Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere -420's & 455's

Default SoilMover - Scraper

I acquired a SoilMover-Scraper copied and built by MJ from an original SoilMover sold as allied equipment for John Deere garden tractors in the late 1960's. The roll-over bowl style scraper was raised and lowered by a rear hitch on the tractor. A cable hooked to the tractor, operated the apron (gate) to open and close the scraper bowl.

After trying it out, I was dis-satisfied with the apron control and decided to rebuild the apron controlto be operated by hydraulics. I have a John Deere 420 which has 3 hydraulic functions, including a three point hitch and two other controls. I removed all of the cable mechanism and sat down at the CAD system and designed a new actuator.

The 36" wide scraper has an approximate 1/3 cu. yd capacity and fill in 15 to 20 feet. The new hydraulic gate control can spread from 1-2" to 4" deep and is now easily controlled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -hydscraperredu-jpg   -apron-operation-jpg   -sideview-scraper-jpg   -scraper-test-april-6-jpg   -side-view-loading-jpg  

-hydroapronconst-jpg   -overall-hyd-dump-jpg  

Tractor

Default Re: SoilMover - Scraper

This is what is looked like before hydraulic apron control. Note the cable attached to the upper 3 point hitch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -cable-operator-redu-jpg   -0230cropredu-jpg  

Tractor
    YM 1510-D

That is great! Have you found that you can control the digging depth easily? You control that with the 3pt? Since the dump is mechanical rollover function, how do you control the spread of the dirt? I know that the apron would hold it back, but it would still dump with the bowl upside-down.

Great mod to a useful "toy."

Mike
    "In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." Solomon
    YM1510D, YM 1202 tiller, The following home made tools: Quick Hitch, KK copy dirt scoop, imitation Gannon rollover box blade, Forks on 3pt, a Rear Blade with gauge wheels and a 1.5 yd dump trailer.

Tractor

The cutting edge of the bowl rolls over to a dump position stop. By gauging the height of the 3 point, you control the height of the cutting edge, which controls the depth of the spread of the material. It takes a little practice, but you can spread form 1 to 4" deep, depending on the material your moving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -hydscraperredu-jpg  
    John

The bitterness of the poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the cheap price is forgotten.

John- Very nice .... Any chance you can post some larger pics?
    BX24

Tractor

Thanks,
    I posted several larger pictures as requested. Anything specific you would like to see?

Cutting edge is 36" wide.
    Holds approximately 1/3 cu. yd. heaped.
    Can spread from 1 to 4 inches in depth - depends on the operator and the soil.

Also removed the bowl trip rope and added a cable and a trip latch lever - see the last (right) picture. The trip rope doesn't "cut the corner" now, so you can dump going around a corner.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -soilmover01-jpg   -soilmover02-jpg   -soilmover03-jpg   -soilmover04-jpg   -soilmover05-jpg  

Last edited by trrjohn; 04-09-2008 at 07:44 PM.
    John

The bitterness of the poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the cheap price is forgotten.

Thanks John for the larger pics. How much trouble does that tractor have pulling the scraper? Does it hang up "scooping" up the sod? It seems like it works pretty well.
    BX24

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 5200 2 wd

Quote Originally Posted by trrjohn
    I acquired a SoilMover-Scraper copied and built by MJ from an original SoilMover sold as allied equipment for John Deere garden tractors in the late 1960's. The roll-over bowl style scraper was raised and lowered by a rear hitch on the tractor. A cable hooked to the tractor, operated the apron (gate) to open and close the scraper bowl.

After trying it out, I was dis-satisfied with the apron control and decided to rebuild the apron controlto be operated by hydraulics. I have a John Deere 420 which has 3 hydraulic functions, including a three point hitch and two other controls. I removed all of the cable mechanism and sat down at the CAD system and designed a new actuator.

The 36" wide scraper has an approximate 1/3 cu. yd capacity and fill in 15 to 20 feet. The new hydraulic gate control can spread from 1-2" to 4" deep and is now easily controlled.
    Very cool. I want one.

Paul

Tractor

The tractor is an old JD 420 with a replacement 24hp Honda engine. Traction is not a problem with reasonable - 1-3" cuts. I haven't tried it in solid sod yet - too wet. I believe that it will work best if you scarify the sod first - BUT I will let you know in several weeks. It loads a heaping scraper in 15 to 20 feet in a mix of weeds, clumps of grass and moist earth. I also will try pulling it with my JD 455 diesel.
    John
    John

Tractor
    YM 1510-D

Yes John thanks for the larger pics. I would love to have something like that to move some sand around here. Better than a wheelbarrow anytime!!

Mike
    "In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." Solomon
    YM1510D, YM 1202 tiller, The following home made tools: Quick Hitch, KK copy dirt scoop, imitation Gannon rollover box blade, Forks on 3pt, a Rear Blade with gauge wheels and a 1.5 yd dump trailer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast