Cat I plow to Cat II tractor

/ Cat I plow to Cat II tractor #1  

sunspot

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 3910 86'

I bought a 2 bottom plow to renovate some ground that has not been worked in a long time.
The plow has a stubby Cat I pin that is machined as part of the plow. It's to short to use an adaptor on as the lift arm is a bit wider then the pin with nowhere to use the lynch pin.
Cats100911Small.jpg

I welded 2 bushings together to make a longer one. I'll need to drill a hole for the lynch pin.
Cats10121Small.jpg

Cats101011Small.jpg

At this point, I need to secure the bushing to the lift pin. I was thinking of using a drift pin but I am wondering if it would hold up to the strain of working the plow.
Another thought I had was removing the arm of the plow and taking it to a welding shop to have the bushing welded to where the bushing contacts the plow arm.
Cats10051Small.jpg

Please give opinions or thoughts on what I am trying to do. Is there a better way?

/ Cat I plow to Cat II tractor #2  
sunspot said:

I bought a 2 bottom plow to renovate some ground that has not been worked in a long time.
The plow has a stubby Cat I pin that is machined as part of the plow. It's to short to use an adaptor on as the lift arm is a bit wider then the pin with nowhere to use the lynch pin.
Cats100911Small.jpg

I welded 2 bushings together to make a longer one. I'll need to drill a hole for the lynch pin.
Cats10121Small.jpg

Cats101011Small.jpg

At this point, I need to secure the bushing to the lift pin. I was thinking of using a drift pin but I am wondering if it would hold up to the strain of working the plow.
Another thought I had was removing the arm of the plow and taking it to a welding shop to have the bushing welded to where the bushing contacts the plow arm.
Cats10051Small.jpg

Please give opinions or thoughts on what I am trying to do. Is there a better way?

What brand/model of plow? The drawbar is most likely available in a CAT I and CAT II configuration. I'd just swap drawbars. Also, CAT II drawbar should be 4" wider than CAT I.

/ Cat I plow to Cat II tractor
Thanks for the quick reply. It's a MF 42.:D Right up your alley what with Massy. I did not know about replacing the plow part. Thanks.

Here is a picture.
Picture9123456789010012Small.jpg

/ Cat I plow to Cat II tractor #4  
#42? Or is it a #43? At any rate, now that it's a Massey plow, you're back to square 1. The CAT II drawbar from a CAT II model plow will be a larger diameter. It won't fit without a little modification to the 2 brackets that hold the drawbar in place.

But... For what it's worth, that's a good plow. LOTS of throat clearance. Really good in heavy weeds/stalks/surface trash. I've been searching for a decent one (at a reasonable price) myself.

My bad. I went back to look. It's a 43.
FWJ, do you think my idea will work? Any suggestions?:D

/ Cat I plow to Cat II tractor #6  
I would not want to weld up the plow - that makes it junk for resale.

Finding a new hitch bar for an old plow can be pretty expensive.

You have a good idea with drift-pinning your welded sleeve to the cat 1 pins, that is what I would do. You need a tight, slop-free fit for this to work....

If you have a quick hitch, these sleeves are already made for you. If my link doesn't work, it's part: SKU Number: 0265325

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_33778_______14345|14346|14347|14350|33778?listingPage=true

Most farm supply stores sell these, as well as any farm dealer. You may be able to find some without the collar that would work without a quickhitch.

--->Paul

/ Cat I plow to Cat II tractor #7  
sunspot said:
My bad. I went back to look. It's a 43.
FWJ, do you think my idea will work? Any suggestions?:D

A roll pin sounds like an acceptable way to hold your "adapter bushings". I agree that welding would be a last ditch option. No good way to eturn to original. That plow is easily worth $350 to $500 to the right buyer, maybe even more as time goes along. If you ever decide to attempt to find a CAT II drawbar, call Nolt's Equipment in Newville PA. If you need the #, let me know. I have it at home. He's got an endless supply of everything "Old Massey Ferguson".

rambler said:
SKU Number: 0265325

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_33778_______14345|14346|14347|14350|33778?listingPage=true--->Paul
I was able to pull it up. It looks good. the lengh is 4" overall. Even with the collar, it may be a "Go".
Thanks.

I'm sad to report that the quick hitch sleeves will not work. The shoulder diameter is 2" and the sleeve is 1 1/2"? I need 1 1/8". If I had a lathe it would save me some welding but I don't, so gas welding it is.