Work Platform/Lifting Platform #2  
Nice work!!! Looks rigid.

Brad

/ Work Platform/Lifting Platform #3  
Looks great! Hope your wife doesn't know you used her quad for the load test.:eek:

/ Work Platform/Lifting Platform #4  
I like your lift. However, I would recommend making a backstop (2-3' high) for the platform. Easy to do and would prevent anything from falling or rolling onto the tractor/operator. I would also recommend a floor that is firmly attached to the lift. Some day you step off to the side without thinking, the boards are going to flip and so will you. (Been there, done that.)

/ Work Platform/Lifting Platform #5  
Dont the boards slide into the slots on top of the box section?

Nice fabrication however I agree with radman on the back stop idea. I saw you had a ratchet strap tie down on the back of the buggy to hold it in place but I'd still prefer peace of mind with a solid guard rail between the load and operator.

Not being picky...:rolleyes: ... but did you keep the lower angle braces that far back for a reason? My first impression was the platform would be stronger if the braces were extended farther out, maybe half way out along the platform, but then you may have a reason for keeping them back that far...:confused:

That platform is one cool idea and I am really jealous of your shop :eek: nice space...

/ Work Platform/Lifting Platform #6  
I don't know if you designed it this way or not, but your board retainers add a lot of support. They have the same effect as a truss.
Great idea too using the wife's quad as a test.

/ Work Platform/Lifting Platform
Thanks for the comments!!

I plan on installing a backstop/handrail using the open ends of the top square tubing. Yes I did make my lower braces short for a reason and hoped the "truss"/ board retainer would make up the difference. I wanted the lower braces short so I could set the whole platform, flat on top of the storage area when not in use. The one thing that I do have to be carefull of is the "roll rate" is very quick :eek: because of the long arms. Not a good idea for an inexperienced operator.

/ Work Platform/Lifting Platform #8  
Blagadan said:
Dont the boards slide into the slots on top of the box section?

Your right. The boards slide into the slots on the top. Didn't notice it the first time. I thought it was built that way just for extra platform strength. Good idea.

/ Work Platform/Lifting Platform #9  
It looks good. Could you please give some basic dimensions. I'm guess you started with standard QA plate and added from there?
Oh and I'd love to see your storage area from a distance.

Wedge

/ Work Platform/Lifting Platform
Wedge
The QA plate I built, w/1/4" plate and 2&3" 3/8 strip steel. The Sq tubing for the main frame is 2" 1/4" wall, 7' from QA plate to the end, the short risers between the platform boards and the strip steel on top are 1 1/4" x 3/16" with 2"x12"x8' platform boards.

I added one picture that shows the QA plate a little better and one pic that shows part of the storage area (part over the office), the other part (to the right) is over the wood shop with a little ramp in between. As you can see the shop is still under construction, hopefully I can finish it this year. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3207.JPG
    IMG_3207.JPG
    496 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_3212.JPG
    IMG_3212.JPG
    484.5 KB · Views: 455